1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Photoshop... Is it still the greatest for creating logos and grahics?

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by miguelflyat04, Apr 17, 2008.

I started using Photoshop a few years back and it is just great! I know there are new programs out there that do some of the things that take a little time in Photoshop and this new programs do it in no time. Nevertheless, I feel that if you know Photoshop good enough anything can be done in it. Today I still use Photoshop to create logos that win contests and I am totally happy with it.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
    Miguel :)

miguelflyat04, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  2. mjda

mjda Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I believe there are quite a few people who actually use Adobe Illustrator for creating logos. Other then that though, I would say, yes, Photoshop is probably the best to most people. This will absolutely depend on who you ask. If you like using it and are good with it, I would say it's the best for you. Others may find that it's a bit too expensive, or crowded and use something else, in which case they'll tell you their program is the best.

mjda, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  3. scart3r

scart3r Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Photoshop would win my vote EVERYTIME hands down - no competition. We had a few battles with each other early on - but me and photoshop get along lovingly now :D

scart3r, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  4. captainkimo

captainkimo Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, you can use Photoshop to design logos but when it comes down to getting it printed in vector format for a sign or a 2 color spot job to get that perfect PMS color, you just shot yourself in the foot. Just be sure you know what the logo is going to be used for and use the right software for the job.

captainkimo, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  5. Creative_illusion

Creative_illusion Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I think I will disagree with this. I have tried creating a large format banner for my offline client and printed it out in large scale xx number of inches. I made it from scratch, from logo in vector to the whole banner design using photoshop all the way. It's a WYSIWYG case. It all went good though,

it's a 4 thumbs up for photoshop on creating logo, though I tried Corel Draw but still I save the best for last and end up familiarizing photoshop more and more. Very mysterious graphics software man has created and you will discover more and more each day. :D

Creative_illusion, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  6. SEOptimizer

SEOptimizer Peon

Best Answers:
    Personally, photoshop is the best for everything but logos. It is much easier to use some kind of vector illustration software like Adobe Illustrator or InkScape (free) for making logos.

SEOptimizer, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  7. miguelflyat04

miguelflyat04 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks to all for replying... This is obviously a topic that no matter how many times it gets posted, it will always have a heated feeling to it. It is very interesting to see how many people love Photoshop for certain things and at the same time how many people hated for the same things.

I think no matter what, mot of us will agree that Photoshop is a very powerful program capable of doing just about anything. I have read many times that the only thumbs down may be on vector graphics but at the same time I have also read many disagreements about that.

Oh well... Keep those replies coming! I love hearing all the opinions about the different programs out there and what works best for what. I will be downloading InkScape to play around with it and see what it can do... but I will still use Photoshop for everything else I do in the meantime. Thanks!

8. godsofchaos

godsofchaos Peon

Best Answers:
    Illustrator or photoshop... both are the best... depends on the output of the files really... I personally do everything ("logo-ing" if thats a word) through photoshop though.... for vector logos, illustrator is far more superior cause of its nature.

godsofchaos, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  9. vertigoflow

vertigoflow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Illustrator is better for logos. It has stronger vector drawing tools and the results are scalable.

Photoshop is better for pixel-based projects like photo editing and things of that nature.

Luckily they work great together.

vertigoflow, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  10. captainkimo

captainkimo Peon

Best Answers:
    I was referring more towards vinyl signs. Using photoshop for 4 color printing is fine. Again, it comes down to what you need when it comes to the end result. As for Corel Draw, I hope that software burns in hell.

captainkimo, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  11. miguelflyat04

miguelflyat04 Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok... So I keep seeing the words LOGO and VECTOR. They just seem popular! lol

Logos... as far as website logos are concerned, does it really matter which software you use? I have won a few contests with logos I have created using Photoshop where the contest holder did not have a need for a vector file. (Because I am still unfamiliar with the vector stuff I just stay away from those contests)

Vectors... Is this perhaps the way to create logos/signs that will go outside a building?

Thanks again for the replies!

12. scorpionagency

scorpionagency Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't see how you created a Vector logo with photoshop & rendered it in a vector format for an offline client when photoshop is clearly a Paint/Raster software.

While, one pointed out the other day that photoshop does have a pen tool for points/paths (Which is what vector work with), it does not export/render into a 100% Vector file format. (This is why Adobe created illustrator - For vector graphics)

Now, I will agree that Photoshop is a great image editing / paint software, but as far as professional vector graphics that are flexible for any of a corporations needs, It's clearly not the top choice. 9 times out of 10 my clients Always ask for vector files, though the majority of my clients have a brick-n-mortar business as well as a complementing website.

I suppose I can see photoshop being ideal for strictly web & the occasional print job, But NOT in the majority.

Besides, I've heard from several others in the professional graphics industry that converting RGB to CMYK colors in photoshop tends to be off a few shades & sometimes wont match up at all. And as we all know, when it comes to print, CMYK palettes is the only way to go. :)

I'm a 2D Vector Graphics Creative Designer, so my opinion may be a little bias. Just putting in my 2 cents ;)

scorpionagency, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  13. turntablist100

turntablist100 Active Member

Best Answers:
    not sure why everyone says to use photoshop for logos but you should really be using illustrator to get a vector format.

turntablist100, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  14. EnPassant

EnPassant Active Member

Best Answers:
    Photoshop is the greatest software for creating any type of Web graphics you want. You just need to master it, and the limit is the sky and your creativitiy. But you can't really design logos in print format with it, you need the sister software, adobe Illustrator which creates the logo in EPS for print.

It depends on what you need, but usually adobephotoshop does what you want, web buttons, interfaces, banners,etc.

EnPassant, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  15. miguelflyat04

miguelflyat04 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks to all for the replies... The information gathered is great!

I am not leaning towards any side on this topic because I think everyone is right on their own point.
    I just wanted to read about everyone's opinion on the topic of Photoshop -vs- other programs to create logos, web graphics, and other great stuff.

miguelflyat04, Apr 18, 2008 IP
  16. tonyc

tonyc Peon

Best Answers:
    There are some alternatives like Gimp, Fireworks etc. But yeah pshop still has the lead.

tonyc, Apr 19, 2008 IP
  17. john247

john247 Peon

Best Answers:
    logos for the web are fine being created in both PS and AI. If yo uwant to print them to a high quality then AI is the way to go

john247, Apr 19, 2008 IP
  18. Mooseman

Mooseman Peon

Best Answers:
    Photoshop, by far imo. Unless you want vector, then Illustrator is the best I believe.

Mooseman, Apr 19, 2008 IP
  19. bstunt

bstunt Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    back in 2002 (high school days) I was actually helping my teacher on how to use photoshop... lol... 5 years later, I get an email from him asking me if i can be a guest speaker for his class =P ... Photoshop is still the best program out there, I use it when I design my vehicle wraps....

B.

bstunt, Apr 19, 2008 IP
  20. miguelflyat04

miguelflyat04 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the responses.... Again, it really seems that the majority of the people agree that Photoshop is the BEST for just about anything except for vector graphics.

I personally dont know that, but I am going to assume that... YES, this is true because I know that I have never created any vector graphics on Photoshop, but I do have created some very pretty logos using PS.
    I think PS is still the best software for ANY graphic work outside of vector graphics.

Cheers,
    Miguel

miguelflyat04, Apr 19, 2008 IP