1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can i have two domains with the same content ?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by transcend2005, Dec 7, 2007.

i dont know if this is the right forum to post in, but 'I believe Content Management is the BEST section for this topic', so here it goes :
    Can i have two domains with the same content ?
    for www.mysitename.org and www.mysitename.info for example, can i have the same files ? is this allowed ?

transcend2005, Dec 7, 2007 IP
  2. transcend2005

transcend2005 Peon

Best Answers:
  3. dannet

dannet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can, google will not ban you, only will not give you traffic to one of the websites for duplicate content, but will not ban you, and if it will be a video sharing website, changing some of the website texts you can prevent the duplicate content problem, different page titles, metatag keywords, description, video tags...

Good luck

dannet, Dec 7, 2007 IP
  4. transcend2005

transcend2005 Peon

Best Answers:
    hmmm. thanks a lot.

5. webdev11

webdev11 Peon

Best Answers:
    Better to do a 301 redirect from one domain to the other. It's best not to run more than one domain with the same content.

webdev11, Dec 8, 2007 IP
  6. Michael-Martin

Michael-Martin Peon

Best Answers:
    Why would you want to though? Why not just work on building the site up on one domain?

Michael-Martin, Dec 8, 2007 IP
  7. transcend2005

transcend2005 Peon

Best Answers:
    if from one site i get for example 10 visitors form search engines with 2 sites i get 20 visitors ... check both sites now. what do you think ? will it be a problem for search engines ?

transcend2005, Dec 8, 2007 IP
  8. webdev11

webdev11 Peon

Best Answers:
    For best results, make them either two different Web sites, or do a 301 redirect from one to the other.

webdev11, Dec 8, 2007 IP
  9. transcend2005

transcend2005 Peon

Best Answers:
    have you checked the actual sites ?

transcend2005, Dec 8, 2007 IP
  10. webdev11

webdev11 Peon

Best Answers:
    I looked at them and only one of them is online.

webdev11, Dec 8, 2007 IP
  11. transcend2005

transcend2005 Peon

Best Answers:
    yes i saw that . sorry. try now and let me know. pay close attention to the links urls.dont mind the metas, im still working on those.

transcend2005, Dec 9, 2007 IP
  12. webdev11

webdev11 Peon

Best Answers:
    I recommend not doing that. If you are serious about the Web site and want long term success, I would just develop one of them -- or else make them completely different.

webdev11, Dec 9, 2007 IP
  13. Suri.CMS

Suri.CMS Peon

Best Answers:
    You can. But I don't see any good point in doing that.
    You will be confusing your users by using 2 sites with same content.
    You better have ONLY ONE keeping the long term prospects in mind.

Suri.CMS, Dec 9, 2007 IP
  14. UnknownFury

UnknownFury Peon

Best Answers:
    If i had .com and .co.uk if they forgot which one and typed wrong one it wouldn't matter.

Its probably better to do a 301 re-direct and keep all traffic on one site. That way its easier to track your traffic etc.

UnknownFury, Dec 9, 2007 IP
  15. jjpmarketing

jjpmarketing Peon

Best Answers:
    I think those two domains would be an exception. If you have both .com and .co.uk then one would come up in google's natural resutls for US Traffic, and the other would come up in natural results for Google's UK Based search engine.

But in the end it is still better to either have two entirely different names for the site, as in thisismyvideosite.com and thisismyreallycoolvideosite.com. Then have all of the TLD's you can afford just redirecting to the .com site. That way you get all of the different mis-typings like .net, .co.uk, and .org, etc. forwarding to the .com site and you still have 2 separate sites pulling in traffic even though content is identical.

I would alter the content on both sites so they are not identical in every respect. Change the landing pages for each site so they are different and change the names of the sublinks on the other site so they aren't the same link names.

This way it will get both sites indexed and not be the same content. Another thing to do is change the alt tags and site description and other descriptions to differ it a little from the other site.

jjpmarketing, Dec 9, 2007 IP
  16. transcend2005

transcend2005 Peon

Best Answers:
    ok ... thanks. for another project of mine :
    i have one site : funminigames.net and another funsmallgames.net . on the first one i want to have online flash games and on the second one same layout, but with game downloads instead of online games.
    basically like this example : www.minifun.net is the mother site with online games and www.minifun.net/downloads is the same site, but with downloads. check them . i want to do the same, but instead of www.minifun.net/downloads i will have www.downladssitename.net .
    will that give me an advantage in getting more visitors from search engines etc ?

transcend2005, Dec 9, 2007 IP
  17. jjpmarketing

jjpmarketing Peon

Best Answers:
    Forwarding domains to a sub folder on the mains site would work better for that. Basically just use the different domain names and forward them to the main sites sub folder location. That would be a lot better than having a domain.com/subfolder url. As long as you do on page SEO for those different areas on the site you will still get the traffic you are looking for.

A lot of sites do branding domains. Basically they have their main brand, like "company" located at company.com as the about us type of site, listing their products and everything like that. Then they have other sites like companyproduct1.com as the main site for a specific product.

You could do the same thing. Come up with a brand name and have a main site for that which mentions both the online games and the downloads. Then come up with the 2 separate sites for each product, one being the online and the other being the downloads.

They don't necessarily have to be hosted separately, but more or less used as a shortcut that is easy for visitors to remember to get to the downloads or the online games. Just make sure to keep all 3 sites linking back to each other. This will help the onpage SEO.

jjpmarketing, Dec 9, 2007 IP
  18. transcend2005

transcend2005 Peon

Best Answers:
    i have www.funminigames.net with online games section, videos section and downloads section.
    videos section : www.funminigames.net/videos will also be accessible throught www.interestingvideos.info. is that ok ? or i should host the files from www.funminigames.net/videos on www.interstingvideos.info ?

is it better if , from the main site (funmini...) when i click on videos to access interstingvideos.info but the site should look the same ? i mean intead of having funmini.../videos to have another domain with the files looking the same.

i dont know if i can explain what i'm thinking ... please advice.

transcend2005, Dec 19, 2007 IP