1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Gigabytes Required For Ecommerce Business?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LadyC, Oct 11, 2024 at 11:05 AM.

Hi everyone,

I am in the market for a new laptop to start my ecommerce business. I have researched online and I'm seeing that to run an ecommerce business you need at least 16 GB of RAM and 512 GB of storage.
    Is it possible to start with less storage such as 8GB or even 4GB of RAM? I will have a large catalog of at least 500 products.
    Should I start with a smaller amount of RAM and purchase more RAM as my business scales?
    What would you do? What did you do?
    Looking forward to your reply.

LadyC, Oct 11, 2024 at 11:05 AM IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I don't understand the relationship between your laptop and the size of your store?

sarahk, Oct 11, 2024 at 3:56 PM IP
  3. LadyC

LadyC Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi Sarahk,
    It's not about the laptop. I am asking how much RAM and Storage is needed to start with?
    Some say 8GB of RAM with 256GB of Storage, and some say more is needed.
    I will have a large catalog, so I'm trying to figure out if 8GB and 256GB are enough?

LadyC, Oct 16, 2024 at 2:58 PM IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Aaah so it's a webhosting question. Sorry, I got confused. Maybe ask the question in this section: https://forums.digitalpoint.com/forums/web-hosting.122/

sarahk, Oct 16, 2024 at 4:20 PM IP
  5. LadyC

LadyC Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi Sarahk,
    My apologies, I misspoke. I am trying to find out what is the LEAST amount of RAM and storage I would need on a laptop?
    Some say that you need at least 8GB of RAM and 256GB of storage. Some say you need more. I need to know what is the LEAST amount of RAM and storage needed ON a laptop to successfully run a large ecommerce business?

LadyC, Oct 17, 2024 at 7:12 AM IP
  6. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Now I'm even more confused. You can be an admin for Amazon on a shitty laptop, it's not as if you have all of the site on your laptop, open and active at the same time. The number of screens you want to run is probably more important.

Things to consider:
    • the software you'll be using
    • the number of programs you'll have open at the same time
    • the cloud storage or backup services you'll use for, say, original artwork
    • what it's worth to you to have programs open quickly
    I'm a mac user so things like ram are less of a consideration but have a look at the laptops in your budget range. I'd favour 16gb of ram over greater storage but I imagine they go hand in hand. I'd look at the restrictions on monitor size just incase you want to hook one up in your office. I had a cute HP laptop for a while but it couldn't drive my big curved screen properly.

sarahk, Oct 17, 2024 at 2:18 PM IP