1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is the easiest CMS to use that still has good quality templates

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Webmaster2008, May 7, 2008.

What is the easiest CMS to be able to pump out websites quickly and efficiently?

I love the look of joomla and am using it now but it is a b#$tch to use. I mean just to change a header or change text size you need to go around editing css files and other garbage. I just want something that is easy to use, efficient and can make good quality professional looking websites.

Thanks.

Webmaster2008, May 7, 2008 IP
  2. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    The easiest one to use is probably Wordpress, but you are constrained by the Wordpress architecture - so the sites will look pretty much the same. The more flexibility you have, the more difficult it will be to change. Wordpress achieves its simplicity by enforcing a very strict architectural paradigm. You can't have one (ease of change) without the other (rigidity).

Rich

richrf, May 7, 2008 IP
  3. Webmaster2008

Webmaster2008 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah im not a huge fan of wordpress mainly because im not making blogs but rather websites that need to look professional.

I couldnt seem to find a good template for wordpress that didnt look blogish.

I like site studio as its very easy but all of their templates are garbage :-(.

Any others I should look into?

4. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    The next step up, with a good set of templates is probably Joomla. However, I think that Joomla also has a very blog-ish look. For more flexibility, you need to look at Drupal and ExpressionEngine. ExpressionEngine has lots of flexibility but very limited templates. It also has a per/installation cost. Drupal has a good set of templates, but is definitely more difficult to learn, develop, and maintain.

I think these probably have the most templates, but they all have pros and cons. Right now, I am looking into Drupal, but it is only because I have lots of time, and can do so.

Rich

richrf, May 7, 2008 IP
  5. Webmaster2008

Webmaster2008 Peon

Best Answers:
    I wish they could just make joomla a bit easier to use. It would be the ultimate CMS then. I would even pay for a copy.

I guess I will give Drupal a try but if its harder than joomla I will drop it quick.

Any other suggestions?

6. Suri.CMS

Suri.CMS Peon

Best Answers:
    Drupal is definitely harder than Joomla. So you may have to drop it ;)

You may try ArticleLive if you are willing to pay. They have decent (not great) templates. Go through their templates before you buy. Everyone's taste may be different. ;)

Suri.CMS, May 7, 2008 IP
  7. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Not really. Once you get into the other CMSs, you will be looking at lots of other issues, including limited resources. It would be nice if someone developed a WYSIWYG CMS tool, but so far we are not close to it - at least in the lost-cost market that I am looking at. Commercial products may be more advanced, but they are also probably much more than what I want to spend.

Rich

richrf, May 7, 2008 IP
  8. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Here is a link to some more advanced Wordpress Layouts. This pushes WP to its limits, utilizing various CSS capabilities.

Wordpress Magazine Themes

richrf, May 7, 2008 IP
  9. brainstormingin

brainstormingin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you want to make really simple sites lightneasy is really easy and fast. Only one file has to be manipulated for the template. You can take any design and convert it into an template very quickly.

I

brainstormingin, May 7, 2008 IP
  10. Webmaster2008

Webmaster2008 Peon

Best Answers:
    I also want to emphasize I dont mind paying for the right program as long as its fast easy, has great templates and doesnt require you to do coding in any form for most tasks.

I was amazed that joomla makes you code just to change text size and to change a template header. I couldnt believe it. Felt like I was in the 90s or something lol.

Keep the reccomendations coming guys. ;)