1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

StumbleUpon vs. Digg vs. Google Organic

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by zeropaid, Sep 26, 2007.

From my blog:

So I was stumbling along when I was supposed to be working as usual when I stumbled on this article about getting stumbled. Whatever, I give a lot of seo/webmaster/affiliate stuff the thumbs up so that makes sense. But wait! I stumbled back into my memory (yeah I know, but its funny to me) and remembered this SU vs fark shoemoney article that I stumbled on a few days ago. Must have worked well for shoe cuz he followed it up with the oh-so-classic digg vs SU post the next day. Seems to me that Stumblers like stumbling on stories about StumbleUpon!

Zeropaid gets a lot of traffic from StumbleUpon, and we are featured on the front page of digg about once a week on average. Here are the main differences between Digg traffic and SU traffic:

I get about 3 times as many visitors from digg as I do from SU

Digg users have a bounce rate of 90.27% and SU users have a bounce rate of 31.69%

Digg users spend an average of 28 seconds on the site (we are a tech news site, I'm guessing all they need is the first paragraph?), and SU users spend on average 5 times that

Neither of them are all that good for making adsense revenue

The lion's share of Google Adsense clicks come from visitors that get to our site from.... Google Search. This is the real beauty of SEO, the holy grail of leisure income: get users from Google, send them out through Google and every once in a while check your bank account. Great in theory, but harder than it sounds. So why bother with Digg or SU? Well, I like traffic. :) All kinds of traffic, I don't discriminate!

Real reason? People blog. And link. And what do they blog and link? The things they see every day, on their favorite news site or through their favorite website discovery toolbar. So get stumbling!

zeropaid, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  2. Kai2810

Kai2810 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yep...agree with you zero.

I haven't got significant traffic from Digg yet, but there was once my blog got a spike of 180 visitors and another of 100 visitors from a daily average of 20 per day.

All from Stumbleupon, and the bounce rate is good too! around 50% for mine.

So yeah...use Stumbleupon!

Kai2810, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  3. Mibs

Mibs Member

Best Answers:
    I agree... organic google is my best converter for traffic although 'direct' is my biggest earner. Where does that come from anyways.

I find SU to be best for sustained traffic, I think i dropped $25 on their stumble program a few weeks again have gotten about 1000 visits a day since.

Digg is more of a flash and then nothing. I've gotten over 30k visits in one day from Digg a few times. Sure they dont convert well at all, but will all that traffic I still made $1000 a day for a few days. They still trickle in from http://digg.com/all/popular/365days/

I will say tho that yahoo organic converts better than google organic.

Mibs, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  4. Kai2810

Kai2810 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Stumble Program? :confused:

Mibs...you mind if you elaborate on this? Never heard of Stumble having a paid service before...

Kai2810, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  5. tushardhoot1

tushardhoot1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yea, digg is probably more traffic than SU if you hit the homepage, but SU is targetted traffic so you can't really argue with that.

tushardhoot1, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  6. delrivo

delrivo Guest

Best Answers:
    I get 95% of my traffic from search engines.

delrivo, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  7. live-cms_com

live-cms_com Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    As you said, organic is my favorite. I've had some success with SU but none with Digg.

live-cms_com, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  8. BrianneLtd

BrianneLtd Banned

Best Answers:
    BrianneLtd, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  9. Ratman2050

Ratman2050 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Care to explain? :rolleyes:

Ratman2050, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  10. zeropaid

zeropaid Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    http://www.stumbleupon.com/ads/

zeropaid, Sep 28, 2007 IP
  11. surf4fun

surf4fun Peon

Best Answers:
    are u stuff of google search??

if google do not give importance to new website and webmasters..
    and i cannot search in google what is the new website came on web about online dating or bla bla.. i will say everybody will forget google by the end of 2010.

web 2.0 is the way to go..
    but as they are in early stages..
    there voting system and stumbling system is whole shit of crap..

what we missed on google search engine is..

say i want to see a site with keyword internet marketing

but i want to see what site just indexed by google today or 1 hour ago or 7 days ago.. or this month or in past 3 month.. and which of these site is getting maximum hits from google..(where is the buzz/what is hot)

i can sorta do with google blog search..

but cannot do with google search.. (very funny google)

I even cant rate googles indexed sites.. nor can say google this is a pure scam.. dont put it on number 1 just because it have 50 k back links.. and dont scam 50k ppls like me by ranking it number 1 to 5.. google robots we are human.. and we like to rate..

just because a site have 50 k backlinks and backlinks from potensial site.. doesnt means it has to be number 1 to 5 in google..

google robots should change to web 2.0.. otherwise they wont exist by 2010..

surf4fun, Sep 29, 2007 IP
  12. live-cms_com

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I prefer the automated algorithm based rankings. Not sure which the majority of the population would prefer.

live-cms_com, Sep 29, 2007 IP
  13. Solid_Nuts

Solid_Nuts Active Member

Best Answers:
    i experienced exactly the same! i got 1200 from SU bounce rate 31% while Digg gave me 256 with 75% bounce rate at the end of the day none made any real money,

Solid_Nuts, Sep 29, 2007 IP
  14. writingman1421

writingman1421 Active Member

Best Answers:
    So, are you guys getting natural stumbleupons and diggs or are you paying someone to stumble and digg your sites?

Natural would be great, but I think paying for a service might be easier. I have been hearing such good things about SU and digg that i just have to get involved.

writingman1421, Sep 29, 2007 IP
  15. live-cms_com

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The only good think is the huge amount, it doesn't convert well or anything.

live-cms_com, Sep 29, 2007 IP
  16. zeropaid

zeropaid Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sure we submit some of our pages, but really the key to it is to understand that digg and stumbleupon work because their basic premise is sound, that people will digg up or thumbs up content they like. Just make quality content people want to read and they will digg it or stumble it.

zeropaid, Sep 29, 2007 IP