1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My First Vector Art. Critique Pls.

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by geekos, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    the hair of the girl looks like if you cut the hair from the original picture and then you pasted it in the vectorized hair .. except that, i really like it .

P/S : The lips of the guy look like if he were using lipstick or something like that :p .. you should try a new color there .

Nice work .

Valentin, Feb 21, 2008 IP
  2. immortality

immortality Peon

Best Answers:
    They look great. You could work on a couple things, though. On the first one the lips could be more man-like. On the second one the hair could be better and detail should be put into the teeth.

All in all they are great for your first vectors. Keep up the good work.

immortality, Feb 21, 2008 IP
  3. JakeCohen

JakeCohen Peon

Best Answers:
    It's nice! Very nice!

It sort of seems like you just did that bitmap break apart thing in Flash and then messed with it a bit. I doubt you did these from scratch.

Correct me if I'm wrong?

JakeCohen, Feb 21, 2008 IP
  4. innovati

innovati Peon

Best Answers:
    Astounding for first time, you've got some real talent indeed!

A site you would most likely enjoy is Vexels.net. It's a community site for people who make vector images by hand and they're super-helpful. They've got a nive forum and thousands of images - you'll love it there too!

innovati, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  5. cykill

cykill Active Member

Best Answers:
    vector or pop art ?

cykill, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  6. innovati

innovati Peon

Best Answers:
    vector or pop art.....

Vector artwork is artwork done in vector graphics, where it stores nodes the the lines that join them in text-based format, as opposed to raster/bitmapped graphics where it stores pixels and the colours they are.

Pop art, or any art style for that matter, can be done in either raster or vector formats. These were created as vector and saved to raster so you could see it in your browser.

And for the record, vector or not, I don't by any means consider them pop-art and I've got college art history under my belt ;)

7. NuRelic

NuRelic Peon

Best Answers:
    Did you do a Live Trace on pictures to get that effect or did you create the images freehand? The reason I ask is because of the reflection of the guy's ear in his glasses, it's almost too perfect and the background is different. In any event, it's nice and I wouldn't really add or take away from what anyone else has already stated.

I've created the same type of effect using Photoshop after cropping out the skin, hair, eyes, etc. into their own layers before moving them into Illustrator to trace each layer one at a time so as to limit the Max number of colors I used on each layer. The only problem I had doing that was that the trace creates some over-flows (for lack of a better way to say it that need to be cleaned up). Is that what you did, just curious?

NuRelic, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  8. innovati

innovati Peon

Best Answers:
    just os ya know, I am thoroughly disappointed in the LiveTrace feature in illustrator. I also use Inkscape, an open-source vector art program in many way superiour to Illustrator, and it uses a PoTrace plugin to do it's bitmap tracing which is WAY BETTER than illustrator's live trace.

If any of you are thinking of doing any live-tracing, seriously check out inkscape.org an dwnload your copy.....

you can always import and SVG into illustrator, and inkscape can save to a number of formats illy can import.

Best of luck guys/gals, innovati!

9. NuRelic

NuRelic Peon

Best Answers:
    Duely noted, thank you sir!

NuRelic, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  10. innovati

innovati Peon

Best Answers:
    I find inkscape to be better with the graphics side of things. Pen tool etc etc than illy. You can do alpha gradients and all kinds of simple thing you'd think illustrator would do, but doesn't. Import PNG's with transparency etc etc.

There was a time in college when I would get a project assigned in class, I would walk home, do the thing in inkscape, walk back, grab a cup of coffee and a donut at tim horton's and get back to class when all of my classmates were still 1/2 done.

I mean it's more intuitive and powerful for vector graphics. It doens't have near the typographic capabilities of illy, but isnce it's free get and use both whenever it's advantageous and you're only further ahead right?

11. NuRelic

NuRelic Peon

Best Answers:
    If it's that good, then I'm definately interested. I got plans over the weekend, but come Monday I'll be downloading it and start playing with it at work. Thanks for the tip. Now all I need to do is figure out where the the little scales are that I'm suppose to click in order to give reputation, because inkscape sounds like it could be a very useful tool that I could really use.

NuRelic, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  12. innovati

innovati Peon

Best Answers:
    inkscape is better with graphics, illustrator is better with text handling (things like leading, letterspacing etc etc)

Inkscape has an irc channel @ irc.freenode.net #inkscape where they can help you answer your questions or figure things out 24/7

Inkscape has GREAT tutorials under the help section, and it's got a wonderful wiki on their website as well - so for learning to use it, you're never alone, there's a whole community of people waiting to help you out.

innovati, Feb 23, 2008 IP
  13. geekos

geekos Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    wow! Thanks for the critiques DP;)

@innovati, Thanks for introducing InkScape, ill try to explore it this weekend.

Thanks!

geekos, Feb 23, 2008 IP
  14. reezluv

reezluv Active Member

Best Answers:
    wa..nice starts..well done man..:D

reezluv, Feb 23, 2008 IP
  15. Jerky

Jerky Guest

Best Answers:
    wow! i am now in practicing to make a vector. what program you use?

Jerky, Feb 25, 2008 IP
  16. geekos

geekos Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    im using Photoshop ;)

geekos, Feb 25, 2008 IP