1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Expected Revenue?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by PersonalEdge, Nov 24, 2013.

Hello,

I am trying to start a website, Currently in the brainstorming stage however I plan to move forward with a web programmer as I don't believe I have the skills necessary to create the "final product" i am looking for.

It is a game website. However for income I plan on using solely ADs, more specifically CPM ADs. I want to try and surround each game with 2 Leaderboards Top/Bottom, And left/Right skyscrapers. All of this should fit on a single page without scrolling, To avoid anything "below the fold", unsure if I used that term correctly.

I imagine traffic of 1000 Users per day shouldn't be too difficult, I plan on using various methods to get the website out there. The traffic should be all from north america, However a lot of the traffic could be refreshing the page anywhere from 10-30 Times. Is this considered bad traffic?

I am hoping for a CPM of $4.00 Minimum, Is that unreasonable for the amount of ad space, expected traffic/Geographic location?

Also is it possible to directly integrate the Ads into the website to circumvent programs such as ad block?

PersonalEdge, Nov 24, 2013 IP
  2. PersonalEdge

PersonalEdge Peon

Best Answers:
    I also forgot to ask, Is it possible to have both CPM + CPC Revenue?

Thank you

PersonalEdge, Nov 24, 2013 IP
  3. makeit easy

makeit easy Active Member

Best Answers:
    1000 visits per day is too difficult even for old sites.

Refreshing is bad. Auto-refreshing is worse. It will end up with losing your ad account.

It's high. If you plan to pay for traffic it's too high.
    I don't know the answer. I wouldn't show ads to people who don't want to see ads. If I had only 2 options, ads or visitors, I would go for visitors.

Depends on ad company. CPC oriented companies usually offer both CPC and CPM ads. But they don't allow publishers to choose only CPC ads or only CPM ads.
    CPM oriented companies usually offer only CPM ads.

In practice, you can display CPM-only ads through a CPM oriented ad network since they don't offer CPC ads. But it's hard to disable CPM ads entirely and display only CPC ads. Yes, you can display only text ads to disable most CPM ads. But some CPM ads are text ads.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
    makeit easy, Nov 24, 2013 IP
  4. PersonalEdge

PersonalEdge Peon

Best Answers:
    Would say 100, be a more achievable number?

What if it would be required to view content, each time you "refresh" a random game is selected? Would it be more acceptable to load a random page instead?

I don't really plan to pay for traffic at the moment going to try to just spread the word myself, However how much do most publishers make? less then $1/1000?

Thank you very much for answering my questions I really appreciate it.

PersonalEdge, Nov 25, 2013 IP
  5. efansite

efansite Member

Best Answers:
    Making the assumption that the ad companies haven't already ran into people who use refreshing to get more "impressions" is a bad idea you will lose a lot of the time. Getting a site to 100 visits a day isn't to hard once you pop for a keyword, if you know what you are doing, getting it to a thousand isn't hard depending on the key word.

efansite, Nov 25, 2013 IP
  6. makeit easy

makeit easy Active Member

Best Answers:
    No. 20 visits per day, or 500-1000 per month is more achievable. I am talking about free, natural number of visitors coming from search engines. Of course it depends on many factors like content quality and quantity. But as far as I noticed, most of the fresh sites don't receive 1000 organic visits per month in the first 6 months.
    1000 organic visits per day is really difficult even for old sites. I guess very small portion, most probably about 1% of all the sites can receive 1000 visits per day.

Yes, since it's not automated. However it's not preferred. Because CPM is paid for the first display of the same ad to the same visitor. Second display will pay less. Even some small ad networks with less advertisers may not have another ad to the same visitor. So, they might display the same ads to the same visitor for free or they might serve completely free ads like the ads of some non-profit organizations. That's why refreshing is bad even if it doesn't end up with getting banned by an ad network.

It depends on content and visitors. Game sites have low CPM rates.
    To have higher CPM rates,
    Visitors should be able and willing/looking to purchase something.
    Content should be about some high priced products or services like cars, house, jewelery, financial/health/travel/education services, etc. Because most ad networks serve ads relevant to content. So, game sites display game related ads and games are not really high priced products like a $100k per year education or a $3k travel package. Those content may have $30+ CPM, probably 10+ times of game content.

makeit easy, Nov 25, 2013 IP
  7. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That's not true. 1,000 visits a day is nothing. If you think it's an unattainable goal you are either very new to this or not doing too well. With that said, after reaching such a negative line I chose not to continue reading the rest of your post.

NetStar, Nov 25, 2013 IP
  8. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    An ad on the Header, Footer, Left, and Right without scrolling? This is something that draws well on paper but looks absolutely ridiculous in your browser. Do this... get some bright colored construction paper.. Cut out 4 strips. Tape them to your monitor. Imagine surfing the web in the middle of those obnoxious colors... This won't work. People won't want to play your game. It sounds very annoying. Less is more when it comes to advertising.

I ran a test years ago on my social networking web site. We had so many ads people just stopped clicking. When we reduced the ads that's when our CTR increased.

As for $4 per 1,000 impressions on a Gaming site.. That sounds far fetched. For games and social networking it takes a lot of impressions to receive an ad click. They aren't information seekers so they will not be so click happy.

NetStar, Nov 25, 2013 IP