1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

An Experiment: The Social Network Effect, Is Content King?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by Daniel591992, Oct 12, 2008.

Hey,

I just launched my first "official" site. It's called "Organizing Your Photos" and explains, what I think is, the best way to organize digital photos. As you can see, I spend a lot of time on content and hope that that helps me in the long run. I want to see what happens when I create great content.

So far, I've spent about $80 on 3 domains (.com/net/org) and 6 months of prepaid hosting. My main goal is to make that up in six months and see what happens.

I don't really have a marketing plan (this is the first time I'm linking to it), but I hope Lifehacker picks it up (based on the content, if they see the site, it's very likely they'd blog about it). If they pick it up, I'm hoping digg, stumbleupon, reddit, etc will do the same. Then, bloggers will link to it, and Google traffic will come in (which means adsense clicks, I hope).

I'll keep this thread updated with my story as time goes on. Stay tuned.

PS: Does anyone think this will work? I'd love to get 100,000+ visits within 6 months.

Daniel591992, Oct 12, 2008 IP
  2. Daniel591992

Daniel591992 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Day One
    Pretty uneventful. A few hits here and there. All I did was two posts on DP, and a mention of my site in a digg comment. I went ahead and emailed three smaller productivity blogs to see if they give me a shout out.

Anyone have any tips?

3. l3vi

l3vi Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah... First write a press release then get on email and phone... keep knocking on doors till people start writing about your service. Make a list of a couple hundred news sources and start working the press for 3 months... Or dump around 40k into press services to launch your social network.

l3vi, Oct 12, 2008 IP
  4. Daniel591992

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the comment, but it's only one static page lol

I'm gonna look to get it translated into spanish and portuguese when I get the chance. Hopefully, someone writes about it. Can someone do the kind favor of submitting it to stumbleupon? :)

5. PoemofQuotes

PoemofQuotes Peon

Best Answers:
    Why launch it with only 1 page? That doesn't make much sense.

PoemofQuotes, Oct 12, 2008 IP
  6. blogdude

blogdude Peon

Best Answers:
    Unique, quality content is king.

Natural and well trusted links are queen.

If you build it correctly and follow Google TOS they (readers, buyers, etc...) will come.

You haven't even started to build it yet with under 10 pages.

A great hint is to find a way of making the site social so that you get other people to create your content for you. There is only so much content that one can make on their own. Once you can get others on board (like DIgg, Ezinearticles.com, Craigslist, etc...) you will undoubtedly become the latest golden boy of the internet.

For a great start read the forum threads here and you can also read some great posts and threads on my blog which is listed in my sig - there are a few on blogging and generating website revenue that have gone ballistic traffic wise.

blogdude, Oct 12, 2008 IP
  7. Daniel591992

Best Answers:
    Thanks a lot. But I want people to know that my goal is not to create a huge site. I only want one page. Really, the site in itself is like a blog post with a domain. Eventually, I hope to get it translated into spanish.

Daniel591992, Oct 13, 2008 IP
  8. Tuzic.com

Tuzic.com Peon

Best Answers:
    hi,

hope this works for you keep us updated with your success on it.

Tuzic.com, Oct 13, 2008 IP
  9. csroster

csroster Guest

Best Answers:
    Honestly I'm not seeing the connection between you having one page and seeing how many visitors you can get under the premise of 'content is king.'
    Wouldn't that require... A royal amount of quality content?

Not trying to be a drag, but if you're not selling anything on your site, it doesn't seem to be a community and you only have one page... Are you just trying to see if you can possibly get that many visitors while not making too big of a website for some reason? If that's the case, then its a different story.

csroster, Oct 13, 2008 IP
  10. nandalinnaung

nandalinnaung Peon

Best Answers:
    it's good to add more content coz people will just forget about it or they will print your one page and then, you will never get the repeated visitors, stickiness is the success of any website.

hope to see more actions..

nandalinnaung, Oct 13, 2008 IP