1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Start your new online business from home without spending a single penny.

Discussion in 'General Business' started by PrashantShah, Nov 24, 2014.

Hi,
    I just started my new online business and making good profit so far. I learned a lot from this forum and I want to give it back, so I would like to share how you could too start an online business and of course without spending a single penny.

STEP1
    Register your account on Etsy.com .
    I will also get 40 listings free, so a win win situation for both of us :)
    I prefer Etsy over ebay because the competition is less and products sells like crazy. Etsy only allow handmade creations, vintage goods, and craft supplies.

STEP2
    Start selling handmade items like necklaces, jewelry supplies etc (You could easily find it in nearby stores)

STEP3
    Listing costs 0.20$ per listing (You will get 40 free listings if you register using my link). Etsy also charges transaction fee.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2014
    PrashantShah, Nov 24, 2014 IP
  2. Somen

Somen Active Member

Best Answers:
    Prashant, I think you need to be a craftsman yourself to sell / trade in products at ETSY. Even if you are not, you should some how carry some kind of a proof - certificate / photograph, whatever, which would suggest that you are directly associated with the crafts project. This was the rule when I checked up some 3 - 4 months back. I am not sure if they have made some changes to it.

All the best! :)

Somen, Nov 24, 2014 IP
  3. PrashantShah

PrashantShah Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I opened my shop without providing any proof, certificate etc...I think they have changed the rules now!!

PrashantShah, Nov 24, 2014 IP
  4. Somen

Somen Active Member

Best Answers:
    That is great news Prashant. However, just check / review their rules before you invest heavily. Read between the lines as a precautionary measure. The last thing you would like to have is being banned. Best wishes.:)

Somen, Nov 24, 2014 IP
  5. lifeplayer

lifeplayer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Never heard about this website but all the good/well known product selling website is start from unknown. By the way, there is another big point to be considered is the shopping cost, it normal happen to those small product/low cost product that the shipping cost is higher than the product and make very less margin

lifeplayer, Nov 25, 2014 IP
  6. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    My wife prefers Etsy over Ebay. I don't know what's up with Ebay, but it seems like handmade stuff/crafts don't sell all that great on it anymore.

qwikad.com, Nov 25, 2014 IP
  7. Ramagrawal

Ramagrawal Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi Prashant, No change in Policy - Please go through Etsy Guidelines - Handmade items are designed and created by the shops that sell them. Because transparency matters on Etsy, we ask sellers to list shop members and share information about manufacturers involved in creating their items. Reselling an item you were not involved in creating is not allowed in our handmade category.

Ramagrawal, Nov 27, 2014 IP
  8. rlymike

rlymike Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    My girlfriend sells quite a bit on Etsy and they police these standards relatively heavily. You will be banned if they determine that you are not creating the goods.

rlymike, Nov 30, 2014 IP
  9. Somen

Somen Active Member

Best Answers:
    True.

I think Etsy is a different market as compared to other e-commerce stores.

Somen, Nov 30, 2014 IP
  10. Bestservices4u

Bestservices4u Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    OP, I suggest you to create your own website and do SEO. Start building high PR links on your website till it ranks. Once you start getting natural traffic, then selling is a breeze. Just my 2 cents.

Bestservices4u, Dec 1, 2014 IP
  11. Naina S

Naina S Active Member

Best Answers:
    Etsy recent search update has proven to be a disaster for old sellers there. Sellers are crying in etsy that their conversion is down by over 90%.
    So i don't thinks opening an account in ETSY will be a win win situation.

Naina S, Dec 2, 2014 IP
  12. joecool6101

joecool6101 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Even if you create your own goods.. Etsy can and WILL ban your account and hold all money in your shop payment account for 90 days. Doesn't matter if you fill out their questionaire and send in 100 trade secret pictures.

joecool6101, Dec 6, 2014 IP
  13. Ramagrawal

Ramagrawal Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I am owner of the workshop where in artist make stone idols, its all hand made, have opened a shop on Etsy but no response yet...any suggestion or better platform ??

Ramagrawal, Dec 8, 2014 IP
  14. Somen

Somen Active Member

Best Answers:
    @Ramagrawal, what other channels are you using to promote your products. Some info on your existing efforts should help us share more inputs.
    Thanks. :)

Somen, Dec 9, 2014 IP
  15. PartnerwithJackie

PartnerwithJackie Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I have a question Prashant.. So I could go to my local store or flea market, get home made crafts, and sell it for a higher price on Etsy?

PartnerwithJackie, Dec 9, 2014 IP
  16. Ramagrawal

Ramagrawal Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    @Somen I have listed my products on Amazon and Snapdeal in India and using facebook for promotion, need to know the better ways of promotion specially to attract international buyers, I am getting a website designed also

Ramagrawal, Dec 10, 2014 IP
  17. Somen

Somen Active Member

Best Answers:
    @Ramagrawal - Generally, being in Amazon, you can use their affiliates to promote your products. This process will be tedious as there are millions of products listed out there, along with your competitors.

So, if you are a new entrant, you should focus on getting as much customer reviews for your products in Amazon. These should be genuine reviews.

You may also explore CPA networks to get these reviews, wherein a reviewer gets a sample from you by submitting their contact details (email ids). You build you own list as well as get product reviews over a period of time which serves dual purpose. Getting more positive reviews also helps your product appear in Amazon searches (niche) for a specific star ratings.

Look for JV partners in complimentary niches. Your immediate objective should be to let people know about your product and its features.

Start an in-house affiliate program and go all-out to promote the program. If your resources permit, get yourself enlisted in affiliate networks like Shareasale, Linkshare, CJ etc.

You should already have had a website. If it is not yet ready, get it done ASAP.

Hope this helps. :)

Somen, Dec 10, 2014 IP
  18. AlexZog

AlexZog Member

Best Answers:
    Here is another source, free marketplace - Glabex.com, comparing with Amazon or etsy you do not pay any commission on your sales or listing, additionally store is free to set up and upload as many products as you want.

AlexZog, Dec 25, 2014 IP