1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it true about FaceBook and Twitter?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by Jahsun, May 31, 2014.

I have done a little research and found out that Facebook is owned by many government agencies to spy on people. Is this true?

Also twitter but i assume more people gravitate to Facebook

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
    Jahsun, May 31, 2014 IP
  2. Coolman1980

Coolman1980 Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think so... I know the government and state & local law enforcement agencies do watch over them, because I've seen more than just a few occasions where someone would post something stupid about what they did and they get arrested soon after, but I highly doubt any government owns facebook or twitter.

Coolman1980, Jun 1, 2014 IP
  3. funmom91

funmom91 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I would not say that they own the websites. However, they do keep an eye on them and posting something you should not can get you in trouble really quickly especially when it is a serious crime, such as the girl who did the bomb threat on Twitter. However, even though they may not be government owned keep in mind whatever you post on the web is always there. So, therefore, if you do not want something out there about you illegally or legally you should not be posting it on the web in the first place because anyone can access it.

funmom91, Jun 1, 2014 IP
  4. kenzo22

kenzo22 Member

Best Answers:
    It would be too obvious if any agency owned Facebook. But, when they are suspecting someone of commiting a crime, they can ask Facebook to provide them with everything they've got. And it's not a secret that Facebook agrees to do that. So better don't plan any crimes with your friends on Facebook chat ;)

kenzo22, Jun 1, 2014 IP
  5. Coolman1980

Coolman1980 Member

Best Answers:
    It's actually federal law for any network to disclose any suspicious activity to law enforcement. If they refuse, they can be charged with obstruction of justice and possibly other things, should they agency choose to do so.

Coolman1980, Jun 2, 2014 IP
  6. Sam42

Sam42 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Facebook owned by government agencies seems to me a lot like those constipation theories. Though I do believe that they will be quickly given any information from social networks per request.

Sam42, Jun 5, 2014 IP
  7. Coolman1980

Coolman1980 Member

Best Answers:
    Yea, people get paranoid about the government... Fact is, regardless who owns what network, if you haven't done anything wrong and have nothing to hide, then you don't have anything to worry about. Common sense (unfortunately, it's rare).

Coolman1980, Jun 6, 2014 IP
  8. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I seriously hope you are being sarcastic there.

@op, your research is entirely wrong and missing the point as well. The governments of this world have effectively(quite effectively apparently) full on tapped everything. LITERALLY EVERYTHING.

Nigel

Nigel Lew, Jun 6, 2014 IP
  9. Coolman1980

Coolman1980 Member

Best Answers:
    This is not about research, friend... This is about who owns facebook and twitter and they are privately owned. The Governments can tap all they want, but that doesn't make them the owners.

Coolman1980, Jun 7, 2014 IP
  10. MayurKawale

MayurKawale Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    no I don't think so...... In some countries there are some restriction on FB but it is not true...spying etc???

MayurKawale, Jun 9, 2014 IP
  11. MariaB0

MariaB0 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I highly doubt it!

MariaB0, Jun 9, 2014 IP
  12. mac nepal

mac nepal Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I also dont think so, because facebook was launched by an individual and it can not be for spying purpose. Is it possible to spy on millions of people with that much activity?

mac nepal, Jun 9, 2014 IP
  13. Hamza Huzaifa

Hamza Huzaifa Member

Best Answers:
    Its not owned by the government. But the Government has every right to look up in to Facebook accounts without permission. They're the government. You can't argue with the government!

Hamza Huzaifa, Jun 10, 2014 IP