1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

planning for the future

Discussion in 'General Business' started by justin8831, Sep 9, 2015.

So I'm going to pay someone to build me a website .. I was going to go with a custom cms now because I plan on the site becoming big and a custom cms would allow for rapid expansion correct? The only con I could possibly see is if I hire somebody else to perform updates and they don't how to work the custom cms or whatever... Also I wanted to post up for a logo design contest m. But I'm not allowed to post I've been on the site making post for a while now when will I be able to make a contest thread

justin8831, Sep 9, 2015 IP
  2. Abelo

Abelo Active Member

Best Answers:
    What CMS will you be using? If it's Wordpress or the like, it shouldn't be an issue. A problem could arise when the current customizer messes with the code so much that the second customizer will have difficulties with orientation. He might have to redo everything. So make sure you get a good customizer. Don't try to save costs and choose the cheap route.

Abelo, Sep 9, 2015 IP
  3. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Everybody wants their website to become big but it almost never happens. A custom CMS will not necessarily allow for "rapid expansion" any more than an off-the-shelf CMS. If you want to design a system for a multi-server cluster, you can expect to pay considerably for it.

At the very least, a caching system should be built in to reduce load on the server. (Tell that to the Wordpress developers.)

There is a learning curve for everything. A properly designed CMS that is adequately commented in code and provided with proper documentation will allow a skilled developer to become familiar with the system relatively quickly.

How much are you planning to spend? Just out of curiosity...

billzo, Sep 9, 2015 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  4. justin8831

justin8831 Member

Best Answers:
    I was hoping 3000 would be a good starting point ... I basically want a Facebook style website ...

justin8831, Sep 12, 2015 IP
  5. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    You have to get one "like" from three different established members to be able to create a contest thread. You get "likes" from establisehd members when you add value to DP by making a quality post, helping someone else out on a thread, etc.

Or, you can pay to become a Premium member and be able to post in BST immediately.

jrbiz, Sep 12, 2015 IP
  6. goscript

goscript Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I doubt that's anywhere close to your expectations. Just a custom theme for an already existing CMS would cost you that.

goscript, Sep 13, 2015 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Depending on the skill of the person you hire your custom site could be full of sql injection opportunities and other security problems. It could be a nightmare to upgrade as technology changes. And if you get stuck there's no community to call on to help.

sarahk, Sep 13, 2015 IP
  8. D3Tek

D3Tek Active Member

Best Answers:
    $3,000 for a Facebook style site built with a custom CMS? If anyone offers to do this for you, be very careful. It'll likely be ripped software and it'll be rubbish, not custom at all. That's so cheap.

I worked with a team of developers once working on a site "like" Facebook, where they wanted to copy a load of features, their budget was over $70,000.

D3Tek, Sep 13, 2015 IP
  9. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Back in '06 we outsourced a website to a crowd who had a great reputation. We wanted a forum attached to the site and we wanted it to be like vBulletin which at the time was #1, infact we'd have been happy with vB if they could integrate our paid members section with the forum. "No worries" they said, "that's easy" they said. Each time I looked at them skeptically, but they assured me they used forums all the time and they understood the features I wanted. Funnily enough they didn't know squat, they lost all the business because the rest of their work was crap too - and they were charging way, way more than $3000.

A decent developer won't promise anything for such a teeny amount. By the time you pay tax your $3000 has shrunk to $2000 and then you have business expenses...

sarahk, Sep 13, 2015 IP
  10. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There was an open source script out there that was similar to Facebook but I have not seen it in years. Anyone remember what it was? (You can find others by searching for "facebook clone script" or similar terms.)

The original poster may be wise to go with a free open source script and if his membership takes off then consider investing real money. Sometimes it makes sense to start small. :)

billzo, Sep 13, 2015 IP
  11. justin8831

justin8831 Member

Best Answers:
    how do I know if coding is crap?

justin8831, Sep 15, 2015 IP
  12. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Have enough knowledge to be able to read it.
    Start with how they do queries - are they using old school techniques or modern, secure techniques? Is it tidy, documented, and MVC...

sarahk, Sep 15, 2015 IP