1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can you copy and paste article from Wikipedia for Content?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by web2074, Jan 12, 2007.

I'm thinking about creating thousands of webpages using content from Wikipedia... Can you do it? Will it hurt my site if it's the same content as another site?

Thanks y'all!

(From Athens, GA!)

web2074, Jan 12, 2007 IP
  2. nicknick

nicknick Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you can copy the content since it is not copyrighted but it can hurt your sites since Google is pretty good with duplicate content detection. Though I have one site that outranks one of my client's sites with completely copied content. But Wikipedia is pretty well crawled so I'm sure Google would pick up on it.

nicknick, Jan 12, 2007 IP
  3. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamerâ„¢

Best Answers:
    Yes you can, but you shouldn't, it''ll only hurt you.

Roman, Jan 12, 2007 IP
  4. gr8liverpoolfan

gr8liverpoolfan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You can. But just think, why people will come to you rather than wiki. Are you providing unique rich content for your visitors.

As for the dupe penalty, there are others things to take into account rather than only copied content. But if you intend to mass copy, that may cause a problem

gr8liverpoolfan, Jan 12, 2007 IP
  5. TwistMyArm

TwistMyArm Peon

Best Answers:
    nicknick: I don't want to pick nits, but you're totally wrong about Wikipedia content not being copyrighted. You just need to look at the bottom of each page to see a link to the copyright information and it is mentioned there, too, about the licence under which the content is distributed.

Just because they give you the right to copy and redistribute does not mean that it's not protected by copyright.

web2074: it's best to read the copyright page and maybe read up on the licence. If you like, you can even download the entire database of information from them... just be sure to abide by the allowances.

TwistMyArm, Jan 13, 2007 IP
  6. nicknick

nicknick Peon

Best Answers:
    my bad........

nicknick, Jan 13, 2007 IP
  7. CountryBoy

CountryBoy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Wikipedia is open source so copyright is not a problem as long as you put a note on each page linking to the corresponding Wikipedia page. It might save you some work, but copied content is not going to fool anyone. It can also have a negative effect on your PageRank and SERPs.

CountryBoy, Jan 13, 2007 IP
  8. Mihai

Mihai Active Member

Best Answers:
    According to the license under which Wikipedia is working your vision is not at all legal and can bring more trouble then benefits. I suggest that you start writing good quality content or outsource this task, anyway, do not use duplicate content that is more then anything licensed.

Regards

Mihai, Jan 13, 2007 IP
  9. MBroker

MBroker Peon

Best Answers:
    What if you translate the content manually from for example en.wikipedia.org and use it on a Russian site. Will it count as original content in terms of SERP?

MBroker, Feb 20, 2011 IP
  10. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    I would say it would count as original, if you are the first one to do it. It will place highly in google.ru searches. But if you get a rash of sites doing the same thing, then one will prevail over the other in the end.

Dodger, Feb 20, 2011 IP
  11. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    Another thing to consider is there are a few giants already doing this. May not be worth the effort, unless you are fluent in both languages and can specialize in a niche.

Consider this Google Translate & Wikipedia: 16 Million Words Later from ReadWriteWeb.

Dodger, Feb 20, 2011 IP
  12. MBroker

MBroker Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for your reply. As for being fluent in both languages, the most important thing it to be fluent in the language you are translating to. I am definitely not fluent in English but my English is good enough to understand just about anything and thus translate it to my main language.

MBroker, Feb 21, 2011 IP
  13. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    Cool! Give it a try. You may want to research a little more and see what type of competition you are up against. I think if you stick to narrow niche, and add to it, you will do okay and will be worth the effort. Good luck!

Dodger, Feb 21, 2011 IP
  14. DmitryS

DmitryS Active Member

Best Answers:
    hell no. never... just write what ever you can , but do it yourself

DmitryS, Feb 22, 2011 IP
  15. JerrickYeoh

JerrickYeoh Active Member

Best Answers:
    the best is try to modify some even you duplicate because wiki do protect with copyright. If you use same content, it will hurt your website quality.

JerrickYeoh, Feb 23, 2011 IP
  16. nitpat1

nitpat1 Peon

Best Answers:
    continue updating unique and fresh content is effective

nitpat1, Feb 27, 2011 IP