1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Blog or Website?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by davieb, Apr 24, 2014.

1. cpoalmighty

cpoalmighty Member

Best Answers:
    To be honest, I think you would be better off with Shared Hosting in the very beginning since you never know how fast you may grow. It could be within 1 week, or even 1 year. You never know...but one thing is certain, once you remain consistent with your hosting choices, it will be very easy to upgrade once the need arises.

One issue I am not seeing anyone addressing is the issue of rendering for different clients such as desktops, tablets and mobiles. It varies depending on what the person is using to view those videos so you will have to have a script which stores that same video in about 3 different formats to render it correctly for each of those clients. That is why youtube and vimeo is so popular....the ordinary person does not have to worry about that because it is automatically done with these video uploading sites. My suggestion is to start with the shared hosting and utilize the power of youtube or vimeo to save on diskspace and bandwidth troubles.

cpoalmighty, Apr 25, 2014 IP
  2. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think such advice came from the intention of the thread starter to host their videos locally, even when he got the advice about a service like YouTube. If he strongly stands behind this decision then ANY shared hosting would not be appropriate. You are strongly limited on space, traffic, CPU, file types and those limitations would surely kick in sooner rather than later. This is why most honest hosts clearly explain to potential clients that their account are not suitable for storage. And that is especially true for video files.

That is my opinion as well, OP simply has the wrong question. Blog or website, or a combination of both would work perfectly well for you if you do it right. But the question of how to store and distribute the videos is really as thing that will influence what host and hosting package to choose. I won't bring up again the topic about EIG owned hosts (HostGator, BlueHost, Ipage etc.) and their deteriorating quality, I will simply advice you to sit down, clear all foggy areas about your website plans and then search for a smaller host that can apply that personal touch and really care about your project. Check the Hosting Offers here and in other hosting forums, visit their Live Chats and speak with the people that might eventually become your hosting partner, this is the only way to truly see how knowledgeable and effective they are before you make a rushed decision.

Hope that helps ;)

Rado_ch, Apr 26, 2014 IP
  3. sweetpea69

sweetpea69 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not doubting anything said above and your definitely right on with it, but it's clear OP is pretty new to it. It's easy for anyone to think they have an instant million dollar idea, but that's ~rarely the case. All I'm saying, the path of least resistance is sometimes easier. Go cheap, you can always upgrade, and use youtube to host the videos. Those things can be changed later on, opposed to sinking hundreds a month on hosting, before you have the right experience to get what you need done. It could months upon months before anything materializes, and in the mean time your/his site is only accumulating debt. That doesn't make much sense to me.

sweetpea69, Apr 26, 2014 IP
    Rado_ch likes this.
  4. Joshie

Joshie Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Seems that a lot of people recommends Wordpress and so do I, too. Wordpress would be absolutely the best way to go as you can use it almost for anything you wish as a starter to advanced/expert. So I would recommend use Wordpress and then use Youtube to upload videos and embed them onto your website that uses wordpress. Most of top bloggers do these including myself (note I am not the top blogger) and beside you can monetize from Youtube using the videos on your website, that would save you so much space for anything because videos would eats up your space quickly so why not upload videos on Youtube so you won't have to worry about using much of spaces on your hosting while getting revenue through monetized Youtube videos.

As goes for hosting, I would recommend you to go with shared hosting for a starter. If you need a hosting, let me know and I would be glad to set you up and help you at least start it up and get going. Send me PM if you would like me to.

Joshie, Apr 26, 2014 IP
  5. KonRadicool

KonRadicool Active Member

Best Answers:
    haha was going to say the same, beat me to it :)
    Regards
    Konrad

KonRadicool, Apr 27, 2014 IP
  6. sam.desuja

sam.desuja Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    A blog is a website, but it follows a loose format. Usually, the content is posted by a single user. It's kind of like an online diary. You can set one up for free at WordPress.com. You can enter your favorite links and write updates or upload photos. Your entries are arranged by date.
    A website is a more general term. A website can be anything that you would see on the web. YouTube is a website, Google is a website, YahooAnswers is a website, etc...

sam.desuja, Apr 28, 2014 IP
  7. Joshie

Joshie Notable Member

Best Answers:
    While that is true, however you can customize Wordpress in anyway you wish. It can even become a website if you modify it such as change the design and put a CMS on it. Surely it won't be fully website, but it'd be website/blog mix some sort.

