1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Stealing images from the web / Vector Help - HELPFUL INFO FOR EVERYONE

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by warpser, Mar 27, 2007.

- I see a lot of people stealing images from the web.
    (Yes, it's stealing, not borrowing. They spent the time to create it, but not for you to just take it and make money)
    Consider this, try to use the AOL logo and sell it, see what happens =) (I don't recommend it though)

I'm not trying to be mean,
    But those people have to understand that, you can't be doing that. If the owner of the clip art finds out, they can take legal action, and that would not be good at all for the contest holder.

Besides that doesn't work to well for a "logo" which at times it needs to printed, or scaled up/down without it losing quality.
    (Some people get lost when creating a logo, and end up creating a banner looking thing instead. I used to do that sometimes too)
    I Realize illustrations are probably worth more for the time and effort, but it's the best way to avoid legal action.

- NOTE: Sometimes there is no need for vector/HiRes art, if the contest holder doesn't plan for use outside the web.

If you want images you should draw them, and create a version in photoshop.

Vector Is a Way of doing something, not a program! Photoshop has this ability. Vector is basically the "Pen Tool"!
    Adobe Illustrator is simply another program, but with emphasize on vector.

Vector vs Raster: (Raster is non-vector)
    http://www.sketchpad.net/basics1.htm

Vector/Raster Explained:
    http://www.graphicdesignforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41

Helpful Links:
    Create A Vector Car of An Image: (Probably Not good to steal ideas either)
    http://www.teamphotoshop.com/articl...ing-a-Vector-image-in-Photoshop-5,8,101a.html

- This is just my opinion, i'm not here to boss those people around or tell them what to do. It's actually the other way around, i'm trying to help out a bit, even though it may seem harsh to some.
    Feel free to comment on this

warpser, Mar 27, 2007 IP
  2. NikkiBlue

NikkiBlue Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Do you realize that there are tons of clipart packs available for sale online and offline?
    Many graphic designers use them.

There is a difference between a Graphic Designer and an Illustrator. Sometimes the roles overlap, but not for a $50 job. Do you really think that a graphic designer will bring in an illustrator to work on $50 logo that's posted here?

NikkiBlue, Mar 27, 2007 IP
  3. warpser

warpser Active Member

Best Answers:
    Good Point NikkiBlue,

Yes I do realize that...
    Although no one buys clip art for competitions (I think) because there is no guarantee you will win. A few people do Steal them though...
    It would be a great idea of the contest holder and contestant can agree on it though. Mabey have the holder buy clip art.

There's nothing written in stone forbids a designer to illustrate or do anything else besides just design. But I understand not everyone can draw.
    As for the prize money, I agree completely, but then again if the prize amount was to low I just won't enter.

warpser, Mar 27, 2007 IP
  4. DustyDog

DustyDog Guest

Best Answers:
    I agree NikkiBlue, it's a pointless discussion in a forum like this which has contests for such low prices. It happens, it's happening and it will continue to.

For $30, it's an insult for a Competition Holder to ask for anything more. What is created is still artistic. I don't agree with using whole images as the main basis for the logo, though. As that's just purely uncreative.

DustyDog, Mar 27, 2007 IP
  5. mitcharr

mitcharr Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Warpser This Doesnt Look Like A Contest To Me...

mitcharr, Mar 27, 2007 IP
  6. SNiiP3R

SNiiP3R Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Unique and professional logos don't cost $30 - $50. If they want something truely unique and professional, then they should be ready to pay $200 - $500 for a logo.

SNiiP3R, Mar 27, 2007 IP
  7. warpser

warpser Active Member

Best Answers:
    lol, Hmmm... It doesn't look like a contest to me either...
    That's what I was going for,

warpser, Mar 27, 2007 IP
  8. dvirhazout

dvirhazout Active Member

Best Answers:
    warpser- I realy agree with what you wrote! I see alot of pepole over here taking images from webs and they even don't mention it..!
    personaly, I use in this photoshop feature - the abillity to creat vector logos with pen tool.
    I participated in a contest (not in DP) and draw couple of objects with pentool.. it's much more difficult than just taking an image from google but I realy Njoyed the work and this is the most important thing in all this stuff...

dvirhazout, Mar 27, 2007 IP
  9. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    As a guy who bought a logo here, I'd be very disappointed to find out that the image was not original content. Clip art is one thing, grabbing off of google images or something like that is another.

nevetS, Mar 27, 2007 IP
  10. Hecky

Hecky Like a Dungeon Dragon!

