1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Social networking script

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by superrichguy, Nov 12, 2007.

I know i know its been posted a million times. I did a search but all seem to be older posts.
    I was wondering if there was a great script that is fairly easy to modify or I can find people to modify it. I have a ton of ideas that need to be intergrated into a site...Is this possible to do with a free script or even a paid script? Throw out all the sites you can, and your experiences.
    Also what kinda sites use the least resources, i plan on it being a large nich community that I dont see out there yet. I just wanna plan ahead, not sayin its gonna jump right off....
    Anything i should look out for? Do any of you run any large sites like myspace? How many members and do you have any problems??
    Thanks
    Jason

Sorry i just noticed i posted in the wrong section, i meant to post under scripts..can this be moved???
    thanks again

superrichguy, Nov 12, 2007 IP
  2. mindiam1

mindiam1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes it has been posted a billion times, but you should check out dolphin by boonex. It is a great script.

mindiam1, Nov 12, 2007 IP
  3. superrichguy

superrichguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have seen that one, but my main question would probably be, can it be modified easily? Like would someone be able to change the layout or would it take a ton of work?

superrichguy, Nov 12, 2007 IP
  4. youtubelesbo

youtubelesbo Peon

Best Answers:
    youtubelesbo, Nov 13, 2007 IP
  5. asterix

asterix Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    asterix, Nov 13, 2007 IP
  6. bobchrist

bobchrist Active Member

Best Answers:
    bobchrist, Nov 13, 2007 IP
  7. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    unfortunately, everyone will always have their own strong opinion about this question. Personally I don't think there is one worth pursuing yet. All of them have their negative points which are usually overwhelming (coding issues & errors, vulnerabilities, etc). Even the paid ones...

Pixelrage, Nov 13, 2007 IP
  8. TadSenseQ

TadSenseQ Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes. Dolphin is a rocking script!!!

TadSenseQ, Nov 13, 2007 IP
  9. superrichguy

Best Answers:

Which one do you think has the least problems? I am thinking I could hire someone off of DP or another site to fix those problems. I guess I just need a good platform, i dont care what it looks like cause i wanna make it look original..

Thanks for all the other sites, i am checkin out a few. and the 3d one sounds interesting.

superrichguy, Nov 13, 2007 IP
  10. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    Personally I do want to give Dolphin a shot. I'm just really scared off by all of the negative comments I've heard about it - it seems to be overwhelmed with bugs.

11. superrichguy

Best Answers:
    I know, i heard the same things.
    Ok was myspace made from a script? If so which one and during the beggining did it have a lot of negative comments as well? Or was it all too new to tell?

12. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm pretty sure Myspace was custom scripted

13. superrichguy

Best Answers:
    really?? I thought I read it was a script...I prob read wrong then...thanks

14. psychotronic

psychotronic Peon

Best Answers:
    You can do this with Joomla + CommunityBuilder and Joomla is easy to learn i think
    this joomla demo showed how it's works. Just check it out :)

psychotronic, Nov 16, 2007 IP
  15. ascetic

ascetic Peon

Best Answers:
    im not recommending any scripts. always prefer a custom build one such as drupal. but certain circumstances do appear. and when that comes, these ones comes in mind:

- Elgg (Somewhat Great, almost solid, but some doubts in mind concerning its still a not quite mature project comparing to drupal)

- Dolphin (Yeah it has so many copyrighted pages, and you need to pay to remove them and to make it fully functioning you really need to provide some extra fees)

- all other CMS (Almost all CMS are capable to be modded to SN sites, Joomla or even wordpress, but you really need to get your hands dirty on them, and its really time consuming. All worth to try if you have the time and skill)

- For experience purposes only you can try out some services such as NING or collextivex they are great to get you trained well into this business

- just my 2 cents :D

ascetic, Nov 20, 2007 IP
  16. monosodium

monosodium Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    monosodium, Nov 22, 2007 IP
  17. AndrewBo

AndrewBo Peon

Best Answers:
    I (although a developer of a dating script) will always recommend: GO CUSTOM.
    We develop abledating at http://www.abledating.net and have this site also: http://abk-experts.com/
    Here you can order a completely unique solution, not to over-saturate the web with clones of different dating software scripts.
    There is only one piece of advice one can give here: GO CUSTOM!!! Get an open source solution and change it until it is unique. Of cource it is easier to do this when you have a script with a lot of features like abledating from the beginning.

But it can be any other software script. Skadate, Boonex, PHPFox, whatever. But make your homework, imagine what you would like your site to lool like. And answer one simple quiestion: WHY THE USER WILL USE MY SITE AND NOT ALL THE REST?

AndrewBo, Dec 15, 2009 IP