1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Illustrator v Photoshop

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by oo7ml, Feb 8, 2008.

Hi, i have been using photoshop for quite some time now and i have recently being looking at some other adobe products.

What is the difference between Illustrator and Photoshop.

What would be the main use for Illustrator. What do people use Iluustrator to create that Photoshop can't do

oo7ml, Feb 8, 2008 IP
  2. WebGeek182

WebGeek182 Active Member

Best Answers:
    They are completely different types of programs. In a nutshell Illustrator is for creating vector graphics (logos, etc) and single page design layouts (posters, etc.) Photoshop is mainly for creating graphics and photo manipulation. Usually you create an image in Photoshop and bring it into Illustrator as a layer of your design. Hope that helps.

WebGeek182, Feb 8, 2008 IP
  3. oo7ml

oo7ml Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ok cool, thanks, so which is best used for creating web graphics

oo7ml, Feb 8, 2008 IP
  4. WebGeek182

WebGeek182 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Usually we create the graphics and the design for the site in Photoshop, then bring them into Fireworks for exporting to jpg/gif. Fireworks has, in my opinion, the best balance between image quality and filesize. Others may disagree and that's valid too.

WebGeek182, Feb 8, 2008 IP
  5. oo7ml

oo7ml Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ok cool, thanks for your help. So if we design in PS, edit in FW, then when do we use illustrator, sorry for all the questions but you seem to know what you are talking about

oo7ml, Feb 8, 2008 IP
  6. reezluv

reezluv Active Member

Best Answers:
    for me AI is the best software to make a cool vector design and its also reliable for flyers,billboard design, logo and others that involve high quality design mostly for print such as flyers,catalogue and others..

for PS that good for photo editing, web graphics and it's involve raster image.People always used PS for photo editing and make cool web graphics for online based environment..

Raster:photoshop
    Vector:AI,Flash

just my 2cents:D

reezluv, Feb 8, 2008 IP
  7. cpufreak3

cpufreak3 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Fireworks is Vector as well, right? You can then export in raster (jpg, etc)

cpufreak3, Feb 8, 2008 IP
  8. earner

earner Peon

Best Answers:
    illustrator is better than photoshop...

earner, Feb 8, 2008 IP
  9. oo7ml

oo7ml Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ok cool, thanks guys

oo7ml, Feb 9, 2008 IP
  10. shahcloud

shahcloud Peon

Best Answers:
    LOL why do u say illustrator is better than photoshop? They are for different things and cannot be compared.

shahcloud, Feb 9, 2008 IP
  11. reezluv

reezluv Active Member

Best Answers:
    yeah..agreed:)

reezluv, Feb 10, 2008 IP
  12. crouchyyy

crouchyyy Banned

Best Answers:
    illustrator is a vector package which mean that is lays out its items using points (rather than pixels) which then gives the shape a smoothed edge and means that it can easily be made larger or smaller without loosing its quality. Where as photoshop is a bitmap programme and lays out its iteams using graphics, however you can create vector graphics in photoshop, but these will not be true vectors because if you still try to make these images larger or smaller then the quality will be reduced.

crouchyyy, Feb 10, 2008 IP
  13. eruct

eruct Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    crouchyyy and others are right.

Illustrator creates all of its shapes with vectors (math) which means they can be infinitely scaled. This is perfect for logo's and type that needs to be printed at a variety of sizes without losing quality.
    If you are looking to get into web work, you really don't need to concern yourself with Illustrator. You should be fine with a good knowledge of Photoshop/ Imageready and if you wanted you could look into Fireworks.

eruct, Feb 10, 2008 IP
  14. wppotential

wppotential Banned

Best Answers:
    Depending on what you want to do, Either or is for you. :)

I use both, since I get asked to create Vector Logotypes, which I find Illustrator easier to use, since it has a 'more powerful' pentool system.

However, Photoshop is more direct. I find it alot easier to create shapes, and alter images as needed. So I stick with photoshop.

wppotential, Feb 10, 2008 IP
  15. innovati

innovati Peon

Best Answers:
    Photoshop uses a rasterized canvas, meaning each canvas is a certain number of pixels wide, little dots, and all of the images are stored dot by dot, colour by colour. This is how photographs are stored.

Illustrator uses a vector canvas, meaning each shape id drawn based on a set of dots and connecting lines. This means you can zoom in until the image is the size of north america and it still wouldn't be pixellated because it redraws it based on those intructions. This makes file-sizes small and images oerfect quality. This is called a vector image.

I would recommend, if you don't already have illustrator, there's an open-source programs that I find better than illustrator: inkscape (inkscape(dot)org)

Try it out and see what it feels like before spending all the money for illustrator, (if you find you still need it after learning inkscape)

hope this helps!

innovati, Feb 18, 2008 IP
  16. oo7ml

oo7ml Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi, thanks for all your responses, however i have one quick question regarding illustrator.

If i create a new logo 400 x 300 in illustrator, how do i make that small logo into a 2400 x 1800 logo (as it won't loose quality).

So if someone asks me for the logo in a large size, what is the best way of getting the original logo to this large size, thanks

oo7ml, Feb 19, 2008 IP
  17. innovati

innovati Peon

Best Answers:
    okay, if you go under file > export > (png) or whatever > i brings you a dialog box that asks what pixel resolution you want. Screen is 72 or 90, print needs 300 dpi, but if you export it at 6000 dpi it will be VERY big. I guess you have to do a little math with illustrator.

In inkscape however, shift-alt-e brings up the export dialog box and you can specify easily in pixels ecactly how big you want it and at what resolution.

If it's a simple logo you can always save it from illustrator as an SVG provided the text is all outlined-mode and no longer editable text (which it should be for a logo) and inkscape and illustrator can both share SVG's because it's a standardized vector format made by the same people who make HTML and CSS.

innovati, Feb 19, 2008 IP