1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google sitelinks: when are they displayed?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by leo, Jan 2, 2008.

From G! Webmaster-Tools I learn that, beginning with dec. 2007, my site has been given a total of 8 sitelinks. However, when doing a search for keywords where my site is shown among the best 10 search result, I haven't seen any sitelinks in connection with my results yet.

Webmaster-Tools' Help indicates that sitelinks will only be displayed if more than 3 or 4 sitelinks at all have been generated. This number is well exceeded in my case.

Does anybody know, when the sitelinks will be displayed?

Tnx in advance & all the best for 2008 to everybody!

leo, Jan 2, 2008 IP
  2. franck~

franck~ Peon

Best Answers:
    I have the same problem: In the Google Webmaster Tools control panel, Under "Current Sitelinks" I have 6 Sitelinks generated, but none of them appears when I do a search for "mydomain.com".

franck~, Jan 15, 2008 IP
  3. WebGodzilla

WebGodzilla Peon

Best Answers:
    Google says:

"If the structure of your site doesn't allow our algorithms to find good sitelinks, or we don't think that the sitelinks for your site are relevant for the user's query, we won't show them."

Source: google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=47334

WebGodzilla, Jan 15, 2008 IP
  4. franck~

franck~ Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the info. That's weird though: If they're not relevant, why are they generated, then?
    I thought that the whole process was automatic: if Sitelinks are generated, they are displayed.

franck~, Jan 15, 2008 IP
  5. leo

leo Peon

Best Answers:
    That puts it into a nutshell: why generating them automatically when they will automatically not be displayed? :confused:

leo, Jan 15, 2008 IP
  6. franck~

franck~ Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess my point was: Why is it generating irrelevant Sitelinks for some websites and not generating Sitelinks at all for some other websites? What's the difference?
    But OK, I understand they are not necessarily displayed even though they have been generated; not sure why, but I get the idea on how it works. ;)

franck~, Jan 15, 2008 IP