1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Success with social bookmarking seems impossible...

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by fatabbot, Aug 19, 2007.

Hi,

I don't know about you, but when I submit something to Digg or Del.icio.us for example, the story is not noticed by anyone... No matter what I submit. There are so many submissions... It seem to be impossible to get something to the main page on these big social bookmarking sites.
    Is it all about having enough friends who can digg your story enough first, so it gets noted by the big public? Or is there another thing i'm missing here?
    Any advice?

Grtz

fatabbot, Aug 19, 2007 IP
  2. Ponynugget

Ponynugget Peon

Best Answers:
    In my experience your story has to be completely unique and something that will interest the "net savvy" users that Digg attracts. I remember when pictures of the Google office were posted a while back - it was wildly popular and received thousands of Diggs as Google HQ is the equivalent of nerd-heaven (for the lack of a better term. :p)

Ponynugget, Aug 19, 2007 IP
  3. Diep Tran

Diep Tran Peon

Best Answers:
    The key here is going for long tail keywords. You could get easily on page 1 of Google for these less competitive keywords.

If the keywords are too competitive, the article will not get on page 1.

Cheers
    Diep

Diep Tran, Aug 19, 2007 IP
  4. qazu

qazu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Social bookmarking is not just a matter of submitting pages. You need to interact with other users, develop a network of friends, get other people to digg you pages, etc.

qazu, Aug 19, 2007 IP
  5. Diep Tran

Diep Tran Peon

Best Answers:
    It's another way to get traffic. That's sure.

Cheers
    Diep:)

Diep Tran, Aug 19, 2007 IP
  6. matt608@

matt608@ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Its all about who you know and building a network of contacts.

Extra plusses include using pics which go down well on digg, and so do lists, especially 'top 7' lists. The headline is the most important thing. Try to imagine if it would look strange if your story made it to page1.

matt608@, Aug 19, 2007 IP
  7. zorde

zorde Peon

Best Answers:
    If thats the case, why is it not OK to set up a Digg exchange?

Seriously I see a big flaw in the social bookmarking model when it comes to getting your stuff seen.

You digg your article then you wait.
    Nothing happens because no one knows it's there and digg.comis not going to list it high in any searches or ranks because no body except you have dugg it.

this is the same with YouTube.

So you go on your quest to drive traffic to the dugg article or YouTube video to try to get them to rank it.

A big waste of time? maybe you could be spending your effort driving traffic to your own website which the article is probably promoting in the first place.

I am not convinced it is an effective use of time.

The social networks are designed to allow it's members to share and review each others stuff. But as more an more people try to take advantage of the traffic the sites get, the less and less value the site have to the members.

zorde, Aug 19, 2007 IP
  8. wyattt

wyattt Active Member

Best Answers:
    You pretty much need friends or someone who has a lot of friends to get your stories to the front page of Digg. Get a top Digger to submit your interesting story and you're gold.

wyattt, Aug 19, 2007 IP
  9. qazu

qazu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You seem to have answered your own question. It's not as effective becuase of digg exchanges; because more and more people try to take advantage of social bookmarking sites for traffic.

Because of this it is much harder to get traffic from digg and you have to put much more effort into it.

qazu, Aug 21, 2007 IP