Joshie, Apr 28, 2014 IP
  8. Foxxy

Foxxy Active Member

Best Answers:
    This should not be a consideration in 2014. Most modern web templates are designed responsively so that it doesn't matter what device the person is using, they will always get a page that is rendered properly.

Foxxy, Apr 28, 2014 IP
  9. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Except that the videos need to be converted too.

The last few replies don't appear to be taking into consideration that the OP wants to create a video upload and sharing site - especially @sam.desuja

sarahk, Apr 28, 2014 IP
  10. Commoner

Commoner Banned

Best Answers:
    Hey Dude,

A blog or website can share information, do use CMS like WP, Joomla or preferred options.

A website is more towards commercial usage or selling business services.

A blog is more towards a sharing community and interactive manner.

However, both are likely to intersect each other.

Best Regards,
    Commoner

Commoner, Apr 28, 2014 IP
  11. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    So you are saying he wants a blog given that he wants people to interact by uploading videos?

sarahk, Apr 28, 2014 IP
    Foxxy likes this.
  12. Commoner

Commoner Banned

Best Answers:
    Hi Sarahk,

Somewhere along that line, it depends on preference. Lets say he likes to interact through a non-formal manner, a blog should be the way.

In addition, he can include a comment box, chat room or contact forms to further reach his desired community.

May I know if this is feasible?

Warmest Regards,
    Commoner

13. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I guess until we hear back from @davieb we're just guessing.

sarahk, Apr 28, 2014 IP
  14. Commoner

Commoner Banned

Best Answers:
    I concur.

A basic blog is able to perform uploading of videos, in turn having a one-way communication to the audience. If he unlock the comments section, it would be the traditional communication system.

What is imperative is audience wanted an immediate response and no frills type hence it be advisable to input chat boxes and instant comments private rooms for better communication purposes

Wondering,
    Commoner

15. Patricia Ann Lee

Patricia Ann Lee Active Member

Best Answers:
    Nowadays, I believe that blog and website are no different at all..

Patricia Ann Lee, Apr 28, 2014 IP
  16. Commoner

Commoner Banned

Best Answers:
    No-no,

There are still differences else corporate websites would have a paradigm shift towards blogging platforms.

Moreover, the question on nature of appointment is different and instilled deeply upon us, website for corporate image and blog for personal usage.

17. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I missed that memo.

You'll find lots of companies using blogs and lots of personal projects using websites.

Lets take a little case study of a site similar to the one the OP wants to set up. YouTube is a "website" in that it is a site accessible on the web but it's not a blog. It does represent the corporate entity that is YouTube yet those who visit the site do so for "personal use", not because they want to do business with the company that YouTube represents.

sarahk, Apr 28, 2014 IP
  18. Commoner

Commoner Banned

Best Answers:
    Hi Sarahk,

You've a point there :D
    Everything is connecting now

Good Day,
    Commoner

Commoner, Apr 29, 2014 IP
  19. Joshie

Joshie Notable Member

Best Answers:
    People can interact by uploading videos, especially videos sharing website. Some website that has wordpress installed and turned it into videos in social media type of website. To not advertise or anything, look at one of my friend's website so to get the idea of this example better: DeafVideo.TV

Joshie, Apr 29, 2014 IP
  20. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Plus, one of my long-lasting dreams is fulfilled in the new WordPress version 3.9 and they now support audio and video galleries too, apart from the standard image ones. Makes it even easier to create a video sharing website, even if not having the blog outlook of the website.

Naming all their updates after famous Jazz musicians makes me an even bigger fan of WP (if that wasn't obvious so far) :D

Rado_ch, Apr 29, 2014 IP
    sarahk likes this.