1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Image To Vector Creation

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by BlastLTD, Jul 9, 2008.

Would appreciate any help on ways to convert regular images into vectors. Maybe there is a great software that does it or a manual tutorial out there?

Thanks

BlastLTD, Jul 9, 2008 IP
  2. Varelse

Varelse Peon

Best Answers:
    It depends on your images. I wouldn't recommend any automated method (like LiveTrace) for tracing logos, while for photos they're quite OK. But even with the photos and the auto-tracing, you will never get close to the quality of an experienced designer/illustrator's work.
    You can also consider outsourcing your vectorizing tasks if you don't feel comfortable with a vector drawing program like Illustrator/Corel/InkScape.

Varelse, Jul 9, 2008 IP
  3. scorpionagency

scorpionagency Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have to fully agree with Varelse... You never retain the quality the image deserves with a converting software, it's best to hire a professional to illustrate it manually from scratch.

As far as the conversion softwares go for photo's, the best I've seen on the market is "VectorMagic". It's an online application ONLY developed & hosted by a University. They allow 1 free conversion to try it out & then you have to pay for further usage. You can check them out Here http://vectormagic.com .

scorpionagency, Jul 9, 2008 IP
  4. Norebbo

Norebbo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Agreed. The cool thing about vectormagic is that it does a better job than Illustrator's Live Trace. It's still not perfect (nothing is), but it's worth paying the fee if you need to trace something really quick.

Norebbo, Jul 9, 2008 IP
  5. PluT0

PluT0 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i can make custom photo to vector for you. just pm me for the price. :)

PluT0, Jul 9, 2008 IP
  6. BlastLTD

BlastLTD Member

Best Answers:
    I did contact you about a quote. Thanks

BlastLTD, Jul 10, 2008 IP
  7. PluT0

PluT0 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    already pm ed you. check it out pls

PluT0, Jul 10, 2008 IP
  8. killerkitten

killerkitten Peon

Best Answers:
    depends what type ofvector ur after, if you are using photoshop all i do is find an image i like and erase round it, the more time you take the better the outcome, but takes a while and may not be what your after.

killerkitten, Jul 10, 2008 IP
  9. scorpionagency

Best Answers:
    Thats not vector KillerKitten.... That would still be a raster image. Photoshop is a Paint/Raster software & does not output into any Vector extensions. Vector graphics are normally 100% Points/Paths - meaning everything is editable (from the small dot on a shoe, to the outline, to the colors, etc... - Everything). :)

scorpionagency, Jul 10, 2008 IP
  10. killerkitten

killerkitten Peon

Best Answers:
    you learn something new everyday lol

killerkitten, Jul 11, 2008 IP
  11. Tasha25

Tasha25 Peon

Best Answers:
    Photoshop can actually handle vectors, as it can create 100% points and paths. I make vectors in it and these can also be loaded into Illustrator and resized because it's completely points and paths. There are quite a few tutorials and stuff out there explaining it all.

VectorMagic does seem pretty good for a quick and easy trace, but if you want something more involved, it's better to get it custom done. :)

If you still need some help, feel free to PM me for a quote!

Tasha25, Jul 11, 2008 IP
  12. icetrax

icetrax Peon

Best Answers:
    Vectormagic.com is actually very, VERY good raster to vector converter, when it comes to simple shapes such as logo etc.

icetrax, Jul 11, 2008 IP
  13. scorpionagency

Best Answers:
    Photoshop has a pen tool (which is a vector points/paths tool) however it is NOT a vector software & should not be used as a replacement to vector software.

While I do agree Photoshop has some minimal Vector capabilities, I totally disagree that it should be used as a vector solution just because it can be imported to Illustrator.

If you want 100% Vector, just use illustrator & eliminate having to import a .psd to continue working on it. :) Seems rather pointless to use 2 different software's to accomplish what 1 software can, Unless you are merely using the other software's for cross-platforming.

That's my take on it anyways! :D

scorpionagency, Jul 11, 2008 IP