1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which is the best freelancer site?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by KeyboardHustler, Oct 19, 2007.

Which is the best freelancer site?

KeyboardHustler, Oct 19, 2007 IP
  2. gdibusiness

gdibusiness Banned

Best Answers:
    for me scriptlance is the best. :)

gdibusiness, Oct 19, 2007 IP
  3. xohaib

xohaib Peon

Best Answers:
    xohaib, Oct 19, 2007 IP
  4. KeyboardHustler

KeyboardHustler Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks! Using scriptlance

KeyboardHustler, Oct 19, 2007 IP
  5. Grumps

Grumps Peon

Best Answers:
    elance is the professional choice. Everywhere else is like a market flooded with Indian freelancer.

Grumps, Oct 20, 2007 IP
  6. himanuzo

himanuzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    himanuzo, Oct 20, 2007 IP
  7. story97

story97 Peon

Best Answers:
    I've used scriptlance and getafreelancer and from 4 attempts i got 100% junk which is what I figured.

Take any code you get from those junk sites to a real programmer and let him give you an honest opinion.

an entry level programmer can do better than most of the shit you get there. and the guy I used on scriptlance had the highest rating in the entire site. His code was absolute junk. but the hope is you won't have any knowledge and take the work by what it looks like on the page. Unfortunately it's awful programming.

I did this as a test to supplement my work. I needed some help because I didn't have time to do all the code work for my site. So I contracted it out. small chunks to see what I'd get back.

I did better programming code when I had 2 months experience than the garbage i got there (both places)

You get what you pay for. if you want to pay 10 cents an hour, hire nothing but programmers from 3rd world countries that produce garbage code, use those free lance sites. If you want your shit to work? hire a programmer.

You dont hire those guys standing outside at home depot to design your house do you? then don't use these hacks as real programmers.

And don't kid yourself by these 'use these guys, the others are all blah blah bla'. They are the SAME people at all these sites. they have accounts at every one of them.

story97, Oct 20, 2007 IP
  8. ringtonegeezer

ringtonegeezer Peon

Best Answers:
    So is it possible to tell us where to go o the net to find thes good programmer guys?

ringtonegeezer, Oct 20, 2007 IP
  9. marktravellinks

marktravellinks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am with Getafreelancer from the last 2 years but seeing many persons looking to done all of their work in $30-$100 projects! story97 - wrote good about freelance market but I have seen many person pretty happy with the freelancers over getafreelancer or othe freelance sites as they can't afford the full time programmers...

These freelance sites are a great platform of person unable to attend full time offices or looking for some extra money out of their full time jobs. So, there is a lot of possibility where the person hired the guy dissappoint with the results. Some of the guys aren't professionally qualified and work on their abnormal schedules (when they time)...

This is fact the some of the guys bid without reading and understand the requirement of the person and most probably are the bad ones who destroy the image of Pakistanis, Indians and Third World Freelancers! For Example: See this project

marktravellinks, Oct 20, 2007 IP
  10. story97

story97 Peon

Best Answers:
    Unfortunately no I don't know the question to that answer. Regular avenues. but I know that above and beyond all I recommend never, under any circumstances even attempt to use these freelancing sites unless you honestly don't care if you get garbage code in return that is first and foremost not secure in the slightest.

It really depends what you're looking for. if you want a 30 dollar program you can go to the freelancer sites and spend 100 to get it. That's not a problem. but if you want any quality work done you'll need to find a real programmer.

I'm sure there are forums that have good ones, and plenty of real sites that have them, but what you're going to find mostly is some hacked together, stolen shards of many different projects kludged together.

The problem is they don't expect that anyone using them will know anything about programming. I was about 90% sure I'd get junk, but I figured it was worth a few hundred bucks to test this. If I was wrong, GREAT! i just saved a mint! i can hire these guys to do the mundane, repetitive and junior level stuff that I need to put my project together. I'll handle the core and the security. But if I'm right? i spent a few hundred bucks to save me thousands on a real project I might have screwed up on by using them.

Trust me, I wasn't out to show this was junk, I was out hoping there might be a place to get simple coding done for a cheap price. But as you know, if it sounds too good to be true, it is.

Go start a project on ANY of those sites. Tell them you want a duplicate of youtube, or myspace. You'll get tons of responses for 2 to 500 bucks.

Further, they have NO problem using stolen code, and copyrighted graffics.

