1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I use GIMP to edit

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by Biztone, Mar 21, 2008.

I did a lot image editing a while back making icons for a MySpace support site. I now want to make a logo for my blog http://www.biz-tone.blogspot.com. I have been using a version GIMP (The GNU Image Manipulation Program). Is this program going to cut it for making a good looking logo. I simply don't have the budget to buy Photoshop or other software. Any suggestions?

Biztone, Mar 21, 2008 IP
    scorpionagency likes this.
  2. briteday

briteday Active Member

Best Answers:
    GIMP should be able to do it. However, I am actually looking for a better (and free) program. It is ackward to work with .psd files... although I have managed a few workarounds. Bottomline, I have made some great header graphics with GIMP, so it should be doable (albeit maybe frustrating). Good luck!

briteday, Apr 10, 2008 IP
  3. scorpionagency

scorpionagency Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ok aspiring designers, here's the Top contenders for Free OpenSource design software:

(For Raster/Paint) GIMP Or GimpShop <<~~ This version is laid out like PhotoShop ~ You can even follow Photoshop tutorials step by step & get the same results.

(For Vector) InkScape

(For FLASH) OSFlash

(For 3D) Blender

(For screenShots & Presentations) WINK

I hope the above Opensource software collection helps, Good luck! :)

Always remember, ~ Anyone can learn how to use a software, however creativity comes from within, without creativity, it's just a software! ~

(Once you generate a little profit using OpenSource, invest into a paid software with the profits)

scorpionagency, Apr 10, 2008 IP
  4. Limmy

Limmy Guest

Best Answers:
    This may or may not be useful, but I'd seriously suggest investing in paintshop pro or photoshop, because GIMP really doesn't do what it says on the tin. I've used it in the past for various projects/hours of procrasinating, and it just doesn't work in the way I'd like it to. Then again it's simple so some prefere it.

Limmy

Limmy, Apr 10, 2008 IP
  5. mktlvgkyle

mktlvgkyle Peon

Best Answers:
    GIMP should be able to help you design the graphics you need. The only real issue I've ever run into with GIMP is sometimes it's interface can be a little trickier than Photoshop, but for the price of GIMP (free) you can't go wrong!

mktlvgkyle, Apr 10, 2008 IP
  6. PS_of_Carramba.net

PS_of_Carramba.net Peon

Best Answers:
    GIMP is nearly as potent as Photoshop. The only issue with GIMP is that when you are accustomed to working in Photoshop GIMP's interface will feel sooo awkward. I remember I had problems with croping to selection in GIMP :)

PS_of_Carramba.net, Apr 10, 2008 IP
  7. Limmy

Limmy Guest

Best Answers:
    Maybe just I'm an awkward bastard then :(

Limmy, Apr 10, 2008 IP
  8. PS_of_Carramba.net

PS_of_Carramba.net Peon

Best Answers:
    You surely are :) But after using GIMP for a while (I'm now on Ubuntu Linux) I also turned into awkward GIMP-using bastardo, so there's now two of us.

PS_of_Carramba.net, Apr 10, 2008 IP
  9. scorpionagency

scorpionagency Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I always suggest the GimpShop over GIMP for people that like photoshops interface, yet don't have the money to invest. It's still GIMP, just redesigned for people that like photoshop & compatible with photoshop tutorials - step-by-step. I edited the above post with a link to gimpshop as well :)

scorpionagency, Apr 10, 2008 IP
    PS_of_Carramba.net likes this.
  10. Biztone

Biztone Peon

Best Answers:
    This is EXACTLY what I was looking for when I posted this! Thank you, thank you, thank you. (adding rep)

I agree about the interface being tricky. I for the life of me I can't find tools on how to draw a straight line, box, or circle (basic paint tools!).

Biztone, Apr 10, 2008 IP