1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why Do Fiverr Clone Sites Fail!

Discussion in 'General Business' started by dscurlock, Apr 10, 2015.

I am thinking about setting up a gig site, and as I do more research, I
    noticed that the fiverr clone sites that I visit are long gone, then I wonder
    if it is the buck crazy cross eyed names that they give their sites. ie:
    (as far as i know, most of these are still open for business...)

PeoplePerHour (yikes, sounds like a sweat shop)
    SeoClerks very popular, even though clerk means secretary.
    GigsClerk - "gigs" is a trademark violation of fiverr
    mycheapjobs - this is the best this cheap ass could come up with?
    Fourer - actually, nice looking gig site, er...
    SocialHawkers - sounds like a fantasy football team.
    Gighours - What time is it? Time to go to gighours...
    Fiverup - really?
    gigbucks Sounds like I have to pay a gig fee....
    HubWit - huh?
    GigBlasters - 90's heard of those email blasts...
    Tenbux - friend of neobux?
    My1Dollar - out of business, not surprised...

Even though most of these make very little sense....
    I have run across many more inactive urls that make no sense....

Can anyone clarify on this?

Thanks

dscurlock, Apr 10, 2015 IP
  2. syda

syda Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I don't think it has so much to do with the name of the site, as it does with the fact that it's a clone. In my opinion, clones never make it. Have you seen any successful Facebook clones out there? It would be possible to make it work, but it needs a huge investment. It would be better to come up with an original idea, something that others will be cloning after you have succeeded.

syda, Apr 10, 2015 IP
  3. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    you are right, but I am not a facebook fan, so I would not really know about facebook clones; however, I am
    sure there are all types of social sites out there, and you make a good point about clones most not making it, as I
    suspect most just buy some cheap script, and put it up with no unique improvements what-so-ever, but I have
    seen some low quality fiverr clones that appear to be doing fine, surely no where near the level of fiveer,
    but they do not need too, and there are always people looking for decent Alt Fiverr sites, but I have to admit
    that 90-95% have gone down, while others are still up a few years later, maybe they have good marketing skills. :)

dscurlock, Apr 10, 2015 IP
  4. Xochitl Shatt

Xochitl Shatt Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    We thought Fiverr was an excellent site which is, I assume, determined by the amount of enterprise reason you could have. To start, you may not acquire $5 for each selling to be a home owner on Fiverr. com you have $3. 90 or perhaps a number of stool that way.
    Next down, the consumer services is often a tall tale. All We previously acquire response coming from is often a man branded "Jay". They are very hazy whenever addressing concerns in addition to to be truthful is often a real pain inside the butt. One example is, We have this reduce quantity of gigs on my own account - 100%, many gross sales on many gigs. Along with a 100% total percent on my own account with gigs underneath 1 day. But, they'll not ok, i'll have got exhibit gigs.

Xochitl Shatt, Apr 11, 2015 IP
  5. Jeremy Benson

Jeremy Benson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think all cloned things are doomed to fail. That's a bit of an overstatement, but then I often draw inspiration for things that's been done. I've never finished a site yet, so not sure if one of my ideas will fly or not... but if you think about it how many times have games been done? We had Galaga, Pong, and others... TONS of highly popular spinoffs.

What did the Fiver clones you looked at look like? Were they poorly designed, look stupid? What were the flaws? I find I'm often looking for sites that look like sites, or businesses that are like businesses, but if they're in the bottom 20 and look like they deserve to be I seldom use them... If you're going to make a successful clone it has to deserve to be a successful clone. Lets go back to Galaga. What made the clones popular? Well lasers, guided rockets, flashing lights... the new comers deserved to be better, so they were...

Why don't Facebook clones work? Because you are hard pressed to get better... Think about Twitter, my God, how much better than Twitter can you get.. it's maxed, so don't try...

If you're going to make a Fiver clone it's going to have to be BETTER than fiver... or else why would people go there?

Jeremy Benson, Apr 12, 2015 IP
  6. Jeremy Benson

Best Answers:
    I have an awesome idea to pitch to you...

If you're interested in a fiver clone, but have the technical skills to back it... as well as good with layout, why don't you do this?

