1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My Digg & Google Trends Experiment

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by thsadmin, Jun 25, 2008.

Hey guys,

I started a blog 3 days ago to share my online endeavors, well I wanted to walk any one who bothers to follow my blog and posts through a step by step guide on how to use Digg and Google Trends to catch some quick traffic based on popular searches.

Digg : is obviously the social bookmarking website, I use Digg because it has some authority and the Digg submission is generally indexed within hours.

Google Trends : this is a cool tool and one of my favorites, I always follow trends and see what would be easy to dominate in the search engines.

My Mission :

I chose a simple search phrase that was popular through out the day, it was a long search and had various similar popular searches. The competition was also weak and only 1000s of results were present in Google.

The search was :

disney.com/camp rock

All I did :

was write a post about my attempt to get into the top 10, the title of the post was disney.com/camp rock, i added some relevant content with my instructions and guide, then i simply submitted the post to digg and stumble upon - possibly del.ico.us also.

Then my second post :

The second post was my original digg, I submitted my blog details to my digg account, then I chose the blog this Digg option, so my second post was very simlar to the first, but I changed the title to the second most searched phrase for the same content : Disney Channel.com/Camp Rock . I again added an update on my attempt and some relevant content related the post.

Again I submitted the post to digg.

Conclusion :

24 hours later and the digg submissions are in the top 10 results for the popular searches that I chose, I have had over 200 uniques visit my blog nad 2000 page views, so this was a simple excercise and took all up about an hour, pretty simple and effective.

My Blog Posts :

http://www.camshrine.com/?p=42 - the original.
    http://www.camshrine.com/?p=51 - the second post.
    http://www.camshrine.com/?p=54 - the conclusion.

I will be doing another campaign now, this time I will target a harder topic and search phrase, that I choose from Google Trends.

Thanks for reading if you got this far, feel free to try it your self and let me know how you go.

Jason

thsadmin, Jun 25, 2008 IP
  2. bobchrist

bobchrist Active Member

Best Answers:
    That sound good, Google Trends/Google readers both work nice, through google readers you can be able to keep track of relevant site and it help you filter out sites for backlinking and somewhat help you in benchmarking too. To utilize effectively Digg, if you extend your friend network by inviting others, it will help you to send them "shout" for digging of your posts.

bobchrist, Jun 25, 2008 IP
  3. thsadmin

thsadmin Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yup I like this method, i am just starting my next mission, i am testing the theory - that if I can get 200 uniques with just one campaign, what if I try three campaigns within one day - will I get 600 uniques ? in theory the answer is maybe .... so i will try it out.

But they key to the first campaign is the "Disney Channel.com/Camp Rock" - search term, I mean there's hardly any competition and it was highly searched Yesterday - so jumping on board early-ish and catching the tail traffic was easy.

4. theredgiant

theredgiant Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I could not follow from this part. Why did you write a 2nd post? can you elaborate a little. Sorry for being dumb.

theredgiant, Jun 25, 2008 IP
  5. thsadmin

thsadmin Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Sure thing, I write the original post based on the key words that I grab from Google Trends, then I submit it to Digg, once submitted I then visit the Digg submission page - then click the Blog this Digg, OK ? now this submits the Digg to my Blog (as a new post - 2nd post), then I finish the second post which is very similar to original.

Now I change the second posts title to the second most searched phrase which was "Disney Channel.com/Camp Rock"

Then I digg the second post aswell.

Now after doing these posts and digging them I have both the diggs within the top 10 in Google for the search terms.

6. theredgiant

Best Answers:
    Ok. I got it. What if you don't write the 2nd post? Won't you still get ranked in Google since you already submitted your 1st post to Digg, and digg articles get indexed by google pretty soon.

theredgiant, Jun 25, 2008 IP
  7. thsadmin

thsadmin Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yup sure the original post will be indexed and will do very well by itself, but i wanted to be found in Google for several popular searches, the second was slightly different to the first post and digg submission.

I will report back with todays stats for the campaign above, because I am still getting some good traffic from this campaign and now my site is even getting direct traffic also - but not from Google - I am actually getting some traffic from Yahoo.

