1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Taking a digital photo of an image and getting white bground

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by CotswoldAdvisor, Apr 26, 2008.

Hi,
    I would like to know if anyone has any experience of taking photos of products to put on a website.
    I need to take some photos of shoes, where the company does not supply images, is there a special way to get the perfect white background?
    I have tried using white paper as background but it still comes out greyish, and i need pure white.
    Any hints, tips for this would be much appreciated.

CotswoldAdvisor, Apr 26, 2008 IP
  2. Colbyt

Colbyt Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Tweak your color balance manually in your camera. If shooting inside use "full spectrum" 5000K+ bulbs for the lighting. Don't use the flash and use white cloth instead of paper for less reflection of the background.

You can also tweak the colors in your graphics program though I don't recall which one you adjust.

Some combination of the above will get you the shot you want.

Colbyt, Apr 26, 2008 IP
  3. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    Kerosene, Apr 27, 2008 IP
  4. CotswoldAdvisor

CotswoldAdvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    CotswoldAdvisor, Apr 27, 2008 IP
  5. UpOnOffice

UpOnOffice Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a really cheap quick trick for you.

Shoot outside! What's happening here is that you do not have enough light and or the color temperature of your light source is off (yes, also the settings on your camera must be set to daylight balance if you are shooting in daylight). I'm not sure where you're located so the strength of the sun is different all around the world but if you wait for a somewhat cloudy day (to diffuse harsh sunlight) or photograph in early morning when it's not too bright out this will work. Be careful to not shoot under trees (you'll get a green overcast) or too close to a building that is painting anything other than white or gray (again, color cast).

A cloudy/overcast day is the perfect natural light box!

Do you have many products to shoot over many weeks? If you do then this is not practical and you'll need to buy/rent a light source. If you're located near Chicago/New York you can rent lights as well.

Does this help???

Kimberly

UpOnOffice, Apr 29, 2008 IP
  6. freebanner

freebanner Active Member

Best Answers:
    yeah shoot outside on a white background, and adjust levels in photoshop if its still alittle grey

freebanner, Apr 29, 2008 IP
  7. Merbenharry

Merbenharry Peon

Best Answers:
    i WOULD GIVE 5/5 FOR THAT REPLY !!!! DAY SUNLIGHT IS THE BEST WAY TO CAPTURE IMAGE WITH SUPER WHITE TEXTURE !!!!
    AND IF YOU ARE NOT SATISFIED USE PHOTOSHOP CS3 OR ANY OTHER SOFTWARE WHICH HAVE WHITE BALANCE....
    YOU CAN MAKE THE PICTURE QUALITY BETTER IF YOU CHOOSE TO USE SOME GRAPHIC SOLUTION

HOPE YOU HAVE IDEA TO MAKE IT BETTER

Merbenharry, Apr 29, 2008 IP
  8. flippers.be

flippers.be Peon

Best Answers:
    A good tip for someone who needs a light box: Ikea sells white plastic boxes that can be used -
    just put 2 large lights next to them, a large piece of white paper in it, and you have a good diffusing lightbox.
    Ideal for shooting small (reflecting) things.
    Once the lights are cooled off you can store them in the plastic box itself :)

Further check the manual of your camera , if you can set a manual whitebalance or select a correct preset.
    If possible on your camera shoot in raw format instead of jpeg and set the whitebalance later in editing.. that's how pros do it.

flippers.be, Apr 30, 2008 IP
  9. artguy51

artguy51 Active Member

Best Answers:
    You might also try this. In photoshop use your magic background eraser. Duplicate your background image then add a lalyer inbetween, fill with white. On the top layer use the MBE as long as there are no hot spots near the edges you should be good to go. flatten the image and save.

artguy51, May 5, 2008 IP
  10. praisehim

praisehim Peon

Best Answers:
    a white sheet?
    a white wall?
    check your lighting?
    a canvas?
    basically something hard and white

praisehim, May 5, 2008 IP