1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Looking for a very simple CMS

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by naif, Jan 13, 2007.

Hello everyone. I am looking for a simple CMS which I can use to power a fansite. I dont want anything sophisticated like Joomla because I dont and wont ever need the features it offers. The reason I want a CMS is because I want to give access to the site to a member who can update the contents of the pages on a regular basis without the need of knowing/learning HTML. I have around 5 static pages on the site. I already tried googling but I want to go with word of mouth. So is anyone here familiar with a CMS which I can use for something as simple as a fansite? I already am using scripts to manage other parts of the site, like forum, news etc.

naif, Jan 13, 2007 IP
  2. energetic

energetic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I recommend using wordpress.

energetic, Jan 13, 2007 IP
  3. 010081

010081 Banned

Best Answers:
    if you are using for fansite i recommend you phpnuke ,its very nice and simple.and you'll find all modules that you need for fansite in phpnuke

010081, Jan 13, 2007 IP
  4. Richie_Ni

Richie_Ni Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Richie_Ni, Jan 13, 2007 IP
  5. EJRaven

EJRaven Active Member

Best Answers:
    Don't use phpNuke unless you want your website hacked within days after you launch it.

For a fan site, it depends what you want to accomplish... give us a link to a fansite that you would like your site to look like and I will be able to guide you in the best directions on how to better accomplish what you are looking for.

Here are my favorite fan sites:

http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/

http://www.armoredcoreonline.com/

EJRaven, Jan 13, 2007 IP
  6. BooTCaT

BooTCaT Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hello Naif .
    And i think i can better help you , than the above people because i am running a fan site ( Damn simple one ) now .

Yeah , my fan site is www.rani-mukharji.com , where i focus on Rani Mukherjee , bollywood fame .

I use Wordpress , because it is simple , powerful and on the same time , stammers across loads of plugin , for , hosting the best fan site .

And hey , most of the fan site owners across the internet , use CuteNews as their Simple fan site cms .

But from my part , nothing ever beats the flexibility and power that Wordpress offers .

BooTCaT, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  7. MrBounce

MrBounce Active Member

Best Answers:
    ive heard good things about drupal in the past, but have never used it yet myself.

MrBounce, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  8. inman

inman Peon

Best Answers:
    CMSMatrix is a good place to compare different CMS scripts. My favorite is always WordPress.

inman, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  9. Tyler Banfield

Tyler Banfield Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    WordPress would allow you to easily provide the latest news on RM

Tyler Banfield, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  10. Mihai

Mihai Active Member

Best Answers:
    phpNuke is a security risk. I would go with WordPress for such purpose like yours.

Mihai, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  11. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    if you are looking for a basic cms , you must use wordpress . if you are looking for a complex cms , you must use joomla

trichnosis, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  12. venetsian

venetsian Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you can hold on for up to one week you can get free copy of the SEO Website CMS that my team is developing. On whois.domaintools.com/www.seowebsitecms.com they give us 98% SEO Score and this is only the CMS itself .. We beleive that this will be a great CMS .. very simple to use and extreemly powerful (if you want to make your own modules and customizations)

Cheers,

Venetsian.

venetsian, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  13. MrMOJO

MrMOJO Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    E107 has always served me well.

MrMOJO, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  14. naif

naif Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi again.. I have been playing around with a few CMS since I made this post. Till now I have tried around 10 CM systems but unfortunately, nothing suits my needs. What I am looking for was an extremely low weight CMS. The ones I liked were phpWCMS and Drupal. But both had their drawbacks. They all were amazing but they are just not what I am looking for :( And I wasnt happy with the news modules which came with these CM systems either.. Wordpress is good, I have coded templates for it in the past but its not an option for me. The URL of my site is http://www.dhonixpress.com

As you can see, it doesnt need anything fancy. The CMS I am using for managing the news is cutenews. All I want is to give a member access to modify the Biography page, statistics page, etc. As you can see, those pages are very simple. I am going to redo the whole site from top to bottom and make a transition towards a tableless layout..

Is there something available which I can use as an editor? Like TinyMCE(spelling mistake?) or FCKEditor(spelling mistake again)?

I appreciate all the replies you guys have given. Thanks

naif, Jan 15, 2007 IP
  15. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    My vote goes to Joomla here. Complex functionality packed in an intuitive and decent interface..

Clive, Jan 15, 2007 IP
  16. ravianz

ravianz Notable Member

Best Answers:
    if you want to use simple one go for word press!

ravianz, Jan 15, 2007 IP
  17. pyles

pyles Peon

Best Answers:
    I really love Wordpress, Drupal may be a bit complicated for what you want to do.

I simply love wordpress.

pyles, Jan 15, 2007 IP
  18. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    Quoting the subject line of this thread, I think this might be a good option as well.. Check QuickCMS at opensolution.org. I haven't used myself but know someone who did a basic content website for a customer that was insisting on a easy-to-use solution..

Clive, Jan 16, 2007 IP
  19. BooTCaT

BooTCaT Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hey naif , i think i know you . we host at the sameplace .
    I have seen your website and u must be getting nice hits .

Ok fine . regarding your cms , most fan site users , use cutenews . But i have turned and like many others used wordpress .

I can ( but i am actually not paying heed to it :D ) manage , a fan site , awesome manner using wordpress .

Its plugins at wide sea are the main features i look out for . But if u want your site , to be light ( like i always prefer ) , then you have to choose the correct and best template .

And also , minimize the amount of plugins as they generate unwanted code .

Everything else , will be automatic and will be more secure , reliable , when using wordpress.

So , after all those , people , at the top , yelling wordpress , i too vote for them , Wordpress really rocks and gets our job done .

Give it a nice try .

BooTCaT, Jan 17, 2007 IP