8. thsadmin

thsadmin Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    OK here are the stats for today if you wish to follow my progress :

http://www.camshrine.com/?p=65

I have gone from 2 unique visits to 442 Uniques within 5 days of creation of the Blog.

9. priandoyo

priandoyo Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi thsadmin,
    I'm agree with your strategy using digg.com, however i'm not so agree with using google trends. by using digg we can got around 100 unique visitor easily by posting a quite unique digg style post. CMIIW, just my two cents

priandoyo, Jun 25, 2008 IP
  10. michael.aulia

michael.aulia Active Member

Best Answers:
    I can never make good traffic out of Digg, I don't know why

michael.aulia, Jun 25, 2008 IP
  11. thsadmin

thsadmin Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    yeah I know you can, but what and who do you target ? are you getting Digg users and members as traffic ?

I am showing how to find the latest search trends and then aim for less competitive terms, then catch the direct Google traffic from the Digg submission - hence I use Digg as the authority site to dominate a search result within 8-12 hours. This in turn can catch the search craze during or at the tail end of the search frenzy.

Today I have had 600 uniques to a new blog that's just 5 days old .... so i want to teach the new guys and old, that it's possible and easy to get visitors quickly and for free.

12. thsadmin

thsadmin Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You can have a browse at my test yesterday also, I just finished the post, within this post you will see the three Digg submissions, the three search terms that I targeted and i have posted the results 16 hours later, out of the 6 Diggs - three of them are in the top 10 in Google.

http://www.camshrine.com/?p=69

13. theredgiant

Best Answers:
    I just subscribed to Google trends list. LOL :D

theredgiant, Jun 26, 2008 IP
  14. adithya

adithya Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I read the post twice..and then i understood.. :)

"You are getting traffic by google searches and not from digg
    But digg acts like hyperlink to ur site and it is more indexed and has high SERP and hence u got so much UV's
    That means digg can also be used to act like high SERP hyperlink to one's post"

Please tell me whether i understood ur logic completely..
    BTW i never thought about this method ....thanks a lot..:D

adithya, Jun 26, 2008 IP
  15. narsticle

narsticle Peon

Best Answers:
    nice stuff, ill have to check it out

narsticle, Jun 26, 2008 IP
  16. thsadmin

thsadmin Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Exactly, I always go into to much detail and make it more confusing. yesterday I had a really good day, I will write an update today in my blog - I am going out for a few hours, but check out the traffic growth in under a week of launching.

[​IMG]

who knows if I can keep this up, but it's not a fluke and doesn't take a lot of time either.

Attached Files:

thsadmin, Jun 26, 2008 IP
    dlm likes this.
  17. dlm

dlm Peon

Best Answers:
    This is the first truly useful thread I've seen on DP in weeks.

Rep added - well deserved!

dlm, Jun 26, 2008 IP
  18. auburnfan23

auburnfan23 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nice Info I will add rep aswell.. My question is do you have your blog moneitized at all yet? I did not see any Ads on the article I looked at, just wondering how well this traffic will convert.

auburnfan23, Jun 26, 2008 IP
  19. Shay

Shay Member

Best Answers:
    Google Trends for websites (the new version) is a great tool that you can use to get a lot of valuable information.

I am using it in a different way (check my signature), but its nice to see how people find different ways to leverage their marketing efforts with Google Trends.

Thanks for sharing.

Shay, Jun 26, 2008 IP
  20. thsadmin

thsadmin Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Thanks, I wasn't sure how the information would go at DP, many people just don't take the information in and just browse through it or just see it as hype / fluff.

Thanks also, nope I don't have it monetized, I was just mucking around and having a rest from my usual work, I have used this technique for a while, but i haven't worked for my self for a while (if that makes sense) - I have been promoting and working for others.

I will need to have a look at the traffic sources and start tracking the campaigns a little closer and I will also implement some tracking that others can follow live. But I don't see an issue with this traffic as it's not Digg members or users ( that I know of ) - it's traffic from Google.

I will start the update and conclusion post soon ....

thsadmin, Jun 26, 2008 IP
    auburnfan23 likes this.