1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Finding web design clients

Discussion in 'General Business' started by RDarby, Feb 16, 2016.

Hello all...

I would very much like to start doing some freelance web design/development to make some money to supplement my main income (through my job)

I have the skills required and have done a few sites for a hand full of clients before, but how do i really find new clients who were not previously known to me?

Open to all low cost suggestions.

Thanks

RDarby, Feb 16, 2016 IP
  2. avpol

avpol Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Register on websites for freelancers like Upwork.com.

avpol, Feb 16, 2016 IP
  3. Shahzad Jameel

Shahzad Jameel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The cheapest solution is to promote yourself on social media - If you can't afford to have a website then atleast make a Facebook page to present your services to the world. You can register on freelancing websites but you will have to show patience as it may take time might be several months due to huge competition there.

Other very effective solution is to contact your existing clients and ask them for more work or request them to refer you in their community. You can also spread the word in your community.

Definitely there are so many other things but you will have to invest on them.

Cheers

Shahzad Jameel, Feb 18, 2016 IP
  4. Gaurav Kanabar

Gaurav Kanabar Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You can register in Freelancing Website like Freelancer, UpWorK (Previously Known As oDesk) , Guru, Elance, Toptal etc.
    You can start your website/Blog and start attracting visitors regarding your area or expertise and start getting prospects who might be interested in your services.
    You should take active participants in Group in Facebook and Google+ regarding your Work area and offer suggestion and advice for free. This will establish you as a known face in your niche. You will get leads and prospects as you continue this activity.

Gaurav Kanabar, Feb 19, 2016 IP
  5. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You would find more success and profitability finding a niche to market to. For instance, instead of General Web Design create Web Site templates for Hair Salons and provide a complete solution from web design to hosting to updates & maintenance. Charge a design cost and a monthly service and management fee. ie: $1,200 design (negotiable) and $299 fixed monthly. 30 clients yields a 100k+ residual income plus over $36k in up fronts. Competition would be lower due to you focusing on a specific niche and it will allow you to become a master in the niche in terms of what salons want. You could have already made templates with interchangeable widgets for scheduling appts etc. It also allows you to market in Hair Salon specific magazines and ezines, forums, web sites, groups, and even directly to the business by using something as simple as Google to find clients.

I'm against General Web Design. I personally feel it will give you the starving artist syndrome.

NetStar, Feb 20, 2016 IP
    RDarby likes this.
  6. sitepaw

sitepaw Active Member

Best Answers:
    Very good idea and I'm 100% agreed. Just need to find a niche that have enough business.

sitepaw, Feb 21, 2016 IP
  7. Shahzad Jameel

Shahzad Jameel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    But what will be the way to get 30 clients as I believe it will not be any easy thing. Any idea/thought on it?

Shahzad Jameel, Feb 21, 2016 IP
  8. RDarby

RDarby Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:

I Actually never really considered this, but i like it as a concept very much. I have actually done a few websites in the construction industry and find that many building companies where I am from have quite outdated websites. Some definite potential there thanks for the suggestion!

RDarby, Feb 21, 2016 IP
  9. gamblingdomains

gamblingdomains Active Member

Best Answers:
    Niche is right. Lets assume you live in a city with say 100,000 people. If you look up business directories you might discover 50% of businesses don't have their own website at all. It is an easy business to walk into with a set focus in mind.

If you send over some of your designs and portfolios we might be able to help.

gamblingdomains, Feb 22, 2016 IP
  10. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    All you need is Yellow Pages to find the businesses.. or search google... If your objective is 30 clients to make 100k then it starts with direct mailers.. contacting the salons by phone... advertising in magazines directly for salons.. adwords.. banners on hair salon web sites etc. It's not easy but it is entirely possible with effort.

NetStar, Feb 22, 2016 IP