1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Traffic from Digg: Any Good?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by xooMan, Jun 5, 2007.

Hi all,

I've been thinking about writing a good article and putting it on Digg.com and then manage to have it dug as many times as possible. But...

I can imagine that ending up on a front page of a site with Alexa Rank < 100 (e.g. Digg) will drive huge amounts of traffic. And people seem to strive for that. But I suspect that that's going to be a low-quality traffic: the majority will just come and go. And conversion rate will be ridiculous. Or am I wrong?

Has anybody have experience of getting large traffic from Digg? What kind of traffic is that?

TIA

xooMan, Jun 5, 2007 IP
  2. ehuq

ehuq Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, digg will give you some random traffic not targeted traffic. To get targeted traffic you should better try free classifieds like craigslist, kijiji or backpage.

Digg is suitable to news sharing or video sharing sties. For other type of sites (an online shop for example) digg is not designed at all.

ehuq, Jun 5, 2007 IP
  3. xXDanteXx

xXDanteXx Banned

Best Answers:
    You will get good amount of traffic, but dont expect to get clicks on your ads from them.

although it is good for some natural backlinks

xXDanteXx, Jun 5, 2007 IP
  4. rosiee007

rosiee007 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digg gets you users and traffic, but as already mentioned, most of the traffic is not targetted and you won't see them coming back to your site. There will be a lot of bandwidth usage, no revenue; more like a pike in your traffic and then everything will be back to normal. You'll get a few back links maybe, but as far as the backlinks are concerned, that is not due to digg effect, but due to the quality of the article, as good articles written as link bait do attract natural links.

rosiee007, Jun 5, 2007 IP
  5. Ernster

Ernster Peon

Best Answers:
    I seriously give up with Digg, it's pretty much impossible to get people to digg you let alone go on the front page unless you cheat some how or are a part of "the club".

Ernster, Jun 5, 2007 IP
  6. ouromarketing

ouromarketing Peon

Best Answers:
    Linkbait articles need publicity and coverage. And Digg is a good way to gain that coverage. If you write linkbait, Digg is a good way to gather links. If not, it is just excessive bandwidth usage.

ouromarketing, Jun 5, 2007 IP
  7. zexy

zexy Guest

Best Answers:
    The only good thing about Digg is that you get a lot of backlinks if your story hits the front page.

Otherwise the traffic is just a random crap that will disappear after a few days.
    Digg users doesn't click ads too ;)

zexy, Jun 5, 2007 IP
  8. ouromarketing

ouromarketing Peon

Best Answers:
    Good solution is to become part of the club--it's not that hard:)

ouromarketing, Jun 5, 2007 IP
  9. had

had Peon

Best Answers:
    like zexy wrote: you get backlinks, and you get traffic.. but you don't get $

had, Jun 5, 2007 IP
  10. Ernster

Ernster Peon

Best Answers:
    Interesting...tell me more please:)

Ernster, Jun 5, 2007 IP
  11. had

had Peon

Best Answers:
    @ernster: i guess it's like fight club :)

had, Jun 5, 2007 IP
  12. mixke

mixke Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    you might get some backlinks and maybe some returning visitors aswell which can be helpfull in liong run .
    Dont write just for the sake to get to the first page but write with an aim of informative article !!

mixke, Jun 5, 2007 IP
  13. bobchrist

bobchrist Active Member

Best Answers:
    If your story has good content it generate traffic and your site get good exposer infront of many people and more chances is that the web savvy people will bookmark your site and will share.

bobchrist, Jun 5, 2007 IP
  14. mightyb

mightyb Banned

Best Answers:
    Digg's traffic is useless. Digg's SEO effects are amazing however because there are so many people who use Digg's data/blogging about Digg's top stories. I have managed to boost one of my sites to PR6 by doing nothing but Digging. Its all in my secret document

mightyb, Jun 5, 2007 IP
  15. zoobie

zoobie Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, Digg can generate a good amount of traffic but it doesn't guarantee a purchase.

zoobie, Jun 5, 2007 IP
  16. Etherfast

Etherfast Peon

Best Answers:
    Digg's cannot be counted as targeted traffic. They most come and go, indeed. But that spike is more than enough to crash your webserver in most cases, especially for those who are using shared hosting environments.

Digg users don't click on ads excessively, but everytime I got a front page story everything turned out OK from the revenue point of view.

Last but not least, you'll get backlinks if your story reaches the frontpage and that could help you rank better.

Etherfast, Jun 5, 2007 IP
  17. xooMan

xooMan Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks all,

it sounds like digging is still good. Even with low-quality traffic I get backlinks, which is good.

xooMan, Jun 5, 2007 IP
  18. Annie7

Annie7 Active Member

Best Answers:
    It depends on the niche and your article. if you write about SEO, promotion techniques or smth like that, you are unlikely to get some quality traffic. If you are in the entertainment niche, it will be good.

Annie7, Jun 6, 2007 IP
  19. xooMan

xooMan Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm. My niche is live customer support since I'm in charge of developing and promoting a live help tool.

xooMan, Jun 6, 2007 IP
  20. drhousingbubble

drhousingbubble Member

Best Answers:
    Digg is great as long as the traffic comes from other users digging your site.

drhousingbubble, Jun 6, 2007 IP