1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

video site CMS - finding one is a headache...

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Pixelrage, Aug 9, 2007.

I've now spent 2 days searching Google for something that does this:

- Has a "portal" style front page
    - Works exactly like Wordpress
    - Lets you upload videos on a page/post/whatever you want to call it, but that video page also has a Wordpress-ish blog area under it, with tags and a "similar videos/pages", etc. features.

I suppose I'm looking for something that is a synergy between Wordpress and YouTube. What I don't want is a "break.com" clone - it has to have that Wordpress blog look & feel functionality, with the tags, definable URLs and all of those other good things.

I'm sure most people immediately though "why don't you just use Wordpress and try the video plugin?" I did, and Wordpress is just too limited if you want to turn it into a CMS. I don't have time for code hacking, or figuring out complex things. Even if I set a custom home page, it still won't be dynamic, and there obviously wont be "modules" that I can add and remove like I could on a CMS. It's unfortunate, since Wordpress is *so* close to what I really need. There is also something similar for Dupral, but it is not what I'm looking for.

So far, my #1 pick is NetArtMedia's "Vlog System". It appears to have a lot of the stuff I'm looking for, but it's severely lacking in video details (no # of views, add to favorites, star rating, sharing URL, etc). If anyone has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated. I'm shocked that there isn't really such a thing out there :(

Pixelrage, Aug 9, 2007 IP
  2. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    At one time I was looking to do something similar. I tried out some Wordpress plugins for rating videos that I displayed. I quickly discovered (I get more than two thousand visits a day at my site), that no one really spends much time rating - unless the topic is politics. So I never pursued the idea.

Rich

richrf, Aug 9, 2007 IP
  3. longhornfreak

longhornfreak Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have had trouble finding a good cms too. I think I am just going to go with one of those youtube clones though, that seems like the best way.

longhornfreak, Aug 9, 2007 IP
  4. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    I made the decision not to try to compete against YouTube, MetaCafe, MegaVideo and all of the others. They are just too big and are willing to lose thousands of dollars a day (by providing bandwidth), just to build an audience. So I need a social networking environment that will live alongside them, not compete against. Still looking.

Rich

richrf, Aug 9, 2007 IP
  5. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a very narrow niche for videos, and they all have to be uploaded by admins only..that basically makes those "community upload" CMS's worthless to me. This is a real problem now...

Pixelrage, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  6. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I am in a similar situation. Unfortunately, most scripts do not enable building "niches", but are more oriented toward building "clones". Usually a clone does not have much value but building "niches" does. So I, as well as you, are in the same boat.

Rich

richrf, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  7. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm now looking at Entertainmentscript's Social Media. It looks promising, but from some of the things I've read, skinning it is difficult to do. Also, it doesnt integrate with vbulletin, which is a huge minus. It seems like you can't get everything....

I'm even willing to spend $1k, if need be...

Pixelrage, Aug 10, 2007 IP