1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Content Management

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Visual Realm, Sep 26, 2007.

?

What is the best?

1. Joomla

33.3%
  2. Drupal

16.7%
  3. Wordpress

50.0%
  4. Xoop

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
    Ok. So after looking at all the post in the CMS section everyone believes that there program works best. It seems to be a split decision for joomla, drupal, or wordpress. Everyone says yeah go try it out but there is no joomla for dummies or any of that. I would love to be directed to a site that explains everything. I mean everything. There seems to be no beginning tutorials on how to get everything working correctly on your local machine first.

Basically what im asking is someone to point me in the direction for extreme beginners. I just need something simple so that i can set it up so clients can update their own 6 page site. I dont need some huge program that you can make Ebay with.

Somebody Help me.

Visual Realm, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  2. frankcow

frankcow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If it's only 6 pages use WordPress, but Joomla is still the best CMS

frankcow, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  3. Colbyt

Colbyt Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What do you want them to be able to update?

If it is just some simple text now and then why not make them a static php based site where the text is pulled from simple text files and formated via css.

If they change the text file then they change the content.

Colbyt, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  4. Visual Realm

Visual Realm Peon

Best Answers:
    Colbyt can you point me to a site that would explain how to do what you are talking about. I only know a tiny bit of asp but i am in the processs of learning php. I think what you speak of is what i have been looking for all along. Also if you know where i can find a good place to learn password protected pages that would be awesome. Thanks guys for posting.

Visual Realm, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  5. Colbyt

Colbyt Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well you don't need to know much php to do what I mentioned. You just need to understand and be able to use the <?php include ("thistextfile.txt") ?> function.

All of the content that is in 10 point type on the main page of ihosto.com is an included text file. The privacy policy, TOS and submission guidelines are done the same way. A text file is included into a template. This entire site uses no database. There is some detailed scripting because it is a directory script. A normal site would be much simpler.

What type of password protection do you need?

Colbyt, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  6. Visual Realm

Visual Realm Peon

Best Answers:
    For example a capital corporation needs a site but only needs one page to be protected by a password for the general public can not see the info. I have done simple passwords before but if they look at the source code they can see the password and username.

Visual Realm, Sep 28, 2007 IP
  7. Colbyt

Colbyt Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Not if you use php. You can see the html output of a page but you can not see the scripting. Is this some really sensitive or just moderately so?

Did you get my PM?

Colbyt, Sep 28, 2007 IP
  8. blade007

blade007 Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't be using wordpress for a fairly big site.

Wordpress is great for smaller sites, perhaps up to 10 pages, but it has strong SEO - built in blog, RSS, and is easy to manage. The templating system is also easy to understand and to wrap a diffferent one around is fairly straightforward.

I'd be using Joomla or Drupal for bigger stuff.

blade007, Sep 29, 2007 IP
  9. arwen54

arwen54 Active Member

Best Answers:
    that's incorrect...

you can have as big of a site as you want to with WordPress...my site (see first sig link) is certainly bigger than 6 pages and I'm using WordPress along with some really good plugins.

arwen54, Oct 1, 2007 IP
  10. maroon_cool

maroon_cool Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes...Joomla rocks there are plenty of extensions available

maroon_cool, Oct 1, 2007 IP