1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My opinions on the evil Go Daddy...

Discussion in 'General Business' started by AngelaR, Feb 12, 2007.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Is it just me or is GoDaddy like the worst place for hosting a website?? First of all to go through the INCREDIBLY, RIDICULOUSLY lengthy registration process where they are constantly offering deals upon deals of things to buy, things to upgrade to, etc. It took me like 25 minutes to complete one domain registration and hosting.. God was that a mistake. And I almost (almost heheh) got suckered into that marketing ploy. Its just plain ridiculous. I was at another hosting company before, but I wanted to try out GoDaddy to see what all the huff was about, and I was not impressed at all.

They dont even have a toll free support number! What is up with that?? For all the money they make Im sure they can afford to supply there non-US residents a toll free number to call. ARGHH!! So I called them the other day to ask them a simple question about FTP settings (because I couldnt weed my way through all of the pointless links on their site to find the answer) and the guy on the phone would just not stop trying to sell me more stuff. And then he got frustrated when I refused to purchase more stupid services from them.
    I mean 60 days I have been stuck with this joke of a company. I can finally transfer my domains back to my original host now, and be done completely with them... Sorry had to vent! Anyone run into the same problems?? I know they are cheap for domain registration, but I think that just might be all their good for. :mad:

AngelaR, Feb 12, 2007 IP
    jhmattern likes this.
  2. Roc

Roc Active Member

Best Answers:
    Letting your steam out, eh?
    Well yes it can be confusing for first time buyers but from second time onwards you just know where to click to register under a minute.
    I have never had any probs with their support as such but then I always went for email support. Very detailed step by step instructions and explanation was what I got.

Roc, Feb 12, 2007 IP
    carl_in_florida likes this.
  3. AngelaR

AngelaR Guest

Best Answers:
    Roc: Just curious about your signature line:

"It's amazing how you want a million people to visit your site everyday but you don't want anyone from DP to see it. "

When have you ever ran into this problem?

AngelaR, Feb 12, 2007 IP
  4. TanItAll

TanItAll Peon

Best Answers:
    that's odd, I have used GoDaddy for the past 5 years without any problems. Yeah, the whole registration part gets tedious, but I have grown to just ignore all the hype and flashy ads and just buy what I need.

I guess I have grown use to it and don't see it as an issue. I've used tech support about 10 times and 9 of them were great. One was with someone clueless so I just hung up and redialed to get another rep. just my 2 cents

TanItAll, Feb 12, 2007 IP
  5. uttoransen

uttoransen Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    i like the vedios of go daddy on there website.

about the ftp, they have a tutorial, which is nice.

the problem i ran into was, i hosted the my domain, on the free godaddy account which i got free with the paid one.
    that was really un necessarry, as i did not want any ads supported free stuff from godaddy. and i hosted my domian on that one, and really could not help myself as i was pretty new.:mad:

then i have emailed them, and they replied, "you have hosted it in the free account, perhaps you would want to host it in the account that you have bought."
    what the hell of a responce that was. i mean, why would i want to put my paid domain in a ad supported free hosting, when i have already paid for a hosting.
    that answer did not helped a newbee, and i had to do it all myself. i somehow hosted it properly, took a lot of time and effort.

am pretty much exprienced now, and it's a child's play to use godaddy if you ask me today. but i just can't forgot that that, i though that i have paid for a ads supported hosting, and was pretty frustrated and very sad:( :mad: :eek: .
    but now am happy with godaddy.
    cheers!

uttoransen, Feb 12, 2007 IP
  6. bobchrist

bobchrist Active Member

Best Answers:
    Godaddy is good & reliable DOMAIN registrar. :)

bobchrist, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  7. Mirage

Mirage Active Member

Best Answers:
    AngelaR, I understand your pain completely.

I find their registration process to be very confusing...even if you take away all of the ads...I have seen much better designed user interfaces...and I've told them about it.

However, I did call them on the phone (sorry you could not get an 800 number) and they walked me through the process...on more than one occassion. It gave me the chance to give them "commentary" on the registration site's design. You know:

"Ohhhh...that was a really GOOD place to hide THAT setting...I would NEVER have thought to look for it there! My congratulations to your web designer...I'll bet almost NO ONE ever figures THAT out on the first try..."

Sarcasm spread on good and think...they got the picture, even if no changes were made to the site. Probably because the site *is* focused more on selling than order fulfillment I think.

As for the ads...yeah...a real pain. I'll admit that I have developed a "selective blindness" to most of the ads online these days. I mean, you cannot even search for "scotts lawn care" without getting X-rated site advertisements....sheesh!

I digress...

My experience with Tech Support at GoDaddy has been very good. Yes, they try to sell you. The service though is acceptable to me and the pricing is right. I figure I just have to "pay" for those lower prices by constantly saying "no thank you" over and over again to the person on the phone.

Mirage, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  8. Ben wilkins

Ben wilkins Peon

Best Answers:
    I would never use godaddy, they suspended all my friends 18 domains, because someone bought hosting from him with credit card fraud, and he didnt know about it. So why close my friends sites?

