1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Thinking about starting a "Spyware, Virus Removal business.. Do i stand a chance?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by hemanmaximus, Jul 15, 2007.

1. *domainatrix*

*domainatrix* Peon

Best Answers:
    From what I have read, I do not think you are ready to open such a business just yet.

You're asking us broad questions about your potential customer base without even telling us where you are located, showing a significant lack of market research. Without checking in your local area to see whether or not people would be interested in such a service you risk making this business a complete flop.

Financially, have you got any start up capital? You said you planned on using craigslist, but if people are already online, do you not think they might look up anti-virus programs themselves? A newspaper advertisement might be a good idea, though costly. I would look at flyers and word-of-mouth to begin with. Print some business cards. Since you seem to have a budget of virtually zero, try Vista Print's free cards. However, I think you seriously need to find some sort of start-up finance to make this profitable enough.

Read about business plans. Make one. Organize your thoughts in a professional manner, as though you were to be presenting it to a bank in asking for a start-up loan. Then come back after YOU YOURSELF have planned this to a point where you can MAKE it profitable.

*domainatrix*, Jul 17, 2007 IP
  2. hemanmaximus

hemanmaximus Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your input. I have more than enough money to invest in this business, But i want to start from scratch. I want to get few clients from craigslist then invest that money back into advertisement. Ohh, about your comment about people being online, Just because they are online and can google a word, doesnt mean they know anything about installing a software then running it. Even if they install and run the software, you still need to know few tricks to get rid of the viruses. Not all virus removal softwares can eliminate all viruses. I am not looking make $10,000 the first month. I just wanna do this part time for now then expend if i see the potential for growth.

:)

hemanmaximus, Jul 17, 2007 IP
  3. *domainatrix*

*domainatrix* Peon

Best Answers:
    It's good to hear that, your post has alleviated some of the concerns I had with your idea. As to the point you made about craigslist, obviously everybody isn't going to know how to install anti-virus software if they use the internet, I just feel as though a lot of the people who read craigslist, an online classifieds site, do.

Either way, good luck with it :)

*domainatrix*, Jul 17, 2007 IP
  4. hand

hand Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You would be amazed how many customers read/post on craigslist yet don't know to take a floppy disk out when they reboot..It takes all kinds I suppose. I think you have a good idea what you want to do it's just a matter of doing it now.

hand, Jul 17, 2007 IP
  5. jetsetter883

jetsetter883 Peon

Best Answers:
    make sure you don't limit yourself to one or two overly popular programs like Ad-Aware and Spysweeper. Try different, more obscure ones as well. i would say get about 10 different programs each serving a slightly different purpose. remember you are going to need programs for hijacked browsers and stuff like that as well. also spyware and adware arent always synonomous. certain adware programs will not remove spyware because technically it is not looking for spyware. so yeah my advice is to get your hands on as many programs as possible and don't limit yourself to just shareware and freeware as the paid programs arent overly expensive.

jetsetter883, Jul 17, 2007 IP
  6. hemanmaximus

hemanmaximus Peon

Best Answers:
    True.

I have gathered more than 10 different programs. :)

hemanmaximus, Jul 18, 2007 IP
  7. netliving

netliving Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think there's definitely a good opportunity for you in this business. It doesn't take much capital to begin with. Your money would be spent mainly on advertising in the beginning. If your service is good then people will recommend you to their friends and neighbors.

With the information age, more and more people are dealing with slower computers because of spyware and viruses. Many people just don't know how to keep their computers running in top shape. They download all sorts of programs and open emails with virus all the time.

I've got a friend who promotes his services to his ethnic community and has referral business all the time. You could start by buying an advertorial in the newspaper and show people easy steps to protect themselves from viruses and spyware when they're surfing the web. Then you could advertise your business.

I know that most people here probably don't think this type of service is necessary as we're all more technically savvy but remember that there are total newbies to computer flocking online each day.

netliving, Jul 18, 2007 IP
  8. Lhlalyam

Lhlalyam Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would say that your work is your best advertisement along with business cards. Once you get a few customers and they like your personality and the work you did... then they will call you back... but they can only call you back if they have your business card... leave one or two extra with them so that they can pass on to other people...

Word of Mouth + Business Cards = A good way to start off

Once things are rolling from there... Get a site going and find some local advertising...

Computer Groups are a good place to start. The one in my local area mainly consists of seniors interested in learning more about computers and gadgets... you could do a free presentation about Viruses and Spyware at the same time getting your business noticed...

Just some thoughts from myself...

Lhlalyam

Lhlalyam, Jul 18, 2007 IP
  9. petemoney

petemoney Peon

Best Answers:
    I know someone who makes an extra $1000 a month doing this. Part time work and some extra money.

petemoney, Jul 18, 2007 IP
  10. dave9713

dave9713 Active Member

Best Answers:
    i work in the virus industry myself and i think you do have a chance... you just need to give an offer the other providers cant match... quite hard without high financial backing however its possible!

dave9713, Jul 19, 2007 IP
  11. aandamar

aandamar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yes of course..
    you can work with clickbank..
    I've posted about free spyware removal on my blog and add some paid version spyware removal.

aandamar, Jan 24, 2010 IP
  12. ahad

ahad Member

Best Answers:
    It depends on advertisement......you may go ahead...good luck

ahad, Feb 13, 2010 IP
  13. hepnor

hepnor Peon

Best Answers:
    There are already many solutions for this already out there and many of them are free.

hepnor, Feb 16, 2010 IP
  14. john_barrett

john_barrett Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes. Advertisment is all, even if there is many solutions for this.
    And not only advertising, but also something "special" that competitors don't have

john_barrett, Feb 16, 2010 IP