1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Using social bookmarking to get traffic

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by aramyus, Nov 19, 2006.

I remain very puzzled on the real benefits of social bookmarking to get traffic to a site. May be folks you can help me understand.

Most social bookmarking sites have nofollow tags on all their outbound links. As a consequence, being listed on a tag page brings little or nothing for ranking (although there are evidences that google does indeed follow links despite the nofollow tag)

Being on the first page of a site like digg brings an enormous peak of traffic (to the point to kill your server), but it is reported to be rather 'bad traffic'. There is probably a positive side effect in the massive exposure: some users will put a real link to you if they liked your page.

A tag page usually does not rank well in SE. Hence the only traffic on a tag page comes from internal links. As a user, I have found tag pages inundated with spam, so if I search for a subject, I would never use technorati or similar. I tend to believe that the only real visitors of a tag page are bots or webmasters trying to recoup information and probably very few people genuinely looking for information. (I checked the back links of a popular tag page on del.icio.us and all I could find were spammy sites)

From what I see, except being listed on a first page, I see no real benefits in social bookmarking.

Do any of you get worthwhile traffic from social bookmarking sites?

Is there something I am missing?

aramyus, Nov 19, 2006 IP
  2. TatiAnA

TatiAnA Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think the benefit tof these social bookmarking thingies is that it brings traffic. I still don't quite understand them very well also that is why until now i'm not using them. But based on my studies, if you have a good and useful content, viewers with similar interests may bookmark your site.

TatiAnA, Nov 19, 2006 IP
  3. Richie_Ni

Richie_Ni Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Yes,it's a good way to get traffic..Especially the sites like reddit.com & stumbleupon.com .Once you have submitted your site to them,you'll get hundreds of visitors.

Richie_Ni, Nov 19, 2006 IP
  4. globalsites

globalsites Member

Best Answers:
    If you're looking for momentum online, nothing kicks it along like Digg.. It also subjects you to a lot more scrutiny. Networked people online look at it. But this can also be great for keeping the story moving.

globalsites, Nov 20, 2006 IP
  5. etechsupport

etechsupport Peon

Best Answers:
    I find most of the traffic from social networking sites are temporary, you need to adopt other ways to generate traffic rather than depending on those sites only.

etechsupport, Nov 20, 2006 IP
  6. rubin

rubin Peon

Best Answers:
    agree just for temporary...

rubin, Feb 6, 2007 IP
  7. nathan76

nathan76 Peon

Best Answers:

Are there any statistics on what percentage of visitors would click "Submit this article to Digg" button and then go through trouble to logging in and actually submitting it? I also wondering if Google approves of those "Submit to..." buttons?

nathan76, Feb 6, 2007 IP
  8. KewlGurl

KewlGurl Peon

Best Answers:
    Bookmarking is the fantastic way to gain traffic, I do that only!

KewlGurl, Aug 26, 2011 IP
  9. phpdevelopmentoutsourcing

phpdevelopmentoutsourcing Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yes it is a good Way to get traffic. after social bookmarking you show your site is in good ranking

10. jewellerswindow

jewellerswindow Peon

Best Answers:
    The several social bookmarking websites are there but mostly we can use high page rank social bookmarking websites in which free or paid websites are available.With the help of high page rank social bookmarking websites we can get more back-links and more traffic to our websites.

jewellerswindow, Aug 27, 2011 IP
  11. jitendra05

jitendra05 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Social bookmarking sites help in the improvement of SERP of website.

jitendra05, Aug 28, 2011 IP