1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Being a copycat of fishy enterprises

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Julian Brockmann, Mar 20, 2022.

You are in an underground carpark that has signs showing who the car parks are reserved for. You see "<insert fancy name> investment" above lambhorgini 1, aston martin 1, aston martin 2, porsche.

You look for their website, they don't have one.

There is nothing that shows where the money comes from or what they do.

What do you do in those cases to figure out how they make money and how you can copy that?

Julian Brockmann, Mar 20, 2022 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    There's an old saying "if you have to ask, you can't afford it", usually for goods in shops that don't have price tickets because they're targetted at the truly wealthy.

Just because you can't find a website doesn't mean they don't exist, there are ways of being invisible to the search engines but accessible to those with the URL. Or it just might mean that their public face is through another holding company.

You're probably better off reading the financial papers and looking for the company name, or finding sites that mention it. Find out who the principals are and google their names. They're likely to be old money and well connected and probably well educated with social skills that allow them to network easily with the very wealthy. You can probably tackle a few of those criteria.

As for what they do... probably a private bank for high-value stock trading. Could be futures, legal services, or even crypto. You can probably get a start on a graduate program at one of those firms, work your way up and then go out on your own.

Also, bear in mind that those vehicles look good but they're probably financed or leased. I knew a guy who owned a private bank and he said whenever the private schools put their fees up his phone would start ringing - his clientele looked wealthy but they were spending every last penny.

sarahk, Mar 20, 2022 IP
  3. Julian Brockmann

Julian Brockmann Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I found more details, like their self-description "The management of own assets and the provision of consulting services. To this end, the Company may conduct all transactions required for asset management or the provision of consulting services, and in particular acquire equity interests in other companies in its own name and for its own account.". Does that mean, they sell and buy shares for clients for a fee?

Can you define?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
    Julian Brockmann, Mar 20, 2022 IP
  4. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Like Berkshire Hathaway shares vs Montgomery Ward shares.

mmerlinn, Mar 20, 2022 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Internal management for another big company at Berkshire is a great example.

A friend's son in law does private investment management for a guy who flys under the radar. The SIL gets quarterly bonuses that are 3x the average annual wage in NZ.

He doesn't do anything fishy, and he obviously does it well. I hope he doesn't get a wanky car tho.

sarahk, Mar 21, 2022 IP
  6. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    It is hard to tell for sure, but they sound an awful like what is called a "Private Family Office" in the wealth management industry here in the U.S. This would be a small team of financial advisors/brokers that work exclusively for a very small number of extremely wealthy clients. Might just be one investor, in fact, depending upon how much is being invested. These types of firms usually get 300-500 annual basis points (3-5%) of the money that they are managing. So, if they are managing $100 million in assets, they would earn $3-$5 million per year in management fees. Of course, they would be expected to achieve a much higher rate of return on the investment to cover their cost and make a good return for the investor.

jrbiz, Mar 22, 2022 IP
  7. Julian Brockmann

Best Answers:
    @jrbiz Do you know people who do this work?

Julian Brockmann, Mar 22, 2022 IP
  8. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Many years ago, I was involved with a technology company that offered solutions to them and other larger wealth managers. But it has been a loooong time and I really have no contacts in the industry, any more.

jrbiz, Mar 22, 2022 IP
  9. Julian Brockmann

Best Answers:
    Who could help me out here with first hand knowledge

10. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    probably nobody here, I suspect we're all further down the food chain.
    Do you know anyone in "financial planning" or stock broking? They can probably tell you a tale or two about the high flyers and how they got there. Expect to sacrifice a lot on the way up.

sarahk, Mar 22, 2022 IP
  11. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Based on how cheap everything appears to sell on DP, I suspect that most here could be classed as "Bottom-feeders."

mmerlinn, Mar 22, 2022 IP
  12. Julian Brockmann

Best Answers:
    If you don't know anyone in the field, you have no idea how hard or easy it is. Avoid speculation.

13. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I'm sure you'll remember to let us know when you get there.

sarahk, Mar 22, 2022 IP
  14. Julian Brockmann

Best Answers:
    Take it like an adult, improve and move on. Don't waste time.

15. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Don't be a brat.

sarahk, Mar 22, 2022 IP
  16. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Reading these threads is delightful... have your parents never taught you about business? talked to you about the people they meet, their impressions?

blackhatworld.com/members/julian-brockmann.1529433

upload_2022-3-23_18-18-45.png

Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
    sarahk, Mar 22, 2022 IP
    mmerlinn and Smyrl like this.
  17. Julian Brockmann

Best Answers:
    You are a disgraceful human being. I stop interacting with you from here on.

18. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Well, despite your obvious lack of social skills on this thread, I will provide a bit more info for you. Google "Certified Financial Planner" to see what type of education and certification you would need (here in the U.S.) to get a start on the financial advising business that you are interested in. Of course, that is just to get your foot in the door in this profession. The really, really hard part then will be finding those ultra-wealthy investors who will trust you to invest their funds. It probably will take many years of working in a junior position with an established firm to build up the skills and reputation that will cause someone to believe that you can help them invest and grow their fortune. There is no "quick" formula for achieving the success that you saw being displayed in that parking garage. In fact, the vast majority of the very successful clients I sold to back then all had gray hair.

jrbiz, Mar 23, 2022 IP
    mmerlinn and sarahk like this.
  19. Julian Brockmann

Best Answers:
    Well, because of your severe lack of social skills, I stopped reading here as nothing of value can be expected from anyone who starts like this.

Julian Brockmann, Mar 23, 2022 IP
  20. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    You're not going to hold your breath until you turn blue, are you??? :rolleyes:

jrbiz, Mar 23, 2022 IP
    mmerlinn and Smyrl like this.