1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

When Will I be Profitable

Discussion in 'General Business' started by atacht2015, Jan 9, 2016.

Ok so I started an online magazine in may but I only published 20 articles but I have recently gone full scale publishing (4 articles a week). I have even paid a professional to write an article for me.

I currently get around 40 visits daily and 500UV monthly.

My future hopes for the site to make money by private ads, cpm and adsense.

The site currently has 20 articles of which 10 or so are on the first page of google.

I plan to monetize by private advertising and adsense later when I reach higher traffic and readership levels.

If I continue to add quality content steadily that are SEO will my traffic increase ?

My short term goal is 1000 UV DAILY

Then 10,000 100,000 and finally 1,000,000

The site has a twitter and facebook page with 112 followers and 6 likes respectively.

I just need some closure that if I keep adding quality content my traffic will increase.

My current costs are hosting and I recently started paying 20-50$ for 1000 word articles

Just wondering how long it could take to reach 1000 UV daily and how much I can make advertising to them.

I just need to turnover some $$$ to reinvest into the business

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2016
    atacht2015, Jan 9, 2016 IP
  2. jcdean

jcdean Active Member

Best Answers:
    What's it about. Is your stuff likely to go viral?

This might be you waiting for traffic from google.

[​IMG]

jcdean, Jan 9, 2016 IP
  3. macstux

macstux Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Have you paid for advertising yet? Or done any advertising?

macstux, Jan 9, 2016 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I'm curious about why you refer to it as an online magazine rather than a blog, a news site or something else.

As for getting traffic - is your content unique? are you breaking news? do you have a perspective that nobody else takes?

Don't put too much stock in the number of facebook likes and twitter followers you have. All that may mean is that the bots have found you and you are part of their strategy to "look normal" while increasing the likes/followers on the sites their clients have paid them to target. Reach and participation is a better measure - what response do you get when you post on those platforms?

If you haven't already done it, take some time to find a business plan template and go through the process of completing it. Pay attention to the strengths you have, and your weaknesses. Look at your competitors and their strengths and weaknesses. Try to establish what sort of market penetration you'll need to be effective.

Let us know how you get on.

sarahk, Jan 9, 2016 IP
  5. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Since you are being vague, no one can give you an answer concering "how long..."
    Having 40 visitors tells me that your site is new. I ran across a site the other day.
    according to the owner, he worked on his site 10-12 hours per day, and claimed he
    was able to quit his job within 3-5 years, and he does not buy content, does
    everything himself, now he claims to earn $$ in the six figure range, his site
    has 100's or even 1000's of pages, and spent 1000's of hours working on his site...
    (There are probably only a few people in the world that can create content like his, and he is listed below all the manufacters in his field

For all we know, you may have content about selling horse crap...however, in theory, if
    your content shows value, then your traffic should increase over time...also note, running
    a legit site is long term, are you prepared to buy long term content/links? 1000 words is
    a start, but the other site had 7000 words just on one page packed with graphics,
    images, and videos, and google loves his site, and is making mad $$ each month....

Having your pages at the top of google is a good sign, however, if they are ranking
    #1 on google for non-sense keywords, then that means nothing, so ask yourself this,
    if your pages are ranking at the top and you only have 40 visitors day, whats the problem?
    something tells me that your keywords are not that great if that is all you are getting....

Growing any type of site can take years...
    however, we do not know if you have a good or bad niche...

Do you have high quality design?
    Did you do any niche research?
    Is your niche narrowly focused?
    what does this mean? It means you are selling
    Toyoda car parts, not car parts for every single car...
    Have you done keyword research?
    Are you properly using LSI Keywords?
    Are you buying any high PR links?
    What is your bounce rate? If you have high bounce rates,
    then it is possible you may get a penalty in the future...

