1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Want to get a dating website built, need encouragement.

Discussion in 'General Business' started by own3dripy, Jan 10, 2016.

Hey guys, new member here.

I have a very interesting niche in my mind, and I would like to put it into action. Has anyone managed to be successful in this area without knowing how to code? And is there a successful example of a succesfull dating website which uses a ready made script like skadate?

Are all of you successful webmasters expert at coding? Is there anyone of you who managed to make a profitable website by getting another person to code it for you?

Im not an technologically illiterate person, I know which steps to take. Like buying a ready made script, hiring a freelancer to make the tweaks. I have a great plan for marketing it, and Im sure ill get traffic to my website once its up and running smoothly.

Im very confident that my niche has a very good shot at success. Just need some encouragement from you guys. Im a succesful real estate investor, this will be my first shot at the cyber world.

Ive allocated a budget of around 7500-10,000 for this project and am writing the business plan as we speak.

Please all you successful webmasters who arent whiz at coding give me a shout out and share experiences.

Thanks in advance.

own3dripy, Jan 10, 2016 IP
  2. EPol83

EPol83 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Keep up the good work.

Its vital especially today with all the negative thinkers and complainers to keep your self motivated. If it doesn't go your way sue right?

Lazy, lazy, lazy

Do the small things if you want to succeed long term.

For the past 3 years or so I watching videos by mentors like Tony Robbins, Jim Rohn, Brian Tracy and others.

Losers won't take the time but the common thing with over 90% of successful people is they do this stuff.

EPol83, Jan 11, 2016 IP
  3. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Before getting into the dating niche think of who you'll be up against:

match
    zoosk
    ourtime
    blackpeoplemeet
    christianmingle
    christiancafe
    jdate
    itsjustlunch
    plentyoffish

and a host of other well established sites.

I'd say hold your horses and wait till the excitement and enthusiasm cool down. You may see that maybe it's not such a great idea. Sorry, I can't offer any encouragement when it comes to this particular niche. Just to get the first 10 real sign ups may take you months and months.

qwikad.com, Jan 11, 2016 IP
  4. own3dripy

own3dripy Peon

Best Answers:
    None of those sites will be my competitors. My idea is a geographically special niche, the country im planning to establish this site does not send traffic to the sites above.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    own3dripy, Jan 11, 2016 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You've done a decent business plan and competitor analysis right?

@qwikad.com - you left off Tinder... is there a country that Tinder doesn't dominate? I was astounded to learn that people use it on holiday to exotic locales to hook up with people they wouldn't normally get to meet.

sarahk, Jan 11, 2016 IP
    NetStar likes this.
  6. own3dripy

own3dripy Peon

Best Answers:

Sarah, my main competitor will be TanTan, not tinder. Its a tinder like app, in chinese. This will be a very specific niche.

7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    and TanTan is just a tinder clone
    upload_2016-1-12_12-29-14.png

but it raises a good point. For dating do you even want a website - shouldn't an app be your focus? I know when I've checked out the guys my friends are checking out it's always been on their phones.

sarahk, Jan 11, 2016 IP
  8. own3dripy

own3dripy Peon

Best Answers:
    Its a tinder clone and a very successful one at it. That app is worth millions or might even be worth millions. It has huge penetration in China unlike Tinder.

I dont want it to be an app as its much harder to monetize. And when you're talking about an app it has to be custom built, so that will set me back more than the budget I allocated.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  9. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    qwikad.com, Jan 11, 2016 IP
  10. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Won't that come at a cost of your userbase though?

sarahk, Jan 11, 2016 IP
  11. own3dripy

own3dripy Peon

Best Answers:
    Have you heard of an instance where someone hired an indian/bengali to make the app, and the app became a hit? Most successful aps Ive seen are customely made by the founders of the said company. Like snapchat. I might get an app made, but I dont think its necessary.

12. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Love the racism. Nobody said anything about who to hire or how to go about getting the app.

My comment was that to get traction in that particular niche you need to be mobile. Now, I've done no market research on dating in the geographical area that you are focussed on so I'm going by my experience with middle aged, female business owners dating online. People talk about kids not being able to put their phones down but we're shockers - we have our phones out checking sporting events (doing, not watching), diaries, recommending companies etc. If word of mouth is important to your business (and I'd suggest it should be) then you need to make it easy for people to "show and tell".

sarahk, Jan 11, 2016 IP
  13. own3dripy

own3dripy Peon

Best Answers:
    Racism? Haha. Im far from a racist. Its just that nearly everyone who offers outsourcing programming service online is either Pakistani/Indian or Bengali.

Anyway thanks for your input, I just wanted some feedback and suddenly Im being called a racist.

14. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    My comment was about your comment, I know nothing about you - however a google search on your username was fascinating. There are some things I just so didn't need to know!

sarahk, Jan 11, 2016 IP
  15. KylieSweet

KylieSweet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Webmaster and at the same time as a programmer also is rare today as i think due to its demand in the market field. Taking on both specialized field will consume a lot of time and the branding as well as the promotions will be less in this process.

KylieSweet, Jan 11, 2016 IP
  16. own3dripy

own3dripy Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you so much for your wonderful reply, btw your site looks fantastic.

17. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    To answer your question... I highly highly doubt you will see success with using a premade script unless you have someone customize the layout and the code to make it unique. If you find something similar to what you want then by all means use a script. However, I'm sure you will need to go the custom route.

I've gone down the social networking road before. I've seen mild success with it back in the early myspace days. But things were different. It was literally a pain in the ass to manage and during it's peak I made a couple thousand a month from adsense. But within few months when MySpace exploded my site faded. I tried to make it MySpace friendly by offering widgets but it just went down hill. Fast forward years later ONCE in a blue moon someone would login to cancel lol.

Over the years I've also attempted dating sites too. My dating web sites were a complete failure. The problem is when someone joins they are ONLY using the site to find people in their area. If there's noone in their area they just delete. You need to have enough male/female, straight/bi/gay, white/black/asian/spanish/.../, red heads/brunettes/blondes, and athletic/skinny/overweight people of different styles in every area to retain a customer. Imagine going to walmart to look for a specific item then walking in to this store that looks huge from the outside to simply find an empty store with just 4 brooms and no employees. What would you do? Most likely leave.... I don't suggest a dating web site.

NetStar, Jan 13, 2016 IP
  18. own3dripy

own3dripy Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you so much for the input!

own3dripy, Jan 13, 2016 IP
  19. RDarby

RDarby Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    In my opinion, it will only succeed if you truly do have niche, as other users have pointed out, the dating market is incredibly saturated at the moment.

If you really feel that you have something new and different then why not go for it? I don't see any problem in hiring a freelancer to code the site for you.

The real work will come after the site has been developed, attracting a strong and active user base will be crucial - the difficulty with dating is that people are reluctant to pay (understandably) unless there really is a diverse and very large group of users, so think carefully about how you will monetize!

RDarby, Jan 14, 2016 IP