1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Tips for an own CMS

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Chamaro Zwinkels, Apr 17, 2007.

Hi everyone,

In a couple of weeks, I think I begin to make my own CMS system. It is for users who have a domain, but can't work with html and php and so...
    I want to work with a WYSIWYG editor, so the users can see everything they do.

Do you have any tips for me what I can make in the CMS? Something like: Do I need to make a pollsysteem or not? And what do you need in a CMS?

Already thanks!

Chamaro Zwinkels

P.s. Sorry for my bad English ;)

Chamaro Zwinkels, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  2. Michelangelo

Michelangelo Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't recommand you to do your own CMS as long you are no expert in all topics. There are lots out there which are very good.

Michelangelo, Apr 18, 2007 IP
  3. Chamaro Zwinkels

Chamaro Zwinkels Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes I know, but I will make my own because that's better for me, because other CMS are not exactly what I want.. and i'm a scripter, so, I can do it...

Chamaro Zwinkels, Apr 18, 2007 IP
  4. Michelangelo

Michelangelo Peon

Best Answers:
    Did you have a look at the blogger layout section? if you can make your cms just like that, it would be great.

Michelangelo, Apr 18, 2007 IP
  5. jquindlen

jquindlen Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I've made my own CMS. It's a lot of hard work, especially securing your code. There's also so many features to add, it can literally take one developer years to catch up to some of the better CMS systems available. My advice is to take an open source CMS and hack the hell out of it into your own beast. Hell, if you fork it off into something relevant, you may even get more attention and user base than if you were to design from scratch. Just make sure you watch the license agreements and comply with them, especially if you publicly release your CMS.

jquindlen, Apr 18, 2007 IP
  6. Chamaro Zwinkels

Chamaro Zwinkels Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for your tips.
    I don't know what to do for sure, I'll think about it... first i'm going to make an online game (I already started with it...) and then I'll look again...

Thanks for your tips!

Chamaro

7. Chamaro Zwinkels

Chamaro Zwinkels Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe I can do that, I think, if I make a CMS, I'll make that too.

8. EJRaven

EJRaven Active Member

Best Answers:
    You are 14.

EJRaven, Apr 18, 2007 IP
  9. Chamaro Zwinkels

Chamaro Zwinkels Peon

Best Answers:
    What do you mean?

10. decepti0n

decepti0n Peon

Best Answers:
    You'll need a poll system if you want your CMS to be used by people who need a poll o.0

You can always try focussing on one area (gamers, social, webmaster etc) instead of making a 'general' one where a trillion modules/plugins are needed to ensure its suitable for anyone who wants it

And I think a wysiwyg editor might be javascript, but thats because its the only one i've seen (something i downloaded off some random long forgotten site)

decepti0n, Apr 19, 2007 IP
  11. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    As long as you are a scripter to play with PHP, there will be a hacker to test your scripts when your days are sunny. The biggest advantage of an existing CMS backed up by an active community is regarding this aspect. Security.

Prompt dealing with bug fixes and security issues, that's what you need to have covered. Plus, a great collection of extensions of plugins will only help your project. And if you're a good coder, that means doors are open to further enhancements. Why not?

Clive, Apr 19, 2007 IP