Go there and find a programmer in the U.S. See what you find. If they charge pennies, that's exactly what their software is worth

story97, Oct 20, 2007 IP
  11. Barefootsies

Barefootsies Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO true

Barefootsies, Oct 21, 2007 IP
  12. Barefootsies

Barefootsies Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have had decent results with RENTACODER.COM but let me preface this to be fair.

For the past few years when I needed a coder, I would get recommendations from the webmaster boards. I would not just hire those who could make me a site for a dime. I wanted those who came with references. So I would contract out my work to these people that would get rave reviews.

But just like time before, you would get hit n miss on the work. The last one I had before I went to RENTACODER.COM took a 50% deposit and then vanished. Kept giving me all of the designer classics... "I'm working on it. Almost there. Any day now. My internet was down. My Mac blew up." and so forth. Then just all out vanished. I am now sueing him, and referred him to the credit bureaus to remind him he owes me money. Heh. So much for buying that house next year.

But before him, I had mixed results from these so-called 'highly recommended' coders and designers. I do not always go for the cheapest. I go for those with nice portfolios, and who know what they are talking about, as well as have references. Even THEN you do not always get a good one.

When I want a designer, I want someone who can do the task and write good code first. Second, someone who can finish ON TIME. That means they give realistic due dates, and can meet them. Third, they give status reports. Fourth, they can be reached by messenger to work out details. Five, they must SPEAK ENGLISH. That is a good start.

/end rant

Now, the reason I like RENTACODER. If I am not satisfied, I can arbitrate their work, and get my money back. If they do not meet my, or the agreed upon deadline, I get my money back. They are ranked, so when they do not turn in their status reports, etc. They get nailed on their ranking and score.

Long story short. If I am not happy with their work, I do not pay. The escrowed money is returned, and I can hire someone else. This alone after being ripped off is one of the biggest advantages to RENTACODER. I can't speak to the others mentioned as I have not used them.

But on a last note.. What has been mentioned about some of the $5 programmers on these sites is true. You will get bids from $5-3000 or whatever depending on the project.

For the mundane simple things, it can be advantageous to grab a cheapskate. But when looking for quality work, you will want to pick someone much higher up the rung. Preferably someone with a lot of rankings, and feedback comments who has been around a year or more.

It's not an easy process by any means. While you can occasionally find a freelancer who does good work. You may run into the 'designer classics' with a lot of them. They all have big families apparently, or the most miraculous grandma ever. Some of them die 2 and 3 times.

:-/

Good luck.

Barefootsies, Oct 21, 2007 IP
  13. rewindd

rewindd Guest

Best Answers:
    My favorite has to be scriptlance.com or getafreelancer.com

rewindd, Oct 21, 2007 IP
  14. KeyboardHustler

KeyboardHustler Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

i used scriptlance and it turned out bad.

I got a coder that didnt have the knowledge of php. So he tryed but failed.

But after all he was polite :)

KeyboardHustler, Oct 21, 2007 IP
  15. amf-flt

amf-flt Active Member

Best Answers:
    The bidding sites ALL stink. Every one of them. The biggest problem is that they leave the project management to the client, who is probably the least capable of doing project management with a techie in another timezone who likely speaks another language.

I've found that clients are happier when they deal with local freelancers who are easily accessible when business problems pop up (and they ALWAYS pop up).

amf-flt, Oct 25, 2007 IP
  16. viperxx

viperxx Peon

Best Answers:
    viperxx, Oct 25, 2007 IP
  17. eruct

eruct Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    eruct, Oct 26, 2007 IP
  18. Amrendra

Amrendra Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    1. Elance
    2. Guru
    3. GetaFreelance
    4. Scriptlance
    5. getaCoder

Amrendra, Oct 26, 2007 IP
  19. solar44

solar44 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A good freelance resource is freelanceswitch.com, I visit it daily.

solar44, Oct 26, 2007 IP
  20. bryon844

bryon844 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi!
    I am a freelancer..and I'm most impressed with kasamba.com. I have not had any work through any of them...but I have not really tried hard yet.

I am trying now..so we will see.

Ah! Trusting reviews. Bad move. Many positive reviews are paid for..I've seen it time and time again. I think the very worst any freelancer can do is to claim to be good at everything. NOBODY is good at everything, folks.

Ask questions. I would put 1)time/priority and task managements skills far ahead of any talent in any selected skill set...if I was hiring someone.

Bryon

bryon844, Oct 27, 2007 IP