It sounds like you have no plan but to throw up content, and
    hope it sticks, and that sounds like a plan to fail if you ask me.
    Sites that have done no research are very likely to fail....
    (unless you have the next invention people cant live without....)

at the end of the day, setting up any site with no skills
    can be very costly, and risky as there are no guarantees.....
    (There are no guarantees when your business is 100% online)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
    dscurlock, Jan 9, 2016 IP
    Vision2Code likes this.
  6. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    That made me laugh, and it's all about knowing your niche and how to exploit it.

A few months back a woman posted in a fb group saying she had a huge amount of aged horse manure & hay that needed to be cleared and it was first come, first served over the weekend. All she wanted in return was for people to be mindful of her business and staff who would be active at the same time. Her post got hundreds of responses and spawned other posts about how to use, how to mix etc. Never overlook a topic just because it's not sexy or trendy - if you do it right there might just be an audience.

sarahk, Jan 9, 2016 IP
  7. dscurlock

Best Answers:
    I am am working on a site myself; I am no writer either, so I will have to pay for content...
    however, I am under no illusion that it will take off over night, it will not, and could take years.
    and I do understand where he is coming from, content is not cheap, and can add up fast, and
    if he is in the wrong niche, then he could be spending money and never be able to recoup.

as for the "horse" idea, who knows, if you are into farming/horses, then I guess it could be a possibility.
    I do not think the niche is exploited at all, and there are some farm/horse lovers out there that is
    just waiting for some farm/horse site to go up, may go hand in hand with other farm animals...
    however, that is something that highly does not interest me at the moment.... :)

8. dscurlock

Best Answers:
    It is very difficult to go viral or to maintain that level for success, however, i would
    say the avg site that has success comes after being online for a few years...
    (not just sitting there hoping google gives you traffic just because you put up some content...)

If you build it, they will come...
    sure, in about 10 years....
    you best be more active then just sitting there...

He does not know what hard work means...
    slap it up, then wonder why he is getting no traffic...

His investing or losses have just begun...
    (this is very long term, not short term at all...)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  9. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Wasn't suggesting you or the OP actually do it, just that what seems like a crap idea can actually be gold if you take the time to explore the niche and understand the market.

What looks like gold (nude celebs, say) is actually crap because the content is always a dupe, hard to get and the market is saturated.

sarahk, Jan 10, 2016 IP
  10. EPol83

EPol83 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hard to say. All it takes is one good move from google and you can get boatloads of traffic. The other side is it can all be gone overnight on you.

You can do some backlinking to your existing content to try and get more traffic with that while providing new fresh content.

EPol83, Jan 11, 2016 IP
  11. dscurlock

Best Answers:
    I know the feeling, at one time I had 15 or so amazon sites, in the beginning, it was good, but my
    content was terrible, I was making $500/mo for about 6 month, then it was all gone in a snap...
    google sent my traffic to other sites that were more deserving.

dscurlock, Jan 11, 2016 IP
  12. eric_wahlberg

eric_wahlberg Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Just don't get upset, but I think that you should add an erotic section in your site. It is in huge demand and will definitely bring visitors for your site.

eric_wahlberg, Jan 12, 2016 IP
  13. dscurlock

Best Answers:
    Bad idea, he would bring the wrong crowd to his site...
    not only that, it will send negative signal to the legit crowd...
    before you know, all the good visitors are gone, and
    those left behind will be the ones jacking off on his site...
    visitor quality is super poor at best...

dscurlock, Jan 12, 2016 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  14. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I love questions that answer their own question IN the question... So when will you be profitable? According to you, you have only created 20 articles, which implies your web site is either A. NEW or B. not updated or maintained. You then said you RECENTLY have gone "full scale" and currently have 20 articles which means your site is A. still new and too pre-mature to evaluate or B. still not being updated or maintained. Half of your articles are listed on the main page of Google. This implies A. your articles do not have content that interests a lot of people or B. the keywords you are using are not actively used to find your content. You listed some goals... Let's break it down. If your short term goal is 1,000 unique visitors a day you are assuming there are 30 thousand people every month or over 365 thousand people a year interested in your content. That's a lot if it's very niche related. It's absolutely possible but scratch your daily million UV goal unless your content is in VERY VERY HIGH demand.

