1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Ways To Promote My Digg-Like Site

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by GetWebHost, Sep 17, 2008.

I'm looking for tips and ideas on how can I promote my Digg-style site in my signature.

I'm currently starting to do a little promotion such as submitting to RSS and blog directories. In the next day or two, I'll begin submitting it to general directories.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

GetWebHost, Sep 17, 2008 IP
  2. 010081

010081 Banned

Best Answers:
    you can submit to social bookmarking sites and similar digg like sites so peoples submitting to other digg likes sites will have similar interest and will also submit to your site.

010081, Sep 17, 2008 IP
  3. narsticle

narsticle Peon

Best Answers:
    PPC always works. Also press releases.

narsticle, Sep 17, 2008 IP
  4. GetWebHost

GetWebHost Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the advice. Maybe I will try PPC. Any more tips?

GetWebHost, Sep 18, 2008 IP
  5. web-realtor

web-realtor Peon

Best Answers:
    it's always difficult to start something similar to what is already popular out on the internet... however if you are looking to get some new traffic to your site a promotion or just to announce your site...
    i'd try social network places like the following...
    entrecard.com
    mybloglog.com
    mixx.com
    stumbleupon.com
    blogcatalog.com

and if all else i'd do like @narsticle mentioned and start a small PPC campaign.. you could by cheap penny click traffic at sites like Adengage.com...
    hope the advice helps

web-realtor, Sep 18, 2008 IP
  6. manifesto

manifesto Peon

Best Answers:
    The site looks really nice - you did a good job with the design. Is that a new version of pligg? It looks a bit better than the old version, or have you customized it?

Have you got a button so bloggers/website owners can include a “submit” button on their own site? It might be worth contacting a few bloggers and asking them to include the button.

Also, there are loads of sites that have articles like “100 social bookmarking and social news sites etc”. Why don’t you track them down and ask to be included on their list?

You’re going up against Sphinn and Plugim and Bloggingzoom. Sphinn has a strong community on the SEO and social media side, but from what I can remember, it doesn’t really cover affiliate marketing too much so it might be a good idea to go after all affiliate marketing bloggers initially as you won’t be trying to compete with Sphinn.

Can you automatically include posts from certain blog feeds? Maybe you could ask bloggers to include a badge on their page in exchange for automatically including their posts in your upcoming section.

I would target the following bloggers at first:

• Affilate marketing blogs
    • Work at home mom/dad blogs
    • PPC bloggers

Just send them an email and see if they respond. You need to build up a community otherwise it will become like thousands of other pligg sites where it ends up as a spam paradise.

Just my opinion anyway. Good luck with your site, it looks very promising.

manifesto, Sep 18, 2008 IP
  7. zurpit.com

zurpit.com Peon

Best Answers:
    Try submitting a press release and write articles about it

zurpit.com, Sep 18, 2008 IP
  8. GetWebHost

GetWebHost Active Member

Best Answers:
    @manifesto

It's the newest version of Pligg - Beta 9.9.5 using our own theme here: http://club.cmstheme.com

Currently, this is what we have already done:
    1. Contacted some bloggers from 45n5 Top 100 - most visits are coming from these guys
    2. RSS Feeds submitted
    3. Blogging directory submission - currently ongoing.

The site is still not yet complete but we are working on it. We will still add a "badge" or "vote button" that bloggers can put into their articles.

I'm only considering Sphinn as a half-competitor. I don't consider PlugIm and BloggingZoom as competitors. PlugIM is too wide on their niche. The same with BloggingZoom - btw we are also the one who makes the BlogginZoom theme :)

RSS importer of Pligg is still buggy, so we don't have that feature included - an even if it work, we won't do automatic posting of their RSS feeds becuase it will look like a spam paradise as you said.

If we fail to build a community with this site, we will still make this site lively and active - a sort of semi-blog where we are the only who will make posts :D

9. stanleytang

stanleytang Guest

Best Answers:
    Create buzz using social media. If your website is one that truly does provide VALUE for free, then it will be a lot easier to try get featured on Techcrunch. It's gotta be something truly EXCEPTIONAL for it to spread via word-of-mouth.

stanleytang, Sep 18, 2008 IP
  10. GetWebHost

GetWebHost Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's 100% free but I'm also 99% sure that this will not be entertain by Techcrunch because there are already a hundred of similar sites - the only difference is our niche.

11. manifesto

manifesto Peon

Best Answers:
    @GetWebHost

Congratulations – your themes are amazing. Really great work. I’ve bookmarked your page and will recommend whenever I chat to anybody with a Pligg site.

Re: PlugIM, you’re right it is a wide niche and doesn’t have the community that Sphinn has. I haven’t used BloggingZoom in a while, but Sphinn really does have a strong community. I visit it every so often and they have regular submitters there. If you can build up even half the community of Sphinn then your site will do really well.

It is certainly the best looking Pligg site that I’ve seen. I think that the vote button will at least brand your site. If you could get a few bloggers with it on there articles then people will be inclined to check it out.

The good thing is that the topics you are covering are not popular on the major sites (Digg, Reddit, StumbleUpon etc..). Most SEO/PPC articles will be buried pretty quickly on those sites, so you definitely have a chance of doing well with some targeted traffic. I wish you all the best with your site, I’m sure with the quality of the design, there will be bloggers and webmasters wanting to submit their articles to the site.

manifesto, Sep 18, 2008 IP
  12. GetWebHost

GetWebHost Active Member

Best Answers:
    I just added a WordPress plugin that let bloggers put the "vote button" or badge on their blog entries.

GetWebHost, Sep 19, 2008 IP
  13. webcosmo

webcosmo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Present it by participating on forums, having the link on sig. Also you can try other social networking sites.

webcosmo, Sep 19, 2008 IP