Best Answers:
    You can't generalize on every artist, heck, I bet that a decent artist would be happy to do what they love doing, whether for money or not. Yes, you have to earn a living, but who does earn a living from entering logo contests?

People who are serious about logos should stay away from contests like these, and quit complaining about what people offer. If you don't like what is being offered, stay away and charge what you like for your precious services, after all you arent obliged to enter a competition.

Hecky, Mar 27, 2007 IP
  11. mitcharr

mitcharr Notable Member

Best Answers:
    if you dont like prices on here, ive done a search for forums like this that also run logo contests, and most of them offer really high prices, i dont think there were any under the $100 and went up to around $1000

mitcharr, Mar 27, 2007 IP
  12. lecius

lecius Banned

Best Answers:
    thats why I have my little buddy...called the DISCLAIMER!!!

lecius, Mar 31, 2007 IP
  13. aquarat

aquarat Peon

Best Answers:
    stealing images is one thing using a paid for clip art package is another.

aquarat, Apr 1, 2007 IP
  14. sam2698

sam2698 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    what are u trying to prove here?
    webdesigning is a talent that requires motivation and ideas from other artists.
    stealing a idea is very very very common but its not stealing

even in logo contests u can see that many people have very very similar entries, thats not stealing...

This category of work has that downside and u cant try and change it
    specially by posting in a contest forum

sam2698, Apr 1, 2007 IP
  15. killerj

killerj Active Member

Best Answers:
    this topic is so lame.. I've been accused of stealing too .. its been out of jealousy and work/talent involved was not at all viewed. Being a designer , you face criticism and appreciation all the time, but that doesn't mean you have to start such topics on forums that are not meant for discussions .

killerj, Apr 1, 2007 IP
  16. warpser

warpser Active Member

Best Answers:
    sam2698 - I'm not gearing towards "ideas" but actual images taken...
    Besides, the more creative the better right? or no?
    Who wants to see the same ideas used over and over and over...?

Wow, I didn't want to accuse anyone, but am i going to have to post the picture up?
    Of someone obviously taking a picture from the net, and still to this day thinks everyone is blind enough not to see it?
    It's pretty pointless, because it's like trying to spot clown at a business meeting, so obvious.

There was an actual contest thread that made me start this...
    I didn't make this thread just because i felt like wasting my time...

See Thread:
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=266461

- Dunno why thread was moved here... as this will help contest holders from being sold something already copyright..

warpser, Apr 1, 2007 IP
  17. NikkiBlue

NikkiBlue Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

You already posted in that contest thread. The potential buyer is aware- that's all you can do.

Your post is also about drawing and using vector. I agree that images should not be stolen-but dont ASSUME that they are just because you have seen them before .

If you think a member here is going to draw a unique mascot for a $35 prize, YOU ARE BLIND.

NikkiBlue, Apr 1, 2007 IP
  18. warpser

warpser Active Member

Best Answers:
    NikkiBlue, I understand... But please stop making me go in circles.

(Mabey you are blind?)

IF the prize money is TOO LOW, then don't join?!

I realize clip art is an option, but it's pretty un-unique =/ not saying it's wrong or anything. It'd be funny to see 100 modified AOL logos going around =/ Anyway that's your opinion thanks,
    And, i think half probably don't use clip art =/

My post was moved... Thanks. I assume it was an attempt by killerj, so that no one in contest can see this,
    If not, i apoligize.
    - Besides, i let this go a while ago... Dunno why it's back.

warpser, Apr 1, 2007 IP