It sounds to me that you have a web site that you aren't vested in. There's only 20 articles... you pay only $20+ per article.... This is a web site that you haven't gone "full scale" in to. This to me sounds like a web site you are trying to run without passion for the wrong reasons. You need to find a niche that you find FUN writing about. You don't need to PAY people to write articles for you. There's no passion....... Your web site will never be successful if you don't give a shit about it. 20 lousy articles and now you are paying others twenty bucks to contribute an article and you are losing all hope? Do yourself a favor and stop tornmenting yourself. You need to find something YOU like to write about.

I have started a LOT of projects that I wasn't emotionally vested in over the years. They all are complete failures. The ones that succeed are the ones I enjoy working on and get something out of. And most of those projects aren't yielding big profits.

NetStar, Jan 14, 2016 IP
  15. dscurlock

Best Answers:
    That is only half true, unless you want me to believe that every single site writes their very
    own content. There are writers that write for sites all the time. choosing the right
    writer is key, they need to have passion and know what they are writing about....
    but saying that he will automatically fail because he outsources content seems ignorant,
    that would be saying all successful sites write their own content, and i know that is not true.
    There are many factors that can cause a site to fail, having a bad bad/good writer would be just one factor.
    he could have a good writer, and all of his other factors could be completely wrong...he could
    have a good writer, but his keyword research sucks, or he may not have good on page-seo...

since he has not responded, then I suspect he already knows
    that he maybe doing something wrong. If he does not focus on keyword
    research and on page seo, then his traffic will be scattered here and there., or
    he could simply be in a bad or very competitive niche altogether. SE just do not
    look at the content alone, they look at many factors across the board...

It can take a lot of time, energy, effort, and money, and after a few
    years, there are still no guarantee of success, passion or not...

a good salesman may not have passion...
    He just knows how to make a sale....
    personally, he doent give a shit about you...
    ironic isnt it....

and I do not know why you failed any more then the op. Even if the
    content is merely so-s0, as long as it is readable, then it can rank,
    the the key "it can" which means it has a chance, however, if you
    are no good with link building, choosing right LSI, right anchor text,
    then it certainly wont, and like most, you simply just gave up...
    After all, we are talking about content, not love making.

I have read an article from someone saying that it took him 3-5 years
    before he could really quit his day job, and that was 10+ years ago...
    do you think you could beat him in search engines today? hell no...
    This guy has rankings that nearly compete with manufacturers, maybe
    he had passion, maybe he didnt, but I do know he did not give up....'
    are you prepared to work on your site 10-12 hours day for the
    next 3-5 years? Most do not have half a clue when they get online,
    and when they do get online, they are already years behind the competition.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
    dscurlock, Jan 14, 2016 IP
  16. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That wasn't said. Without passion you will die.. Paying $20 for an article to throw up on your site doesn't demonstrate passion for success. It's pretty difficult to create quality when you have no desire or ambition to create the content yourself. He has a niche web site. He won't see success with paying $20 for an article to be written. You will get a half ass article written for a cheap twenty bucks. He needs to go back to the drawing board on this idea...

We should define what passion means. Passion is a strong feeling of excitement or enthusiasm for doing something. It's the drive to succeed. Any successful salesman must have passion. It could be passion selling a great product or simply the passion of making money. Either way they drive to be successful.

I don't think I said I failed more than the original poster or even asked why.

So what? You will read lots of articles about peoples personal failure and success. Doesn't mean it applies to you or anyone else. It may take some peope 3-5 years to establish an online business, it may take 10+ years, or it may take 3 months. We are all wired differently and pursue different goals.

NetStar, Jan 14, 2016 IP