1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need some advice on virtual assistants

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Gena, Jun 8, 2017.

Good day everyone,

I have a question and also some much needed advice.

My husband and I recently put up a carpentry business and don't have the capital at the moment to hire a full time assistant. We heard about virtual assistants but we don't even know where to begin to search now how it actually works.

If you all could give me some advice or personal experiences, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Gena, Jun 8, 2017 IP
  2. BaskingRock

BaskingRock Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You can try posting on this board or there are virtual assistant companies like Upwork or even dropping the job on Indeed and tagging it remote.

BaskingRock, Jun 8, 2017 IP
  3. CrocBuzz

CrocBuzz Member

Best Answers:
    Virtual assistants as in A.I. like Siri and Cortana?

CrocBuzz, Jun 8, 2017 IP
  4. BaskingRock

BaskingRock Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    An assistant that works remotely, through the internet.

BaskingRock, Jun 8, 2017 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    The first step is to identify what you need outsourced and how you would manage that with regards to quality control.

sarahk, Jun 8, 2017 IP
  6. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I seem to be missing something. Why would a carpentry business need a virtual assistant /assistance?

qwikad.com, Jun 10, 2017 IP
  7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Process orders
    Process wages
    Process inventory
    Do the accounts

sarahk, Jun 10, 2017 IP
  8. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I've never seen a carpentry business with more than 5-6 people. In this competitive market they may get 1-2 jobs a week (sometimes none). I am wondering why the owner can't manage it on his/her own.

qwikad.com, Jun 10, 2017 IP
  9. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Maybe in Mexico they're bigger?
    I know the big firms that do kitchens in NZ would be churning out much more than that and employing loads of people on the sales side, production & installation.

sarahk, Jun 10, 2017 IP
  10. webtmaster

webtmaster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    wonder how a VA going to be any assist for you as long as your business is not trad-able online unless you are doing it in a local website.wts in your mind exactly?

webtmaster, Jun 11, 2017 IP
  11. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    A VA can still answer the phone, pursue bad debtors, check on purchase orders.

sarahk, Jun 11, 2017 IP
  12. maed810

maed810 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Va is the simple way to get the employee with cheap cost based on their experience..but just like @sarahk said before you need to identify what you need to outsource before and tou can find them on this forum or others company like freelancer,upwork,fiver and many more

maed810, Jun 12, 2017 IP
  13. Latic

Latic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    One thing you'll need to do is use something like Lucidforms to map out what you want done and become extremely process based.

Without this you'll generally find mistakes are made and you end up spending more time than you'd like on your VAs

Latic, Jun 12, 2017 IP
  14. Gena

Gena Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you all for your answers!

Gena, Jun 15, 2017 IP
  15. msgreenpea1

msgreenpea1 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I had this concern a few years back as well. Go post the job opening to Upwork and Craigslist. You indicate the job requirements and the rate you're willing to pay. The lowest and most decent offer you can give is $3-5/hour, still depending on the difficulty of the job. Then you can set how many hours a week the VA works for you and as an employer it's just fair to pay them on a weekly basis. I set up a work incentive to keep my VA from slacking around. The Upwork platform has the option for timer and screenshots which is nice but they charge fees both to the employer and the employee like an agency, but it's the safest place that to get decent employee. I usually go for the ones from the Philippines because they're really dedicated. Hope this helps!

msgreenpea1, Jun 17, 2017 IP
  16. BryanBB

BryanBB Peon

Best Answers:
    I have used Fiverr for this and after a few trial and errors, found some great people.

BryanBB, Jun 18, 2017 IP
  17. Gena

Gena Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you so much for your response Greenpea, you have been wonderfully helpful

Gena, Jun 20, 2017 IP
  18. Mkcoy

Mkcoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There are different types of VA's. And different levels of them. There's those that work for peanuts but take a long time and don't do a great job. And there's those that charge a bit more but work fast and do a great job. Now if you are looking for a VA to do something for you, some admin task, one of the best places to find them is through SEOClerks by posting a "Job" request. Once you have done that, those VA's can then "bid" on your job and you can check them out, message them etc. If you like someone and their bid is good, you can purchase them there and then and a new order is started. In that order, all you need to do is put the required details what you want them to do, then they can do it. When they are done, they can deliver the order to you which you can then review. If it's not done to your specification, you can "reject" the order. That way they will have to redo it again until it's done properly before being able to get their money. It's a great system and I've been using it for years to hire VA's for many micro tasks and even larger ones like yours. You can find more details about SEOClerks in the link in my sig. I'll shut up now because when it comes to SEOClerks I do tend to gush a bit! But hope this helps you and good luck! :)

Mike.

Mkcoy, Jun 20, 2017 IP
  19. KylieSweet

KylieSweet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Here we go again with Fiverr gig but he doesn't even know how great it is? Its interesting just to include this service with no supporting documents.

KylieSweet, Jun 20, 2017 IP
  20. Milliardo

Milliardo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, those from the Philippines are really good. You can PM me about it since there is a site that is dedicated to hiring VA from the Philippines.

Milliardo, Jun 21, 2017 IP