1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

This is getting crazy ... best way to manage my site?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Forrest, May 29, 2007.

My website is essentially my portfolio online, photo galleries and individual pages with the photo, some information and comments about it, and so on. I have 99 photos, maybe 15 galleries, and then some galleries and software. All of this is static html and I'm using Notepad++ to hand-edit all of it.

I'm thinking there's got to be a better way, especially since I'm pretty good in C#. In fact I wrote some software called Exif Harvester that deals with digital photography, extracting metadata from collections of files, so I'm even considering making that into a full-blown CMS.

Is there something off-the-shelf that would work for a site like mine? ( See: http://forrestcroce.com/Galleries/Seattle.html ) If not, would storing the raw data in XML and using XSLT to produce HTML be the way to go? Or would learning or building a CMS be more trouble than just working on the markup directly?

I'd like to make some changes to my navigation, which means changing a lot of pages, across many lines, so traditional search and replace doesn't really work...

Forrest, May 29, 2007 IP
  2. SpringCypress

SpringCypress Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Have you looked at Menalto Gallery 2
    or
    Coppermine?

SpringCypress, May 29, 2007 IP
  3. Forrest

Forrest Peon

Best Answers:
    No, I haven't heard of either of them ... looks like i have some research to do, thanks!

Forrest, May 29, 2007 IP
  4. EJRaven

EJRaven Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, I recommend those two.

Make sure you have at least a strong semi-dedicated server if you decide to use Gallery 2, it can be very CPU drainy.

Coppermine runs fine on a share hosting account.

EJRaven, May 29, 2007 IP