1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What should i choose?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by kix_mc3, May 10, 2008.

Hello everyone! I own a domain and I have some ideas. I want to do something like resources for web designers, but also news, gallery and if possible a portfolio. For this i think Joomla is the best option. What do you think? It would be great if you could give me more CMS names.

Thank you,
    Cristian

kix_mc3, May 10, 2008 IP
  2. coder999

coder999 Banned

Best Answers:
    how about PHPNuke ?

coder999, May 10, 2008 IP
  3. Stone2000

Stone2000 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have experience with joomla cms. Joomla is user friendly and the easy installation.

Others cms I only know drupal and mambo.

Stone2000, May 10, 2008 IP
  4. yakusokutebayo

yakusokutebayo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've been using wordpress forever and mambo occasionally. It's just lately that i'm experimenting with drupal. I think drupal is quite powerful for a portal and cms, despite for it being free. Probbly you could give it a shot.

yakusokutebayo, May 10, 2008 IP
  5. mario87

mario87 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think joomla is best choise

mario87, May 12, 2008 IP
  6. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    First and always, I recommend Wordpress. If you can do it in Wordpress, then do it. It will save you lots of headaches. After that, it is choosing the best of so-so choices. I don't like Joomla's architecture, and I also don't like the Joomla developers provide very poor poor backward between versions. Drupal has a far superior modular architecture that provides freedom of design, however the learning curve is much longer. ExpressionEngine has a good architecture and excellent backward compatibility, but the documentation is some of the worst I've ever seen, and requires great perseverance.

The other popular (and not so popular) CMS packages are either very buggy, in their initial releases, or very expensive. Many organizations just roll their own rather than get involved with the unpredictability of opensource or small companies selling expensive software.

So, I would advise you to check out Wordpress. I think you can build the site you want using Wordpress plugins. You'll have a stable, secure platform with a minimum amount of headaches.

Rich

richrf, May 12, 2008 IP
  7. me4you

me4you Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Joomla will be the best one as a sure, so use that. :)

me4you, May 12, 2008 IP
  8. kix_mc3

kix_mc3 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you all for your replies! Yesterday I started using Wordpress but after searching for plugins, themes, i realise that Wordpress isn't what i'm looking for. So, I installed Joomla and started the work :D. Isn't that easy, but i'm better than joomla :D. I hope in 2 days to have the site done. You know, when you're waiting to see a project done, tseems like the time had stoped.
    I never heard about ExpressionEngine, this isn't free, ins't it?

kix_mc3, May 12, 2008 IP
  9. Suri.CMS

Suri.CMS Peon

Best Answers:
    $ 100 for a personal license...

Suri.CMS, May 12, 2008 IP
  10. kix_mc3

kix_mc3 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think it worths, when we ave Joomla and many others :D

kix_mc3, May 12, 2008 IP
  11. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    It is actually more than worth it, assuming that you can figure out the architecture. It is far more stable and has much more functionality/flexibility when compared to Joomla, via EE's weblog capability. What's more, EE has backward compatibility which more than offsets any cost. Heck, if you save a couple of hours in development time and cost, you have paid for it! The next version, will be extensible via the integrated Codeigniter environment. What I don't like about the product, is the horrible documentation. I may, or may not, figure out how to use it (my php, css, and html knowledge is at the beginners level). I just don't want to risk the time and effort.

Rich

richrf, May 12, 2008 IP
  12. Newviewit

Newviewit Active Member

Best Answers:
    ModxCMS is the way of the future...relatively new with AJAX features and the freedom to design/code whatever you want. Modx is not limited to cookie cutter templates like the rest of them

Newviewit, May 12, 2008 IP
  13. kix_mc3

kix_mc3 Active Member

Best Answers:
    WOW! I must say that i never heard about that CMS but that's just what i'm looking for! :D Thank you very much! That's much easy than Joomla!, but i still can't figure something out, how can i make "Blog" section being the default page? Does anybody knows?

Thank you very much once again!

kix_mc3, May 13, 2008 IP