1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Apple or PC for Web Design

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by Jimbob1208, Jul 22, 2008.

Hi,

I am thinking of converting from a windows based PC to an Apple Mac and wondered how good Apple's and Apple Software is for web design and associated tasks.

I know that the latest MACs come with a dual partition so it is still possible to run windows based software on them.

However, I curious to know how good MAC's are and MAC software is for web design if I only wanted to use these products?

Thanks

Jimbob

Jimbob1208, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  2. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    If you want a Mac, buy one. There's plenty of PC applications that are also available on Mac, and plenty of alternatives for the ones that aren't. Just don't expect the end result to be any different between PC and Mac. It's the user that matters :) :p

I primarily use Photoshop, Dreamweaver and Filezilla for work - which are available for both OSs. I use a Mac occasionally, and once I start working I forget that I'm not on a Windows machine. It doesn't matter what OS is underneath.

Kerosene, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  3. kumbhdesign

kumbhdesign Banned

Best Answers:
    i think, kerosene is right

kumbhdesign, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  4. Norebbo

Norebbo Active Member

Best Answers:
    I was entirely PC based up until about 6 months ago - then I switched to Mac. The work is exactly the same, and the Mac won't make it look any better than a PC will. As kerosine said above, that part is up to you!

But working on a Mac is a better experience (for me, anyway). I feel like I can navigate around a lot easier, which tends to allow me to work faster.

Norebbo, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  5. poison_paradize

poison_paradize Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree, whether it's Apple or PC, it is the designer that matters. Not really the tools he/she uses.

poison_paradize, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  6. resto

resto Peon

Best Answers:
    I would like to try out a MAC but the cost keeps me in my PCs.

I run on a small budget so I get what works and what is less expensive.

resto, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  7. inzpiration

inzpiration Active Member

Best Answers:
    The Designer matters, I like that, well i have a Mac and a PC and I use both of them .

inzpiration, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  8. DanFlo

DanFlo Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are doing design, video editing go for a MAC.
    Many serious company's use them.

DanFlo, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  9. boddog

boddog Peon

Best Answers:
    well I like Mac better
    but sometime PC users found that Mac is hard to use :(
    because the entire OS interface is unfamiliar to PC users

but overall Mac Applications looks much better than PC applications

if you buy a Mac, don't give up during the first 1 or 2 months after you start to use Mac

you might encounter some frustrating issues on how to use Mac OS, but after 1 or 2 month of using Mac
    you will fall in love with Mac like I did, and you might probably won't even want to use PCs anymore :)

boddog, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  10. OliverBlake

OliverBlake Peon

Best Answers:
    I use a PC at home for making some websites, but at work I use a Mac. I might eventually get a Mac, once I have enough money, but I'll keep my pc as a back up. The Mac OS is better than XP and nicer to look at, but I'll never stop using a PC.

OliverBlake, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  11. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    Serious companies use Linux.

:p

Kerosene, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  12. poison_paradize

poison_paradize Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    lol but PC or Mac refers to the hardware :p and linux is a software

:D

poison_paradize, Jul 25, 2008 IP
  13. im_savage_rawr

im_savage_rawr Peon

Best Answers:
    Ive tried out macs at my college, its not all that. I love the pc, the only good thing about the mac is pro tools for musicians

im_savage_rawr, Jul 27, 2008 IP
  14. bobzzz

bobzzz Active Member

Best Answers:
    You can get the best of all worlds and just get linux (ubuntu distro my choice) will be faster than windoze and has better eyecandy than mac.its cheaper,faster,free.its the future of computing.if you have any questions about that just PM me and i will be happy to answer any questions,OH yes and You can use GIMP on it (free photoshop type program)

bobzzz, Jul 27, 2008 IP
  15. 10 man

10 man Peon

Best Answers:
    LOL Ohh No! the Mac VS PC topic. To funny. Well I have macbook pro and a Windows workstation. I use them both for everything under the sun. The only problem I sometimes run into is a lot of fonts don't cross platform and when using some software like Adobe products the hot keys change slightly.Some say a Mac has a more stable OS. Some say Windows has more available software. They are both great and for a web designer it think its a good idea to use both operating systems for site testing purposes.

10 man, Jul 27, 2008 IP
  16. DS1989

DS1989 Banned

Best Answers:
    There is no difference.

DS1989, Jul 27, 2008 IP
  17. Sensei.Design

Sensei.Design Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    mac's are great but I would by a macbook and keep a normal windows pc not for graphic design but for watching movies and stuff because I guess it's easyer to handle and it got a wider screen most time :p

I own a macbook and I'm using it for designing and it's much faster and easy to handle. just keep in mind what you want to use the pc/macbook for

Sensei.Design, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  18. Jimbob1208

Jimbob1208 Active Member

Best Answers:
    There have been some really useful posts to this thread and it has convinced me to sell some stuff out the attic on ebay and get the cash for a Mac.

Whilst I appreciate that the end result of whatever you do on a PC or Mac is only ever as good as the user and the software I am drawn to the Mac because everyone seems to think that they are reliable, user friendly, fast and just oooz quality.

I am an amature web designer and just enjoy the creative side of building websites and working on images and graphics, mainly to build, maintain and update my business sites.

Jimbob1208, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  19. mike_eci

mike_eci Peon

Best Answers:
    Remember that if you get a mac, you need to check your sites on a PC, as the vast majority of viewers will see your work on one of those , not a mac. You can of course run windows on a mac if necessary e.g parallels

mike_eci, Aug 8, 2008 IP