1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Kind of new to CMS, need some help...

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Shocka, May 23, 2008.

Hi, As the title reads, I am fairly new to CMS. The only things I have used before are WordPress and Joomla. For a particular website of mine, I am trying to make a backend content management for a freeware game downloads website. I would need the CMS to allow me to create pages simply with the title of the game, brief description, pic of game, and download link. The other request is for games to be added to specified categories. How can I achieve this? Is there a particular script that is easy to edit so that I can make this happen? Are custom scripts easy?

I really hope someone can set me straight on this topic because its something I am definetly trying to do. Thanks.

Shocka, May 23, 2008 IP
  2. Astroman

Astroman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Astroman, May 23, 2008 IP
  3. Shocka

Shocka Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's along the right lines. I'm trying to stay away from using Joomla though because I think there would be too many extras whereas I just need some very simple functions.

Shocka, May 23, 2008 IP
  4. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

You can Google or search Digitalpoint for arcade game scripts. I can't vouch for any, and in most cases, the scripts are poorly written. But look for one that has a decent user base and a support forum, and you may get lucky.

Rich

richrf, May 23, 2008 IP
  5. Shocka

Shocka Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I took a look at arcade scripts but they're not suitable. I would love to create my own script to run... can anyone point me towards a guide on how to create one??

Shocka, May 23, 2008 IP
  6. dylanj

dylanj Peon

Best Answers:
    If you really want to make your own script and you don't have any coding knowledge or your coding knowledge is limited, try www.w3schools.com. If you have all the required skills for it, then I suggest a nice relaxing Google search :)

dylanj, May 23, 2008 IP
  7. devarts

devarts Banned

Best Answers:
    hotscripts.com have lots and lots of different scripts you might ever need try there first and see if you can run one and then maybe get a custom one:)

devarts, May 24, 2008 IP
  8. Shocka

Shocka Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I decided to hunt through hotscripts.com and I came across one. It's paFileDB which is now what I am using on http://www.gamegrab.net/index.php. It's pretty easy to customize and once I get it looking good, it will be a solid and easy script to continue to add more downloads.

So, if you're in the same boat that I was in, it might be worth checking that script out. Also, if anyone comes across something similar (or better), dont hesitate to drop a line here.

Shocka, May 27, 2008 IP