Ben wilkins, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  9. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I use Godaddy all the time for my domains, b/c I like their interface for that (well, at least before they changed it I did... now I mostly use them b/c nearly all of my domains are there already). However, for hosting, it's another story. Other than 1&1, Godaddy is the worst registrar/hosting company I've ever worked with.

My biggest issue (of many) with them was about control over email. Not only were the accounts for my writers something I had to buy as an add-on at the time (think they include more now), but they tried to tell me what my writers and I were and weren't allowed to receive via email.

In my case, I was using Constant Contact for a newsletter. The public subscribers could get it fine. My writers couldn't receive our site newsletter, b/c Godaddy decided to blacklist them for all customers, and wouldn't offer any option for you to manually override their blacklist. It was complete BS. When I called them to bitch about it, the guy I spoke with essentially said them being blacklisted had to do with Godaddy having or launching some competing service.

That was enough to make me fly off the handle... some host telling me how I can and cannot run my business or communicate with my contractors b/c it's their own marketing ploy. So I said screw that, went to HostGator, and have been with them for probably 2 years now and absolutely love them. Godaddy is just awful - you really don't have nearly enough freedom in what you can do with your sites there. Just switch to someone else. HostGator is great, but I'm sure there are other good ones.

jhmattern, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  10. bobby9101

bobby9101 Peon

Best Answers:
    i love godaddy for domains, nothing else :D

bobby9101, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  11. AngelaR

AngelaR Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all your replies! Had to vent there last night, was sooo incredibly frustrated, just trying to find the EPP code to transfer my domains was another tedious fishing expedition weeding through all the junk just to find the right page. Thanks guys! :) Im soooo done with them, and I will never go back.

AngelaR, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  12. Roc

Roc Active Member

Best Answers:
    :p Just so many people protecting their niche. Though I understand their point of view but sometimes people get too paranoid, for ex even when they are selling their sites. You want to boast about it but are afraid someone will copy your brilliant niche and your EPC will go down and what not. :rolleyes:

Coming back to registrar problems. I have had my share with net4domains and I can write a post longer than this thread on how I hate them. Would you believe their customer support guy wanted to charge me $40 to create the nameserver entries for my VPS!! Yes their interface doesnt even provide that facility so you have to get it done through them. And they still have my money since november and I dont have a domain, now they have forgotten when did I pay them. MORONS!! :mad:

Now I register with either godaddy or namecheap. Namecheap has the easiest registration process and cleanest interface that I have ever seen.

Roc, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  13. romance

romance Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I like the new look! much easier to make changes to groups of domains all at one time!

i agree that they're pretty heavy on the promotions but once you've ordered domains from them before then its plain sailing.

hosting on the other hand...I now refuse to touch hosting companies that dont offer cpanel. Even mediatemple is a confusing mess of click after click..

romance, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  14. bobby9101

bobby9101 Peon

Best Answers:
    check out slhost.com, they have great VPS prices for hosting, I have been using them for about 2 weeks lol
    but so far they have great support and no problems.

oh, and i like the new interface of godaddy :p

bobby9101, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  15. KingofKings

KingofKings Banned

Best Answers:
    I love godaddy, there professional and perfect for me.

Try pushing the quick checkout button next time :)

KingofKings, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  16. techpr

techpr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I can register, renew a domain or any service under a minute or two if you follow the right links. You have to get used more. Great service from GD.

techpr, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  17. hybone

hybone Peon

Best Answers:
    I can register with GoDaddy quick and fast ... just need to click on "Quick Checkout". I have not hosted with them so I wouldn't know about that.

What about Moniker? I also have domains registered with them. Anybody knows if there are things I have to look out for when it comes to renewals and expiring domains with either GoDaddy or Moniker?

hybone, Feb 14, 2007 IP
  18. Mirage

Mirage Active Member

Best Answers:
    I just wanted to chime in that yes, I HAVE had this problem with GoDaddy as well. It just recently came up. They are blocking people's emails to myself and my wife without so much as a "by-your-leave."

Supposedly the senders are receiving an email telling them how to get "unblocked," but those who have notified me of the problem have yet to forward a copy to my gmail account so I can look it over.

I did speak with GoDaddy about it and they indicated that, as you said, there is nothing I can do about it as the filtering takes place before it ever gets to my account.

If I were relying on them heavily for my email I would have to switch to someone else as well.

Mirage, Feb 15, 2007 IP
  19. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, what are they? Freaking AOL? lol It's pretty pathetic, and no one serious about running an online business would (or should) touch them with a ten foot pole. Your host absolutely shouldn't be deciding who you can and can't receive email from, and if they have a blacklist, you need to be able to whitelist anyone on it that you choose for your own accounts. It's rather pathetic.

jhmattern, Feb 15, 2007 IP
  20. Nestrer

Nestrer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I use GoDaddy without problem, but they really somewhat take time :eek:

Nestrer, Feb 15, 2007 IP