1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does social bookmarking really provide traffic?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by garyak, Jan 8, 2008.

Hi,
    Does bookmarking really product useful traffic to your site or is the traffic (if any) composed mostly of window shoppers and browsers so to speak?
    Is it a liable option for traffic or is it's only real use to produce fast one way links back to your site?

garyak, Jan 8, 2008 IP
  2. siflur

siflur Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    If you don't hit the first page, you will only get a few visitors.
    If you do get on the first page, the traffic is almost useless. People will spend 1 - 2 sec on your site. No one clicks...
    But yes, it is an easy way to gain some good backlinks. Which in the long term will bring you good quality traffic...

siflur, Jan 8, 2008 IP
  3. MTbiker

MTbiker Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It can be good or bad, it just depends on your site and the bookmarking site (they're all different.)

For example, an internet business blogger would get useful traffic from Sphinn and pick up new readers, while any Digg traffic will probably bounce right away.

MTbiker, Jan 8, 2008 IP
  4. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    It depends on what your site looks like.

It depends on what your posts look like that you submit.

I have found that most people who say it doesn't work have a shit site and or poor posts.

Perry Rose, Jan 8, 2008 IP
  5. garyak

garyak Peon

Best Answers:
    what about places like big or stumbleupon. I have heard stories about mass amounts of short term traffic from those sites.

garyak, Jan 9, 2008 IP
  6. JohnG

JohnG Peon

Best Answers:
    Most of my quality social traffic comes from stumbleupon and I've got some really good traffic from su.

I'm thankful for all the backlinks with all the other sites.

JohnG, Jan 9, 2008 IP
  7. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    It depends on the site and the bookmarks you're going after, but Yes, it can produce a good deal of traffic.

Brandon Sheley, Jan 9, 2008 IP
  8. shital

shital Active Member

Best Answers:
    it is really true that social networking can help generate traffic or generate leads because it is a marketing technique or a viral marketing that encourages people to pass along the marketing messages through video clips, images, flash games or even text messages. :)

shital, Jan 9, 2008 IP
  9. cdotech

cdotech Banned

Best Answers:
    stumbleupon does.. as for digg, unless you get on front page

cdotech, Jan 9, 2008 IP
  10. cpruitt

cpruitt Active Member

Best Answers:
    Like Perry Rose said above. It all depends on the quality of the site. It is a proven fact that social bookmarking sites draw traffic.

cpruitt, Jan 10, 2008 IP
  11. killer2021

killer2021 Peon

Best Answers:
    it does but from my experience the CTR sucks. Search engine traffic is so much better.

killer2021, Jan 10, 2008 IP
  12. Noddegamra

Noddegamra Peon

Best Answers:
    social bookmarking is a great way to get links to your site. However, spamming these sites with submissions to your own site will result in a ban. Also, people aren't stupid, they will see it and not bother with your links.

However, allowing others to easily submit your pages to these social bookmarking sites will work wonders. If you get loads of "diggs" (for example) it can work in two ways. If your hosting is up to it, you will get great traffic. If you have other great stuff and get dugg again people will begin bookmarking you and visiting your site regularily to see the new content before it hits digg.
    If your hosting sucks and your site goes down people wont bother revisiting or digging. Uptime is important. Dedicated hosing is recommended. Otherwise mirrors will get the bulk of your traffic and your site will be unmemorable.

Noddegamra, Jan 10, 2008 IP
  13. Emperor

Emperor Guest

Best Answers:
    Search Engine traffic is always the best option. Social bookmarking sites can give a sudden burst of traffic but in the end that will disappear. If you manage to get some nice SE traffic your visitors are regular meaning more money :D

Emperor, Jan 10, 2008 IP
  14. jeeta

jeeta Banned

Best Answers:
    yes social bookmarkings do provide some traffic but that traffic is of a low quality and will not improve your earnings in any way. you can utilise that traffic for increased awstats and showing how much traffic your site has. else its all useless

jeeta, Jan 10, 2008 IP
  15. qazu

qazu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes it does, but its not worth the effort IMHO, traffic is poor. I'd use Social Bookmark sites that don't use nofollow for backlinks rather than traffic. But that's just my opinion.

qazu, Jan 10, 2008 IP
  16. Schappster

Schappster Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes and no SU is famous for it's short term traffic

Schappster, Jan 10, 2008 IP
  17. sport302

sport302 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just like "New Coke" social bookmarking will eventually fade away thanks to uncle spam. They simply turn into a bunch of sites that webmasters spam and web surfers ignore.

sport302, Jan 10, 2008 IP
  18. MrMitch

MrMitch Peon

Best Answers:
    I've heard Stumble traffic tends to be higher quality than Digg/Reddit etc, with visitors likely to stay longer and browse deeper. Seems like the main function of social bookmarking is building backlinks.

MrMitch, Jan 10, 2008 IP
  19. geoffr

geoffr Peon

Best Answers:
    There are bookmarking sites like mag.nolia and spurl, and social news sites like Digg or Stumbleupon.

Bookmarking sites will increase your PR from getting backlinks. I suggest using OnlyWire to automatically submit to most of them.

News sites will bring you more traffic, but the visitors are usually fickle. You need to have very good content to achieve a high conversion rate. When I got a huge SU sure, I got 1000 visitors and 50 new RSS subscribers. 0.05 ain't bad.

geoffr, Jan 10, 2008 IP
  20. davewashere

davewashere Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with your analysis of bookmarking sites vs. social news sites in terms of traffic. I would suggest that people stay away from OnlyWire. I used them for a short time, until I realized that it wasn't actually submitting my links like it claimed it was. Perhaps the bookmarking sites have blocked them or something, but nothing I submit from OnlyWire shows up on them. Social Marker is a much slower alternative, as you have to visit each site to submit the information (Social Marker usually prefills the forms so you just have to click the submit button), but at least I know it's working and my links are getting through.

davewashere, Jan 10, 2008 IP