1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Custom made CMS - worth time & money?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by saracohen, Jun 27, 2007.

I am thinking of custom making my own CMS via a programming company. I need something made for SEO. I.e. ability to make SEF URLs etc. SEF commerce etc. I have 2.5 questions:

1) what would you add to your custom made CMS?
    2) what CMS have you found that is most SEO friendly? what are the limitations?

Thanks! :)

saracohen, Jun 27, 2007 IP
  2. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    why dont you have look to joomla? i dont think you will get a different solution than joomla. why do you want to pay money ?:)

trichnosis, Jun 27, 2007 IP
  3. saracohen

saracohen Guest

Best Answers:
    there are no limitations with joomla? what about making a custom google-like search on your website? with the "did you mean..." etc. if there is a misspelling?

sites that use CMS don't load slower because of all the code? Thanks.

saracohen, Jun 27, 2007 IP
  4. xxKillswitch

xxKillswitch Peon

Best Answers:
    Joomla will probably be really slow on shared hosting, but should be good for most other hosting plans. It really depends on how much code and how well it is written. If the CMS is loadin gmany files, performing many queries then yes, that will cause alot of extra load on teh server and slow page load times.

xxKillswitch, Jun 28, 2007 IP
  5. saracohen

saracohen Guest

Best Answers:
    When you say most other hosting plans which are you referring to? Virtual? Dedicated? You said "how much code and how well it is written"... isn't this already done by joomla? Lets say my website is going to have 5 thousand html pages... what do you suggest? should I create a custom simple SEO CMS?

saracohen, Jun 28, 2007 IP
  6. SEOBoy

SEOBoy Banned

Best Answers:
    There are many available CMS which can handle such problems.

I would not prefer to go for custom CMS, unless and until your website will really be different with unique ideas and unique plans and services to provide.

Content based sites can always be made by available CMS around(mostly free)

SEOBoy, Jun 28, 2007 IP
  7. xxKillswitch

xxKillswitch Peon

Best Answers:
    What I mean is that Joomla has a large code base, they also use many other libraries such as PEAR for database abstraction and patTemplate, etc. Joomla is coded really well, but its very heavy for shared hosting. Other hosting plans which Joomla run well on are VPS (depending on what resources you are alloted) and dedicated servers. I have a dedicated and Joomla is extremely fast without caching. When I had VPS it still ran pretty smoothly.

It doesnt really matter how many pages you have, its how many people are reading them and making requests for those pages that will get you. If you have several thousand online at a time, you might want to consider custom code that can be extended easily, but is straight to the point in delivering content and not running alot of extra uneeded code.

xxKillswitch, Jun 28, 2007 IP
  8. saracohen

saracohen Guest

Best Answers:
    ok. so what do you think of custom CMS that basically generates SEF pages. I can write the links myself, tag everything by subject, make folders /whatever/xyz.htm. a wiki to copy and past content into.
    what else am I missing?

what do you mean by "extended easily"? like I just tell the programmers to make code as basic as possible not to take up ram on server? Thanks.

saracohen, Jun 29, 2007 IP
  9. WengChun

WengChun Active Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't want to waste money or time on custom built CMS when there are good Free CMS around such as Joomla and Drupal :D

WengChun, Jun 29, 2007 IP
  10. saracohen

saracohen Guest

Best Answers:
    So what plugins are best for Joomla? I heard that even joomla can get slow because of it's code.

saracohen, Jul 1, 2007 IP
  11. pj1s

pj1s Active Member

Best Answers:
    Drupals own site, couldn't run Drupal, because the community was becoming so large... that's when you need a costum solution.

Point: Drupal is developed by intelligent people, and they still run into these problems... getting five guys in a Software Company to do a weeks work, wont solve anything - just give your self a headache and an empty bank account...

Second point: Research what system you go with - and make sure, that the database structure is good, as in you being able to easily migrate to which ever system you need at any given point. --> Stardards and object oriented coding is a plus...

pj1s, Jul 3, 2007 IP
  12. saracohen

saracohen Guest

Best Answers:
    pj1s -
    what do u mean by "standards and object oriented coding" ?

saracohen, Jul 8, 2007 IP
  13. saracohen

saracohen Guest

Best Answers:
    what is the downside to custom making a CMS that makes SEF urls, makes SEF categories, tagging ability, SEF commerce, wiki.

am I missing anything?

saracohen, Jul 8, 2007 IP
  14. Absolutus

Absolutus Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm starting my custom coded cms because most cms don't fit my requirements, but I will program the cms in house.

My advices are the following:
    Strong Anti spam features.
    A fast way to adding the contenents.

Absolutus, Jul 11, 2007 IP
  15. MasterOfLogic

MasterOfLogic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Custom CMS is the way to go. In the long run, you end with with the exact product you want, not working around someone elses product. You will have to sacrifice time of course to build it.

MasterOfLogic, Jul 12, 2007 IP
  16. numballover

numballover Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd also recommend a custom CMS on the security side. If you have a program that everyone else has, then chances are someone will know an exploit. If your site gets big enough, you'll catch the attention of hackers and blackhats wanting to do all sorts of link injection schemes.

numballover, Jan 9, 2008 IP
  17. INTELEX

INTELEX Peon

Best Answers:
    INTELEX, Jan 28, 2008 IP
  18. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    I would never get a custom made CMS, you'll be at the mercy of the developer for the life of the website.

Joomla is too bloated and it's as slow as balls when the site gets big.

I still say, use Wordpress :D clean, easy to hack, arguably the biggest plugin/theme community out of all the other blog/cms platforms...

Pixelrage, Jan 28, 2008 IP
  19. daringtakers

daringtakers Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How will you evaluate drupal in term of speed on shared hosting and other plans?

daringtakers, Jan 29, 2008 IP