1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Question about mail forwarding/po boxes /fedex/ups/SHIPPING

Discussion in 'General Business' started by pifko, Sep 23, 2007.

ok, I have a question involving shipping, po boxes, and a bunch of other stuff.

I know this guy online, and he wants to ship stuff to my dorm, then I ship it to him. He will pay me a big amount for every package I forward to him. Its kind of obvious the real reason hes doing this, but he hasnt directly stated it. ANYBODY can send you ANYTHING in the mail, in this case I wont even had ordered the stuff/truthfully know wtf hes ordering, so im pretty safe.

I dont want all this shipped to my dorm though, roomates would get suspicous.

Anyways, here is my questions:

-When you get PO boxes, can fedex/ups/dhl ship to them? I have heard various people say yes or no.
    -at here you can get a address at the UPS, (it get shipped to UPS then you pick it up later), what are the fees on this?
    -are the package forwarding services you see online worth ti? are they legit? places like http://www.mailforwarding.biz/

What is your advice on this? Please dont just say "dont do it you will get screwed over".

pifko, Sep 23, 2007 IP
  2. thewird

thewird Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't do it you will get screwed over. That is the only real response to give you. You will not get paid. Unless you have cold hard cash in your hands (check for fake bills), not a check, not a money order, cash only.

Either way though your gonna get in deep legal trouble for aiding in a criminal act. If the box isn't for you, you either hold on to it until asked to return it or you Return to Sender.

So to put it simply "dont do it you will get screwed over".

thewird

thewird, Sep 24, 2007 IP
  3. Hannah

Hannah Guest

Best Answers:
    Basically what thewird said. There's no way it's legal (people have been jailed for it before) and you will get scammed.

Hannah, Sep 24, 2007 IP
  4. pifko

pifko Active Member

Best Answers:
    no but the boxes will be shipped to me in my name... then he will send me egold, then I ship him out the boxes

what do you think? Im not the one actually ordering the boxes, i cant get in trouble for the boxes just coming to me and me not ordering them, anyone can send you anything in the mail

pifko, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  5. thewird

thewird Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, but when you get boxes that aren't yours you Return to Sender, not send somewhere else. Yes, you can get in trouble for aiding in credit card fraud.

thewird

thewird, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  6. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, you did say the boxes would be shipped to you in your name. In which case, you would most likely be deemed as the one the packages are for.

Is there a reason why he cannot have the package shipped directly to him because it would be cheaper that way since he needs to only incur one shipping charges and he would get it a lot faster.

It does look like he is trying to throw the trail off the goods and pin the responsibility to you if you are caught.

The thing is that if they are things he ordered, it would have shipping documents and invoices with your name on it. It is not like someone shipped something to you by mistake.

Whatever it is, you decide. In the end, you will be the one who would be responsible for the deal.

eddy2099, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  7. Immo

Immo Peon

Best Answers:
    I quite agree that Viaddress.com at http://www.viaddress.com offers the lowest shipping rates to forward packages from the US to other countries. Anyone can do a comparison of the shipping rates and find out that Viaddress is the best option if you’re planning to shop from US merchants.

The fact that they don’t have a Setup fee or a monthly membership fee, had convinced me to use them for my last purchase from the states, and I’m quite satisfied with the speed of the processing of my packages.

I decided to follow them on twitter at http://twitter.com/viaddress and I got hold of some pretty generous coupons that I used to get some pretty darn good discounts.

Immo, Feb 18, 2010 IP
  8. tech_savvy

tech_savvy Peon

Best Answers:
    every one of the method you mention for receipt of packages etc are safe and legit. but the fact is you are being involved in something illegit. so why are you concerned if the mail forwarder etc are legit or otherwise? you as it say u stand to loose nuthin. err maybe except freedom someday!

tech_savvy, Feb 18, 2010 IP
  9. mhovingh

mhovingh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I spent the last 10 minutes writing up some info for your from my experiences with shipping packages to both the UPS store and with PO Boxes. I just deleted it all when I finally woke up and realized that I was just going to be providing help to someone who knows they are assisting someone who is involved in credit card fraud.

You might make $5-10 for a package that contains an item that costs the company sending it hundreds... how can that not bug you? Don't worry about the company though. They aren't getting hurt as long as they have the sense to do what every other company does... raise prices to compensate for losses to fraud. Your fellow DP'ers who are consumers are the ones paying for the fraud whenever they go to buy something online. You have some balls asking for help with something that hurts everyone here. I hope the law does look to you for prosecution because while stupidity would be forgivable, you are knowingly getting involved for a few extra dollars in your pocket. I hope someone with some admin power here at DP reads your post and sees fit to remove you from this site also.

The recipient likely resides outside the US. Many companies are wary of shipping physical goods outside of the US/Canada (some won't even ship outside the 48). If the mailing address is Nigeria, Ghana, or another known scammer hub, a big red flag goes up at the company. If the mailing address is a US residence, it is alot harder to spot a problem. Many people gift packages and to turn away all business where a mailing address doesn't match a billing would mean alot less in sales for many companies.

The person who is paying the company for the item wants it shipped to a US address to avoid suspicion. Once the package arrives at our original poster, he sends it off to Nigeria, Ghana, or wherever, and the package can get lost in the shipping system, or disappear right off the plane before it is processed, at its destination country. Some even have packages shipped to neighboring countries and go pick them up across a border so there is one more government to get through if any authorities want to actually try tracing it down.

EIDT: I just realized how old the original post was and just wanted to say that I hope pifko decided to step back from this. For anyone else looking to try something like this, you can get in trouble and don't think that the only thing getting hurt is a big credit card company or some huge business like Amazon... they are not the ones paying the cost that the fraud incurs.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
    mhovingh, Feb 18, 2010 IP
  10. zodiac

zodiac Peon

Best Answers:
    this thread is 878 days old. :rolleyes:

zodiac, Feb 18, 2010 IP
  11. Xperiment

Xperiment Peon

Best Answers:
    After spending a few hours comparing the shipping rates for all the package forwarding companies mentioned in this forum and other forums on the web, I found out that Viaddress.com at http://www.viaddress.com offers the lowest shipping rates according to the shipping calculators on all those sites.

Their Package forwarding service is actually FREE !, with NO set up fees and NO monthly membership fees and they also offer FREE Concierge Service!!! While other companies charge you 5% to 15% commission fee. It also says on their website http://www.viaddress.com that they have the biggest Personal shopper service on Ebay.com in the US.

Well… All of these good points convinced me to try them… and I’m glad I did...

I have used them to shop from Ebay in the US and on other couple of US sites that didn't ship outside the US and I was able to save a lot on shipping by combining all my boxes in one large box for FREE! You can do this by using the package consolidation tool in your account area on Viaddress.com.

Xperiment, Feb 18, 2010 IP