1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is There Still a Market for "New" Social/Community Networking Sites

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by drewfreeman, Jun 24, 2007.

Do you believe that there is still a market for social networking sites? If you do a search on Google you can literally find hundreds of different "community" based sites like Myspace or Friendster. Yet, most of them have a very loyal base of users so does that mean there's still a market for this type of site?

The second part of this question is what scripts are the best for this type of application? There are way too many to choose from nowadays.

drewfreeman, Jun 24, 2007 IP
  2. keyz

keyz Peon

Best Answers:
    Of course there is a market for social/community sites. Just look at how popular they are. Perhaps you mean is there still a chance for success for new and upcoming social networking sites? Well, not everyone is going to like MySpace and not everyone is going to like Facebook. If you can find a way to do something better than the other, then you've found a place in the market.

The best script for this type of application is probably one that is customized to your goals as a community, otherwise you will probably end up becoming a "cookie cutter" social networking site with no real value because people find your just the same as everyone else.

keyz, Jun 24, 2007 IP
  3. Lazzaro

Lazzaro Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are making a social networking site, I suggest adding msn to it, because I am using facebook now and the only disadvantage that I hate about facebook is there is no msn, and I use it so much.

Lazzaro, Jun 24, 2007 IP
  4. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    Check out the site, www.killerstartups.com, and tell me if the market is still good for Social Networking sites.
    It seems that is what every start up is these days.
    It's the new catch phrase.

If you are going to do it, please do something original.
    Please!

hmansfield, Jun 24, 2007 IP
  5. MichaelThanatos

MichaelThanatos Peon

Best Answers:
    There is a definite market for social websites out there. People are becoming more intelligent and are losing fulfillment from the rundown mundane routine of television. They would like to find a place that is fun and easy to talk to other REAL people.
    You should also try business social sites like MyOneConnection.com. I know that you can meet people and businesses there as well.

MichaelThanatos, Jun 24, 2007 IP
  6. ericeric

ericeric Guest

Best Answers:
    a few examples please:)

ericeric, Jun 24, 2007 IP
  7. john269

john269 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There is still a market for everything online practically. You just have to do things slightly different and watch or competitors closely and try and be better than them. You will then get in amongst the bigger ones sooner or lately if you do things right.

john269, Jun 24, 2007 IP
  8. chuckd1356

chuckd1356 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'd write my own. :)

Your own code is always better.
    And you should do extensive research before jumping right in.
    And some things to keep in mind, facebook is doing everything these days. They've launched the FaceBook platform, allowing users to create apps with deep integration.

Not to discourage you, but you have to find this stuff, make it better, and succeed.

There's definitely a market for it, you just have to make it perfect. MySpace is dying out, it's been proven. They are still gaining millions of users in a very short time, but FaceBook is catching up.

Find their weaknesses (features and marketing that is) and exploit them and fix them within your own site.

You will never be as big, but you can definitely make some cash and get some visitors if done correctly.
    Remember affiliates are key. :)

Hope this helps!

chuckd1356, Jun 24, 2007 IP
  9. Greg Carnegie

Greg Carnegie Peon

Best Answers:
    I would only start with new social network if i had an idea, how to make my site stand out of the crowd, if you are going to clone myspace then it is probably waste of time.

Take your time and think for a while: What will make my site special so people will visit me instead of myspace/facebook or whatever.

You can also consider starting niche social network.

Greg Carnegie, Jun 24, 2007 IP
  10. bunnybling

bunnybling Peon

Best Answers:
    Look at trends in other more mature areas of the internet.

Search became commonplace and saturated by the big boys. The we began to see a more agressive approach to more specific search (local, niche, etc)

Dating sites have gone from the broad spectrum of users to a vast selection of niche dating sites from millionaires to seniors.

It's safe to assume that social networks will evolve in the same way.

bunnybling, Jun 25, 2007 IP
  11. Kontent.solutions

Kontent.solutions Peon

Best Answers:
    Dating niche is far from being matured. There can be a lot more that can be achieved in that stream. Just that I need some heavy investment to get started.. Any "Angel" investors here :D

~G

Kontent.solutions, Jun 25, 2007 IP
  12. bunnybling

bunnybling Peon

Best Answers:

To clarify.(Dating sites) Maybe not completely evolved but more mature than social networks like MySpace.

bunnybling, Jun 25, 2007 IP