1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

phpBB or IPB???

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by miktor, Apr 3, 2007.

hi all, i was going to buy a multi forum script and there are two versions of it, one with phpBB and one with IPB forum software. which would you reccomend? what are the pros and cons of each? i would appreciate any help

thanks!

miktor, Apr 3, 2007 IP
  2. eurochamp

eurochamp Peon

Best Answers:
    well i have been using IPB for a year and a half now.. and its great i love it. But some people actually say that VB is better.

eurochamp, Apr 5, 2007 IP
  3. Agent_Smith

Agent_Smith Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Same. I use IPB, but i might be moving to VB. Although i will have to research exactly what it can do.

Agent_Smith, Apr 5, 2007 IP
  4. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    You're asking like "Free or paid", aren't you?

Even though low budget will probably pick phpBB, I'd spend my money on IPB out of the two, even though my choice would be another forum which is none of these.

Clive, Apr 5, 2007 IP
  5. masoko2

masoko2 Peon

Best Answers:
    phpBB sux there are exploits for this forum every month you have to constantly patch it if you don't want to be hacked.

masoko2, Apr 5, 2007 IP
  6. MGOB

MGOB Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes phpBB does have a lot of exploits but if you need to do something on the cheap, it's pretty much your best option, otherwise I would recommend vBulletin over IPB.

MGOB, Apr 5, 2007 IP
  7. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    Do not forget to mention SMF as one of the best Free options compared to phpBB.

Clive, Apr 6, 2007 IP
  8. miktor

miktor Peon

Best Answers:
    i currently use SMF for all of my forums but i was asking between the other two because of a forum hosting script i came accross which had those two options

miktor, Apr 6, 2007 IP
  9. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    Oh I see, then I'd definitely switch to IPB out of the two options, if I afforded it.

Clive, Apr 6, 2007 IP
  10. BattJam

BattJam Peon

Best Answers:
    If you can go for vB however IPB is still an excellent piece of forum software i used for a good 3 years + Support is excellent and friendly, i just don't like their support system now and how to get hacks/mods for the board, there doesnt seem to be much outside modding sites for it anymore as there use to be.

IPB over Phpbb, phpbb has far too many errors and being free you're not always guaranteed support & top level security.

BattJam, Apr 6, 2007 IP