1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Forum Software

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by scifin, Oct 9, 2007.

Hi
    I am looking for some software for a forum, but I need one fairly important feature.
    I need the forum software to inherit login credentials from a current bespoke site.
    The current site has its own login and member profiles, but I need the forum to dynamically take the login credentials and allow members of the main site to use the forum.

I don't want users to have to sign up or login to 2 different sites. Just sign up with the main site, then have access to post to the forum.

Thank you in advance

scifin, Oct 9, 2007 IP
  2. LinkBliss

LinkBliss Peon

Best Answers:
    What is the bespoke site? There is some integration work already done of popular package say vBulletin and MediaWiki etc. but you're probably looking at custom development.

That said I think Quezza is probably the most popular and I think everyone in here will agree. Just kidding. But take a look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Internet_forum_software_(PHP)

I would recommend one of the commercial options so you can get support and developers for your integration work, maybe vBulletin is OK.

Eric

LinkBliss, Oct 9, 2007 IP
  3. Lhlalyam

Lhlalyam Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Lhlalyam, Oct 9, 2007 IP
  4. scifin

scifin Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for this.
    I was thinking it might be a 2 horse race - vbulitin and phpbb, not looked at Simple Machine.
    Was hoping that there might be a simple CMS bridge tutorial - if anyne knows of any....

http://www.simplemachines.org/download/?bridges - loads of examples of bridges - I may be able to adapt if nessasary - atleast see the logic that I need to employ.

The info I am looking to share is mearly username and password, I am sure it will not be too difficult to get the user to automatically login.

Now I know the term to search for (bridge) this will help.

Any more suggestions of powerful, robust and simple forum platforms would be great

scifin, Oct 9, 2007 IP
  5. LinkBliss

LinkBliss Peon

Best Answers:
    I have not been too happy with SMF.. I switched to it from phpBB - I had been running phpBB for years.

However it got hacked and I don't like the upgrade process - it seemed every time I had to reapply all the mods.

vBulletin rocks by the way. That's all I will ever use from now on. I figure if a forum is worth setting up and for me to try to promote and build, it is worth the cost of the vBulletin license for sure.

Eric

LinkBliss, Oct 9, 2007 IP
  6. ablaye

ablaye Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    vBulletin is the way to go.
    You can always find a freelance programmer willing to code the bridge for you.

ablaye, Oct 9, 2007 IP