Create twentysheet.com

Promote it as a premium business for the cream of the crop. It's fiver, but press for higher talent. Twentysheet sounds cool :p

Jeremy Benson, Apr 12, 2015 IP
  7. mrbrown123

mrbrown123 Active Member

Best Answers:
    well I guess the answer is here? https://flippa.com/3634176-pr-4-site-with-88-000-registered-members-3-ways-to-make-money

this site sold many times and i guess that you dont sell a site if its making a lot of cash.

mrbrown123, Apr 12, 2015 IP
  8. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Clones fail because their business model is "if we build a replica we will replicate the success" and that doesn't work! Fiverr saw success because it was original, gained national exposure, and had a business model to recruit Buyers/Sellers and generate revenue. All of the clones have failed because all they do is replicate the web site and service. What's the point of signing up if there's not enough gigs to browse through or clients to profit from..

Think of it this way... Dollar Shave Club is a huge success because 1. they solved a huge problem by supplying disposable razors at the fraction of the cost of the exaggerated costs of commercialized razors 2. they copied the business model of Netflix and other residual revenue models 3. created a viral marketing video on youtube 4. created a strong social media presence and following. 50 Cent Shave Club failed because they 1. solved an irrelevant problem of people paying $.50 more for razors through Dollar Shave Club and 2. lacked a social media presence or any business model.

NetStar, Apr 12, 2015 IP
  9. TB Ann

TB Ann Banned

Best Answers:
    Clones of course made it. The fact that they know what the previous gig sites do and why they failed is what made them successful. Some of them are even better take a look at seoclerks, bitcoin is even available as their payment method.

TB Ann, Apr 12, 2015 IP
    seo_buzz likes this.
  10. Brian123

Brian123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The only way a clone of a site will work, is if you offer something different.
    How can you add value to a site like FB, Twitter, Fiverr? What can be done differently? Why should I use a clone rather than the "original"?

I can see the future in niche style clone sites?

Brian123, Apr 13, 2015 IP
  11. Jeremy Benson

Best Answers:
    I wanted to say something else in defense of clones. If you think about it philosophically you'll see that mostly what we have is clones. Car companies, fridge companies, clothing companies, banks, grocery stores, alarm clock companies. They all do things the same as every other company in their product line. The only difference is quality, style, durability, and physical makeup.

The web is the same. Facebook, tagged, hi5. PeoplePerHour, guru, Freelancer, Elance. Yahoo, Google, ask jeeves. News sites.

If you want to get downright technical mostly the companies that are original are the ones that don't make it, because they're too original, or arty. Everything else is like something else, but different. The only thing original about it is the design, and a couple of features...

I believe success is ordained. Not really something you can get from a book or knowledge. The only way I can see this changing is if you can follow someone else in their success, or invest the exact same money in the exact same stock as someone who's about to receive something the world knows nothing about.

People can give tips, but I think beautiful business can fail to catch popularity, and ugly businesses can flourish...

People spill their hearts out on YouTube for 100k views in great videos, while someone makes a McDonalds cup pee for millions...

It's just the way the world works.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
    Jeremy Benson, Apr 16, 2015 IP
  12. Mipe2D

Mipe2D Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the key with clones is what Brian123 said - adding something that the original site didn't have. In social networking, you have MySpace being trumped by Facebook which offered a much cleaner, more usable layout. With a search engine like Google, you have NOTHING but a search engine, just a single box on a mostly-empty page. On the other hand, some people enjoy going to a site like Yahoo or MSN so they can see things like news updates and weather.

I'd say the most important thing in getting an idea working, clone or not, is to have a really solid understanding of your audience and what they want. You sort of have to build an idea from the perspective you have when you use a website/product and think "Man, this could really use an 'x' feature." A large portion of ideas that work outside of this model work purely due to brute-force marketing from large co's with more resources.

Jeremy - I find what you said about success being ordained very interesting - would you care to expand upon that?

Mipe2D, Apr 16, 2015 IP
  13. Jeremy Benson

Best Answers:
    Sure, I don't expect belief, but I'm kind of religious. I know there's an element where people work realy hard for success, but then there's the offset of people who put a landing sheet up that goes viral and all of a sudden they're millionairs. This tells me that hard work has nothing to do with it... One person will say they've worked hard all their life for nothing, it's taking forever to get there... The man with the landing page might go "phew" that was the best 10 minutes I ever spent...

Businesses that look awesome tank, and new ones start up. People struggle to get rich, or 'successful', others have it easy.

I really don't think there's a formula... I just think some level of it is ordained, part of truth.

Jeremy Benson, Apr 17, 2015 IP