1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The Million Dollar Idea

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Tayshaun Prince, Jul 10, 2007.

I remember seeing a story on the news a while ago about a college student who sold advertising space on his web site at the price of $1 per pixel. He ended up selling 1 million pixels and making a million dollars to pay for college and other expenses. I read his about me on the site where it explains how he was brainstorming his ideas and came up with this brilliant idea. He encouaged others who wanted to make money to think of a unique and creative idea and make money off of it.

I consider myself to be a very intelligent person. Creativity wasn't always my strong point as I have been thinking for the past week about possible ideas and have come up blank. The best idea I could come up with was stepping in front of moving cars and suing the drivers. I feel like anything is possible for me as we have seen web sites such as Myspace and Youtube generate millions of dollars. I have no idea where to start though and would like a little bit of advice or guidance. I just need to get my creative juices flowing.

P.S. I know a million dollars is kind of a high goal but I would like to make at least a couple thousand.

P.P.S I have zero programming knowlege.

Tayshaun Prince, Jul 10, 2007 IP
  2. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If all ideas where making milions we all become milionairs

And if you don't know coding/programin (like me) do the same hie somebody

As for ides that 1 milion dollar page was something so stupid that mit worked out exactly like the myspace thing it seems the stupidest ideas mke milions

could it be that there are so many stupid people around the world ? i wonder ....

w3bmaster, Jul 11, 2007 IP
  3. it career

it career Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Every body can come up with some or other great ideas,but 99% does not have any buyer of that idea. So the idea which can sell are quite rare

it career, Jul 11, 2007 IP
  4. pr0xy122

pr0xy122 Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah myspace is stupid, I dont think youtube is though.

pr0xy122, Jul 11, 2007 IP
  5. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you figure out an idea, and have the resources to market it properly, I'll be glad helping you out with the programming... :)

JEET, Jul 11, 2007 IP
  6. LegendaryPosting

LegendaryPosting Peon

Best Answers:
    I think alot of you have this all wrong. Most successful company's didn't start there company thinking about getting rich or making money. They started there company to help people with day to day duties or activities. In return they got money for this but they were not just thinking about becoming rich. And it was something they enjoyed doing!

Guy Kawasaki explains this very well in one of his books!

LegendaryPosting, Jul 11, 2007 IP
  7. Kelly West

Kelly West Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a great idea, just not the right kind of money and i don't want to spill it to any 1.. i might contact clearview and see what they think of it.

Kelly West, Jul 11, 2007 IP
  8. gripdoctor

gripdoctor Peon

Best Answers:
    Excellent article in the Entireweb newsletter:

http://www.entireweb.com/newsletter/archive/2007/ISSUE347.html

Covers the 4 stages of consumer action...if you can solve the first stage for them, the rest fall into place fairly easily. Most million dollar ideas start with analyzing an area of need -- consumers have to have a problem in order for a solution to be worth buying.

gripdoctor, Jul 11, 2007 IP
  9. LegendaryPosting

LegendaryPosting Peon

Best Answers:
    thats a great explanation gripdoctor and alot of people don't understand that

LegendaryPosting, Jul 11, 2007 IP
  10. ahkip

ahkip Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    may be you should try out for the Pistons :D

so what's your question again?

ahkip, Jul 11, 2007 IP
  11. Kwaku

Kwaku Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Kwaku, Jul 11, 2007 IP
  12. PHPGator

PHPGator Banned

Best Answers:
    I think the thing about eBay and Youtube are that they were marketed well. They were also one of the first of their kind. There are lots of great ideas, there are lots of markets that are booming right now that you can tap into... but without knowledge in how to market your product or service you will not get anywhere.

Also, be realistic with your goals. Your couple of thousand request isn't really a difficult achievement. It will take money to make money though. Therefore, be prepared to have your ideas professionally implimented. Also ensure you have at least some type of marketing budget. It doesn't always need to be a lot, but know where to advertise your services and ensure you at least market your product somewhere.

PHPGator, Jul 11, 2007 IP
  13. DavidF9

DavidF9 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It is perfectly possible to build up a business without having mega resources to start with. If you know how to market yourself and your business properly you can make anything into a million dollar business - its all about knowing what youre doing and doing it well

DavidF9, Jul 11, 2007 IP
  14. Kwaku

Kwaku Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There are quite a bit of sites boggled together with free scripts, many bugs and standard layout making enough money for someone to live off. Especially small communities/dating/video upload/file upload/photo's can get a few $1000 per month even while the world is full of them. I have many times the same site by just putting together a few pages and marketing it for members, making a few 1000 after a 1.5-2 years running.
    If you are doing it really professionally it might go much faster and maybe you'll get more members, but on average, when I check DP and SP, very nicely created, professional services with money thrown at it fail miserably, while a standard sucky site, doing the same, is not considered a failure. And when you finally have the members and some income you can always turn it into something more professional.
    My 2 cents.

Kwaku, Jul 11, 2007 IP
  15. noxious

noxious Peon

Best Answers:
    first you need to realize how many people think the exact same way as you. take a look at the member stats for DP alone, which is Active Members: 29,809.

second, realize about how many of these people know a beneficial programing language for website management/creation - i'd say it's about 70%. \

a very small margin of sites actually make thousands, most make under 1 dollar a day, so yeah you can't jump into the game expecting to make thousands with no experience and knowledge other than your high IQ.

nobody is going to give you any ideas, however a good way to think is "what would i want on the internet that isn't available?" (being reasonable lol)

noxious, Jul 11, 2007 IP
  16. IamNed

IamNed Peon

Best Answers:
    buy a lottery ticket

IamNed, Jul 11, 2007 IP
  17. AstarothSolutions

AstarothSolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    It isnt just even what I want.... I doubt anyone wanted the million dollar website but it was novel enough to get the media attention required for that sort of idea to work.

I see his new venture is basically the same again other than it is $2m to fill all the pixels but after it is complete each person who has pixels will be put into a prize draw for 50% of the takings (ie $1m)

Many complain that markets are over saturated but it doesnt take much to create a unique selling point and even if you only get a fraction of a percent of a multi-billion dollar industry you have a nice income.

AstarothSolutions, Jul 11, 2007 IP
  18. 8everything

8everything Peon

Best Answers:
    imo all ideas could be good but marketing is key. If you have amazing marketing skills, you can turn almost anything into a success (that's saying a lot :p you'd have to be at the top). An example would be silly fashion clothing trends, some masses can easily believe hypes.

8everything, Jul 11, 2007 IP
  19. knightman

knightman Banned

Best Answers:
    It was a great idea and it was in 2005. Since 2005 we have the growth of web 2.0 and more and more creative ideas are hitting the Internet. However, I do agree that the market for this idea was too over saturated. People, get bored.

Creativity wins in the end.

knightman, Jul 11, 2007 IP
  20. ravencin

ravencin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ehm dude you are fucking desperate. What about your health? what if you stand up in front of a car and the driver is so high he thinks you are a rabbit? crash?

anyways keep trying and good luck :D

ravencin, Jul 11, 2007 IP