1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Official Facebook Application thread

Discussion in 'General Business' started by benpolska, Nov 23, 2007.

1. benpolska

benpolska Peon

Best Answers:
    i have yet to monitize this app yet i will start the monitization process like i did with my other apps once i receive 10k installs. frogger just launched saturday and will start to expand in december as i will be running a contest all month long and will be giving away some prizes.

all you do it apply for a new facebook api key.

benpolska, Nov 26, 2007 IP
  2. benpolska

benpolska Peon

Best Answers:
    is there anyone else currenting running facebook apps other than myself and seeing some success?

benpolska, Nov 27, 2007 IP
  3. Realdeals228

Realdeals228 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am thinking about getting one. Does anyone my good articles to read about facebook apps and marketing and monitizing them?

Realdeals228, Dec 5, 2007 IP
  4. benpolska

benpolska Peon

Best Answers:
    Realdeals228 here is a nice little article about the facebook economy. let me know what you think.

benpolska, Dec 6, 2007 IP
  5. Professional Dude

Professional Dude Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Okay,, now i have made an application using html only and it can be installed and it works properly,,, but i can't figure out how to put the invitation link for other friends to use this application!!

What would be the php code for friend invitation?

Thanks

Professional Dude, Dec 9, 2007 IP
  6. sp360

sp360 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    doesnt facebook provide info on that?

sp360, Dec 10, 2007 IP
  7. benpolska

benpolska Peon

Best Answers:
    yes you need to go to the facebook developers board. everything is more or les answered there.

benpolska, Dec 10, 2007 IP
  8. JP Sauve

JP Sauve Guest

Best Answers:
    We've helped a number of Facebook pubs monetize their apps. If you're a MB affiliate, you should have a chat with your affiliate manager.

JP Sauve, Dec 11, 2007 IP
  9. Kwaku

Kwaku Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I built and run a number of Facebook apps and I made a bunch of that for clients. Monetizing is difficult; I make money with my own , but really not much, even though I total (all apps) over 28.000 users and thousands of daily users.

More money I make programming FB apps; because we are really fast in building them we can do a short time to market for companies. But still I hope to make $ with the apps themselves.

Kwaku, Dec 11, 2007 IP
  10. AstarothSolutions

AstarothSolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, they are easy to build. The first app I built (rather than my company) took about two weeks. After that it is only a couple of days as they almost all use the same look and feel as to fit the feel of FB and many of the core elements can easily be reused between apps.

My own app is slow to take off but then i dont have any time to do the basic promotion. The two built for friends/ clients are doing better.

There are lots of claims on FB of people getting 100k+ users within days of launch... do people believe this (with their claim of no paid users etc) or think they are talking out their arse?

AstarothSolutions, Dec 11, 2007 IP
  11. Kwaku

Kwaku Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    With 'fast', I didn't mean easy; we have an FB team of 3 experienced programmers, 2 testers, a designer and a HTML guy; they make apps fast, but those apps are really specialized and sometimes quite complex (mostly integrated with company back-ends).

About the user-uptake; there is some arse-talking there for sure; less than 600 of > 10.000 apps have more than 100k users. If you are successful you will be doing that, but if you have 100.000 in a few days, you'll be rich fast. So I don't think it is true that many people achieve that.

We are bringing a lot of apps to FB and looking for more ideas (so PM if you have any and we'll do a JV/share), but, even though we have fast growth, it is no-where as fast as some people claim they have. Ofcourse there are folk that really do that, but those apps get famous very fast and they are not 'casual' developers usually.

Kwaku, Dec 11, 2007 IP
  12. AstarothSolutions

AstarothSolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    To qualify what I mean by fast, I was referring to the FB integration, certainly if you have a complex mainframe back end to integrate with then it will take time to develop but that is that aspect rather than the FB element that is taking the time - and lets admit it, 99.9% of FB apps arent integrating with complex commercial back end systems.

AstarothSolutions, Dec 11, 2007 IP
  13. Kwaku

Kwaku Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Yeah ; almost all is crap. But I think, to make money on FB (and this goes for the rest of the web too :), you need a business to connect to which actually makes money. Just putting CPC, CPM, CPL ads on it makes some $. If you do millions of members then it'll make you a lot, but with < 1.000.000 users you need a serious back-end company and business plan to add to it. I think 99.9% of FB apps don't make a profit at all.

Kwaku, Dec 11, 2007 IP
  14. the_j0ker

the_j0ker Peon

Best Answers:
    the_j0ker, Dec 12, 2007 IP
  15. benpolska

benpolska Peon

Best Answers:
    benpolska, Dec 12, 2007 IP
  16. AstarothSolutions

AstarothSolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    Ahhh, that bit is always the challenge (and what I dont have time for).... thankfully our next one to go live (http://apps.facebook.com/hesaysshesays) is for an existing business and the promotion aspect is down to them though as we developed it on a split upfront and revenue share basis it is in our interests for it to do well

AstarothSolutions, Dec 13, 2007 IP
  17. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    When you talk about the "HUGE" traffic you get from these applications, I might as well ask................

From your 8 applications how many unique visitors do you estimate that you are getting?

Laceygirl, Dec 13, 2007 IP
  18. the_j0ker

the_j0ker Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks. The "Hot Deals" app was just for testing and learning.

As for the "Battles" app, it's mostly viral. I invited all my friends and it grew from there. I could really improve the news feed items and more aggressively promote the friend invitation, but I don't really have time. I have other projects.

If anyone is interested in buying the app as-is, let me know. ;)

the_j0ker, Dec 13, 2007 IP
  19. benpolska

benpolska Peon

Best Answers:
    i get about 3k+ uniques per app per day.

benpolska, Dec 14, 2007 IP
  20. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Mother of pearls, that's a lot of traffic for one little cheap thingy in facebook, but still most webmaster wouldn't want to fork the high amount it costs to get one made.

Laceygirl, Dec 15, 2007 IP